R Wilson, Seahawks must find third-down solutions in 2017

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Optimus25":4sx8n9hu said:
theincrediblesok":4sx8n9hu said:
We all know Wilson misses some passes but all QB's do.

64.7% is his 2nd highest completion percentage with 4219 total yards in 2016 being his highest yards, without looking at TD/INT ratios many people will take a QB with those stats.

The problem this year was getting TD's, it seemed like we were pushing to run deep plays all the time. Also the misses on Wilson part doesn't help as well but how much did the injury really affected him in those passes. Unexplained amount of overthrows that he usually fixes at the halfway mark.

The other thing I notice was that there were many times our WRs had a huge play where they would almost reach the goal line but stopped right at the 5 yard line, couldn't break that one extra tackle. This forced us in a condense space where it was almost impossible for this team to score in the redzone because we had no run game to help open any passes.

Why did we let Christine Michaels go halfway when he was our leading RB, we could of had him and Rawls and eventually our run game would of been better once Rawls settled in. We could of had the dynamic duo, if CJ Prosise was healthy could you imagine the three of them terrorizing defenses. The FO made a bad decision on that part I think of letting Michaels go too early.

The reason this happened is that Prosise clearly established himself as the feature back of the future, only to suffer a season ending injury the next game. While the gamble that he would stay healthy was certainly risky and the wrong move in hindsight, I think there is something we don't see at play as well regarding CM. I think with Pete and JS it's all about "buy-in", the system, our house mentality. Percy definitely didn't fit the mold, and after a full year of trying to reset his mindset, they had no problem cutting him mid-season to sever the ties. I think the only reason CM had a longer leash whatsoever was that he was "born" here. But the numerous times you would see CM on camera when his number wasn't called near the goal line clearly displayed his selfish, whiny nature and lack of "buy-in" for the team as a whole.

CJ HAS to stay healthy in order for us to negate the underwhelming OL. But that's exactly what a RB/WR hybrid does- he negates pass rush by forcing you to account for a sure handed, super elusive player out of the backfield. I know in the past we've said this many a offseason, but seriously if this offensive line can shore up just by incremental levels, and Russ stays healthy, imagine Russ running wild again, CJ, Paul Rich2.0, Jimmy, Doug, no-E and co with Rawls to do some dirty work.

To answer a question you posed though, I believe we were then and are now about to be "all in" on CJ, and as soon as he had his breakout game Pete had no intention of the 3 of them terrorizing anyone and he made the decision on CM and wasn't looking back.

And I agree with Pete actually.

I can understand the decision why they had to let Cmike go, just figured he would stay a bit longer, but then again like you said if he's not buying in there is not point to keep him.

I really hope CJ stays healthy next year, something I've notice about the Falcons is that their run game opened up their passing game. Their oline was ranked as bad as our passing oline, but they had a better run game, and the reason why is that they have two hybrid RB/WR. I think CJ and Alex Collins can actually do a bit of that.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
sdog1981":2xyu4ygm said:
FlyingGreg":2xyu4ygm said:
sdog1981":2xyu4ygm said:
Bevell offenses have always been awful on 3rd Down and Redzone. So at this point we only have two options.

1) Wilson sucks

2) Bevell sucks

I would trust Wilson with 31 other OC's then I would trust Bevell with 31 other QB's

No, not "always". Bevell's Vikings offense was good on 3rd downs.

The difference? A competent NFL line. And a HOF QB helped.

Tired of the line holding this team back. It's on you to fix it, Stubborn Pete.

By the way, its not all on Bevell. Wilson doesn't get a pass...he missed way too many throws last season. He needs to bounce back.

You are incorccet. Here is the 3rd conversion rates from 2006 onward.

It goes like this:

28th,26th,24th,5th,24th,24th,12,17th(Suprebowl champs),11th,4th,16th

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... /year/2006

In 2009 they were 5th. They had Brett Favre at QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2hymk0sx said:
sdog1981":2hymk0sx said:
FlyingGreg":2hymk0sx said:
sdog1981":2hymk0sx said:
Bevell offenses have always been awful on 3rd Down and Redzone. So at this point we only have two options.

1) Wilson sucks

2) Bevell sucks

I would trust Wilson with 31 other OC's then I would trust Bevell with 31 other QB's

No, not "always". Bevell's Vikings offense was good on 3rd downs.

The difference? A competent NFL line. And a HOF QB helped.

Tired of the line holding this team back. It's on you to fix it, Stubborn Pete.

By the way, its not all on Bevell. Wilson doesn't get a pass...he missed way too many throws last season. He needs to bounce back.

You are incorccet. Here is the 3rd conversion rates from 2006 onward.

It goes like this:

28th,26th,24th,5th,24th,24th,12,17th(Suprebowl champs),11th,4th,16th

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... /year/2006

They also had AP a HOF RB

Largent80

Reaction score
The goal is to always convert 3rd down on offense. Guess what?...The goal on defense is to prevent it.

We haven't been good at either of those so it's not ALL on the offense.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think a big part was Russ not being able to pull the ball down and run for first downs with his injury. That and not having that safey valve like Procise gave us to catch short passes and turn those into first downs. Look how the Pats make a living off that on thrid down.
Not just our passing game, we struggled on third and short running too. I think it was the Falcons game where we had 2-3 third and 1 or so and got stopped

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":3unjm6gg said:

They also had AP a HOF RB[/quote]

whats your point? Regardless of talent his offences are always in the lower half of the leagues conversion rates.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The team as a whole needs to fix 3rd down issues, offense and defense that's the solution for 2017.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2oaxlbv2 said:
lobohawk":2oaxlbv2 said:
Did the article note the avg distance in the 3rd down conversion attempts? (Yeah, I'm lazy). Seemed like I saw a lot more long 3rd downs this year. The failure rate is a bit meaningless, if it doesn't account for this.

Very astute. This is where basic rankings don't tell much of the story. This particular analysis is best done using advanced statistics. Situational components are critical in this regard.

How about how many times we are in 3rd down? It would be nice to convert on 1st and 2nd downs sometimes. It seems every set of downs always has to go to 3rd. NFL 3rd down attempts