Raible: Pete took offensive play calling before 2nd half?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":9hm5cnqm said:
Sgt. Largent":9hm5cnqm said:
This can't be true, cause if Pete took over the playcalling we would have just run Lacy up the middle 85 straight times.

Pete or fender?

lol.

I didn't have a problem at all with the playcalling yesterday. Now as Baldwin said, execution? Err, that's another story.

Terrible penalties, false starts, 3-4 big drops, Rawls fumble, Russell overthrowing TWO easy TD's, etc.

Still won 24-7, so hard to complain too much, and no complaining whatsoever about the playcalling, and if Raible did say that? It'd be all over Twitter and the news.

So I'm 99% sure Roland's hairdresser's best friend's garbage man who he heard talking to someone else through two Solo cups and a string was mistaken.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you watch the sidelines you'll notice that Pete is always active on both offense and defense, chiming in over his headset with whatever he wants. I imagine most of it is some variation of "Looks like a great spot to run the ball here!" on offense or some variation of "Keep playing it safe and let them make the mistakes" on defense.

You can tell he isn't doing actual play calling for the offense for a couple reasons. First, he doesn't have the play card which is that little laminated sheet you see coaches holding in front of their mouths when they remember to do so. Second and more importantly, it would be completely ridiculous. If Pete ever decides that he doesn't want Bevell calling plays there is a very long list of people with more than 0 experience who he could pay to do the job.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I've completely given up on it, and am trying to accept that I will be forced to watch Darrell Bevell destroy the career of Russell Wilson and transform him from once-in-a-generation talent to a "fairly decent" QB. I've given up on seeing our offense do anything in the first half - it's just a fact that we will not score in the first half, unless it's our defense. If you see us in the Red Zone in the first half, we will fail to score a TD and then our kicker will miss the FG from like 10 yards away.

Darrell Bevell is the worst OC in the NFL and I am just completely dumbfounded as to how he still has a job. But again, I've given up on it. I gave up my season tickets this year, have been selling them. Now I just record the games and pretty much skip through the first half. It's pointless and boring to watch.

We are the 92 Seahawks with a decent QB. That's it. I laugh at the idea of a Superbowl, that is just not happening as long as Bevell is here. And even if we somehow miraculously pull it off, like we did in 49, it will be the same story - some team completely blows it in the NFCCG after we do everything we can to lose (until the 4th quarter), then we go to the Superbowl and our incompetent offense blows chunks all day and we lose because of some stupid playcalls in the red zone. This is just how it is with Bevell. Depressing as hell.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mad Dog":33ocq354 said:
TBH I thought, except for one series, Bevell called a pretty sharp game. Drops and penalties were our undoing.
There was this one series:
First down: End run with Eddy Lacy for -1
Second down: Toss in the flat to DB with no blockers and two defenders for 2 yds
Third down: JPP gets an unblocked free run at RW leading to a hurried throwaway

That series was downright idiotic. Lacy can't make the corner even in his best days. You can't effectively run a bubble screen without the bubble and who forgets to block JPP?

Lol I remember seeing that series and thinking "that's brilliant playcalling. Just leave their best pass rusher with a free run at Wilson and expect something positive to happen".

To be fair, I honestly think that was a blown assignment and not scheme. Even Bevell can't be that dumb.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HansGruber":10nj3f2n said:
I've completely given up on it, and am trying to accept that I will be forced to watch Darrell Bevell destroy the career of Russell Wilson and transform him from once-in-a-generation talent to a "fairly decent" QB. I've given up on seeing our offense do anything in the first half - it's just a fact that we will not score in the first half, unless it's our defense. If you see us in the Red Zone in the first half, we will fail to score a TD and then our kicker will miss the FG from like 10 yards away.

Darrell Bevell is the worst OC in the NFL and I am just completely dumbfounded as to how he still has a job. But again, I've given up on it. I gave up my season tickets this year, have been selling them. Now I just record the games and pretty much skip through the first half. It's pointless and boring to watch.

We are the 92 Seahawks with a decent QB. That's it. I laugh at the idea of a Superbowl, that is just not happening as long as Bevell is here. And even if we somehow miraculously pull it off, like we did in 49, it will be the same story - some team completely blows it in the NFCCG after we do everything we can to lose (until the 4th quarter), then we go to the Superbowl and our incompetent offense blows chunks all day and we lose because of some stupid playcalls in the red zone. This is just how it is with Bevell. Depressing as hell.

I see you forgot to take your meds again Mr Gruber.

HansGruber

Reaction score
StoneCold":3qwt0jwr said:

I guess... I've just lost patience with the whole thing. Watching the Rams give us 5 turnovers, FIVE turnovers! And our offense could only score 3 points off of those. Then yesterday, the Giants give us like 12 different downs from the 1 yard line thanks to brainless penalties, and we still somehow manage to turn the ball over on downs... at like the 10 yard line. Ugh. It's just unwatchable. I find it hard to care anymore. Why should I invest emotionally in a team that isn't trying to win? It reminds me of the Mariners.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HansGruber":19y7vx0w said:
StoneCold":19y7vx0w said:

I guess... I've just lost patience with the whole thing. Watching the Rams give us 5 turnovers, FIVE turnovers! And our offense could only score 3 points off of those. Then yesterday, the Giants give us like 12 different downs from the 1 yard line thanks to brainless penalties, and we still somehow manage to turn the ball over on downs... at like the 10 yard line. Ugh. It's just unwatchable. I find it hard to care anymore. Why should I invest emotionally in a team that isn't trying to win? It reminds me of the Mariners.

I will agree it's frustrating, but remember we won both of those games. And I thoroughly disagree they are not trying to win. If they continue to get better, more consistent, this could be a great year.

iigakusei

Reaction score
It isn't all Bevell unfortunately. If only things were that easy.
On a positive note:
Seven NFL teams failed to score an offensive TD on Sunday, the most on a single day since Dec. 16, 2001.

mikeak

Reaction score
iigakusei":28sx1309 said:
It isn't all Bevell unfortunately. If only things were that easy.
On a positive note:
Seven NFL teams failed to score an offensive TD on Sunday, the most on a single day since Dec. 16, 2001.

Even better - Seattle wasn't one of those teams :)

mikeak

Reaction score
HansGruber":2n55ybmv said:
StoneCold":2n55ybmv said:

It is a funny thing this "how we see a game"

I am totally opposite of you. What I saw yesterday and in the first half of the Rams game was a Seahawks team that tried to play good offense.

I didn't see that team in the first three games. We were a couple of drops away from a high scoring game. They were just really significant drops. Yes 10 plays in the redzone on one possession should not be a drop away - I agree, but they tried to really punch it in. The first few games were just so horrible couldn't watch them.

These last two games - quite enjoyable

The issue in the Rams game was a "don't lose mentality" IMHO opinion. They stopped trying to score and wanted to slow down. I think we saw yesterday that they realized the error in playing like that. So instead we marched down the field and added 7......

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Honestly the only thing I'm seeing from Bevell that I'm disappointed in is that he still refuses to call bootlegs to get the pocket moving and get RW outside when we're in the red zone. Get Russ moving so he can see half of the field really well, let the players scramble/coverages break down and then take a shot, run it or throw it away. Seriously, it's maddening that we STILL don't do that in the red zone.

Russ is a good enough runner that he can protect himself or try to get yards. Beyond that, he's obviously an elite passer on the run who's risk-averse enough to not force balls into bad windows and turn the ball over.

HansGruber

Reaction score
StoneCold":qqx6vtmx said:
I will agree it's frustrating, but remember we won both of those games. And I thoroughly disagree they are not trying to win. If they continue to get better, more consistent, this could be a great year.

We won two games against bad teams. Barely. And only thanks to freakishly good play from our defense. If we had an average defense, we would be 0-6. That's the worst part of all. This defense is the best I've ever seen in the NFL, by a significant margin. Russell Wilson is truly a special player, one of those guys that only comes along once in a generation. I strongly believe that. And when Bevell gets the hell out of the way, they run hurry-up and Russ is calling the plays at the line, that offense becomes magical. Every single time they've done that, they score. And then the next week, after we all just witnessed what happens when you take the clipboard away from Bevell, they give it back to him and it's the same old thing again - incompetent and unimaginative play-calling, ZERO offensive production for the whole first half, little flashes of good play here and there in the third quarter, and then finally, Russ is given the chance to audible and play out of a hurry-up and we score the only offensive points of the game.

Seahawks football is basically - give the other team the ball and hope your defense makes a play. Our offense doesn't even exist. It's beyond awful. I actually dread when the offense trots out on the field because that's when the Seahawks falter and make mistakes, give the ball away, and just choke in the most boring fashion possible (at best). It's beyond garbage. It is ridiculous. Laughably ridiculous.

And it's been that way as long as Bevell has been here. Every big game we've played, I can think back and it's like, yep, we sucked ass the whole first half, put up 3-7 points in the third quarter, and then Russ was unchained and the offense finally came alive (or in those cases where we don't run the hurry-up and let Russ do his magic, we just lose in epic fashion).

We aren't trying to win for real. If we were, Bevell would have been gone years ago. You can't blame the offensive failures on the players when it has been literally the same exact type of failure, over and over and over, in every single game that Bevell is allowed to call plays. That is a system problem, not a player problem. So yeah, they're not really trying to win, or they would see how absolutely terrible that joke is and fire him and literally hire anyone else. Literally anyone else could do a better job because they might at least see what mistakes they're making and try to fix them. Bevell has not done that. He has blamed players, over and over, and then run out the same BS nonsense week after week after week. He's the worst OC in the NFL and I just can't stand watching it anymore, and watching the Seahawks destroy Russell Wilson's HOF career.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
mikeak":2otq74cn said:
Mad Dog":2otq74cn said:
TBH I thought, except for one series, Bevell called a pretty sharp game. Drops and penalties were our undoing.
There was this one series:
First down: End run with Eddy Lacy for -1
Second down: Toss in the flat to DB with no blockers and two defenders for 2 yds
Third down: JPP gets an unblocked free run at RW leading to a hurried throwaway

That series was downright idiotic. Lacy can't make the corner even in his best days. You can't effectively run a bubble screen without the bubble and who forgets to block JPP?

My personal favorite was run up the middle on 2nd and 24

Second time this year -- last time was 2nd down and 22

each time we got 2 yards............

Those plays completely baffle me. I mean, why run a play at all? It's not like that two yards does anything for the team. At least pass it and try to pick up a few more.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2s37eu4w said:
mikeak":2s37eu4w said:
My personal favorite was run up the middle on 2nd and 24

Second time this year -- last time was 2nd down and 22

each time we got 2 yards............

Those plays completely baffle me. I mean, why run a play at all? It's not like that two yards does anything for the team. At least pass it and try to pick up a few more.

Agreed. I don't understand the play calls there either. If you're going to run it, at least run a draw play so you can say you tried to trick the defense.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HansGruber":2epwsglt said:
StoneCold":2epwsglt said:

We won two games against bad teams. Barely. And only thanks to freakishly good play from our defense. If we had an average defense, we would be 0-6. That's the worst part of all. This defense is the best I've ever seen in the NFL, by a significant margin. Russell Wilson is truly a special player, one of those guys that only comes along once in a generation. I strongly believe that. And when Bevell gets the hell out of the way, they run hurry-up and Russ is calling the plays at the line, that offense becomes magical. Every single time they've done that, they score. And then the next week, after we all just witnessed what happens when you take the clipboard away from Bevell, they give it back to him and it's the same old thing again - incompetent and unimaginative play-calling, ZERO offensive production for the whole first half, little flashes of good play here and there in the third quarter, and then finally, Russ is given the chance to audible and play out of a hurry-up and we score the only offensive points of the game.

Seahawks football is basically - give the other team the ball and hope your defense makes a play. Our offense doesn't even exist. It's beyond awful. I actually dread when the offense trots out on the field because that's when the Seahawks falter and make mistakes, give the ball away, and just choke in the most boring fashion possible (at best). It's beyond garbage. It is ridiculous. Laughably ridiculous.

And it's been that way as long as Bevell has been here. Every big game we've played, I can think back and it's like, yep, we sucked ass the whole first half, put up 3-7 points in the third quarter, and then Russ was unchained and the offense finally came alive (or in those cases where we don't run the hurry-up and let Russ do his magic, we just lose in epic fashion).

We aren't trying to win for real. If we were, Bevell would have been gone years ago. You can't blame the offensive failures on the players when it has been literally the same exact type of failure, over and over and over, in every single game that Bevell is allowed to call plays. That is a system problem, not a player problem. So yeah, they're not really trying to win, or they would see how absolutely terrible that joke is and fire him and literally hire anyone else. Literally anyone else could do a better job because they might at least see what mistakes they're making and try to fix them. Bevell has not done that. He has blamed players, over and over, and then run out the same BS nonsense week after week after week. He's the worst OC in the NFL and I just can't stand watching it anymore, and watching the Seahawks destroy Russell Wilson's HOF career.

You definitely need a snickers. While we only score 3 in the first half we gained more yards, 222 in the first half than the second, can't remember the exact number but it was 200 and some change.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
mikeak":12nmbv15 said:
irfuben32":12nmbv15 said:
We ran 2 screen passes in the same game...

not sure what that says but I have been crying for them to mix in some screens

This doubled the season total for screens

Not kidding

I used to just love watching them just dump a screen to the beast for an easy 20.

chris98251

Reaction score
If Pete took over play calling I think it would be basically defacto Wilson calling the plays. Maybe it was Pete took play calling away from Bevell on offense if anything.

Wilson doesn't need the card in his hand by now.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1p736vjl said:
Honestly the only thing I'm seeing from Bevell that I'm disappointed in is that he still refuses to call bootlegs to get the pocket moving and get RW outside when we're in the red zone.
I'm on board with the concept but it does have a downside. Rolling out of the pocket declares the side of the field you are throwing towards which allows zone coverages to shift immediately and the LBs to cheat in man coverage. I could see it working nevertheless on plays targeting Jimmy because it could give him more room to the outside to work with and we can't seem to get consistent execution on the lob passes.

The dream scenario is that we fix our running game so that we can punch it in on the ground.

Chapow

Reaction score
HansGruber":2w8pvaxt said:
StoneCold":2w8pvaxt said:

Then don't. If you truly feel this way, why would you waste another minute of your life caring, investing, or watching? If this team really makes you so miserable, just find something else to do.

They just put up over 400 yards on a good defense, won by 3 scores, our D was lights out, and they did it on the east coast to extend our winning streak to 3 games and improve our record to 4-2. If you can't find a single thing that isn't super awful about this team right now, then you're right. You shouldn't care or emotionally invest or watch.

And just stop with the ridiculous "they aren't really trying to win" narrative. It's absurd and you know it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'd suggest the OP find another source. One that's reliable. False information just leads to a lack of credibility.

I thought Bevell called a fantastic game. Over 400 yards of total offense. Score would have been even more lopsided had catches been made and wide open receivers not been overthrown a couple of times.

And who do you think has been there with Russ every step of the way to help make him the superior talent he is today? That's right, Super Bowl winning coaches Darrell Bevell and Carl Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts