Rams Fan Here...I Come In Peace

ramBRO

Reaction score
Smoke 'em peace-pipe?

So, in addition to attending a couple of home games, my family and I have decided to use the Rams' road schedule to visit some cities we've never been to while taking in a game. This year, it will be Seattle for the Thursday night game on Oct. 7th. We've heard lots of great things about the city and can't wait to visit it and the home of the 12th Man.

Leading up to the visit, though, I had a couple of questions that I hope those of you actually living (or have lived) in the city can address:

1) I've been keeping an eye on the Covid protocols for Lumen Field and just noticed that, not only will they require proof of vaccination for entry, but there's a mask requirement as well. At the risk of starting a board fight here over vaccination and masking (Lord knows there's been enough of them on the Rams board I belong to), I just wanted to get an idea on if anyone thinks the mask requirement might be lifted by October? I ask because it appears as though King Co. residents have done a very good job as it relates to the vaccination of its residents (at least 78% fully-vaxxed right now?). This was one of the reasons why we chose to visit Seattle (as opposed to, say...Houston) - outdoor stadium; population that takes vaccination seriously; and, a suspicion that you might be proactive in terms of a vax requirement for entry. Was just hoping to be able to shed the mask with the reduce chance of getting infected (or infecting someone else).

2) What do you expect weather conditions to be like in early October? We know it's Seattle, but should we prepare for a downpour? Early season Seahawk games I've seen on TV suggests that it should be dry, no? And I don't fully trust the weather app on my phone.

3) Is there any type of food/drink (e.g. hot dog, nachos, etc.) sold at the stadium that we absolutely, positively have to try during our visit? Will be taking a hard pass on $10 16oz cups of brew no matter how good it tastes thank you very much.

4) Finally, we'll be in Seattle from Thursday morning through Sunday afternoon. We'll be staying downtown w/o a car. For a family who has never visited your city (and can't say for sure when we'll return), can you please name me your top-5 things to do or places to visit?

One football-related question: How is Dwayne Eskridge shaping up for you guys. There was speculation on our board that he might be the pick for the Rams, but you guys (selecting right before us) got him instead. We then drafted Tutu Atwell who, although very fast and appears to be able to actually catch the ball, is a midget (not even 160-lbs) who we actually fear for his safety on a professional football field.

Thank you for your responses. I can't wait to see how the season plays out. The NFC West is gonna be an absolute dogfight.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
To question 4, I strongly suggest that your family obtain the Seattle CityPass. This cuts the costs of attractions by more than half, and it lets you know where they are.

In one day, we were able to hit Space Needle, the Seattle Aquarium, the Argosy boat ride that shows you how Seattle looks from the water, the Rock and Roll Museum and the Glass Museum. The big ferris wheel next to the Aquarium is not on it, but it costs $20, plus they will make margaritas for the adults.

Anyways, Citypass cost less than $100/person and was in 2019. The route between attractions is totally walkable, or with kids it would just require a short trip or an Uber.

There is a zoo option on citypass and the zoo is further out, but you could do that too.

chris98251

Reaction score
ramBRO":niphi06d said:
Smoke 'em peace-pipe?

So, in addition to attending a couple of home games, my family and I have decided to use the Rams' road schedule to visit some cities we've never been to while taking in a game. This year, it will be Seattle for the Thursday night game on Oct. 7th. We've heard lots of great things about the city and can't wait to visit it and the home of the 12th Man.

Leading up to the visit, though, I had a couple of questions that I hope those of you actually living (or have lived) in the city can address:

1) I've been keeping an eye on the Covid protocols for Lumen Field and just noticed that, not only will they require proof of vaccination for entry, but there's a mask requirement as well. At the risk of starting a board fight here over vaccination and masking (Lord knows there's been enough of them on the Rams board I belong to), I just wanted to get an idea on if anyone thinks the mask requirement might be lifted by October? I ask because it appears as though King Co. residents have done a very good job as it relates to the vaccination of its residents (at least 78% fully-vaxxed right now?). This was one of the reasons why we chose to visit Seattle (as opposed to, say...Houston) - outdoor stadium; population that takes vaccination seriously; and, a suspicion that you might be proactive in terms of a vax requirement for entry. Was just hoping to be able to shed the mask with the reduce chance of getting infected (or infecting someone else).

2) What do you expect weather conditions to be like in early October? We know it's Seattle, but should we prepare for a downpour? Early season Seahawk games I've seen on TV suggests that it should be dry, no? And I don't fully trust the weather app on my phone.

3) Is there any type of food/drink (e.g. hot dog, nachos, etc.) sold at the stadium that we absolutely, positively have to try during our visit? Will be taking a hard pass on $10 16oz cups of brew no matter how good it tastes thank you very much.

4) Finally, we'll be in Seattle from Thursday morning through Sunday afternoon. We'll be staying downtown w/o a car. For a family who has never visited your city (and can't say for sure when we'll return), can you please name me your top-5 things to do or places to visit?

One football-related question: How is Dwayne Eskridge shaping up for you guys. There was speculation on our board that he might be the pick for the Rams, but you guys (selecting right before us) got him instead. We then drafted Tutu Atwell who, although very fast and appears to be able to actually catch the ball, is a midget (not even 160-lbs) who we actually fear for his safety on a professional football field.

Thank you for your responses. I can't wait to see how the season plays out. The NFC West is gonna be an absolute dogfight.

Weather should not be cold, but that time of year you can swing from 50's to 70's typically still, if you can call our weather typical recently. Rain what many call rain we call drizzle, light rains off and on, may have some of that. Down Pours, look at the weather reports if there is a big storm coming in that's when we can get them.

Follow SC's advise for a visitor, I live here so don't use the light rail, busses and touristy stuff to get around. As far as food the Stadium has many unique offerings that are favorites of the area.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I live in Alaska and went to 2 games in the Fall of 2019. It was a blast, the weather was great with a few showers. I had my Harley Davidson Raincoat which is light, easy to pack away, and fairly warm. During both games I put it on, and took it off a couple of times.

Downtown Seattle is really pretty IMHO, and I enjoyed walking all over with my daughter. The Pinball Museum is small, but a lot of fun, and has a bathroom.

I don't know if the Light Rail is an option, but I enjoyed riding back and forth on it. I was staying at a friends near the Airport and used it to get downtown when I didn't have her car. I liked the bus too, thought it was fairly comfortable.

I used the CityMapper app to check bus schedules. Works great and is very accurate.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I doubt they lift the mask requirements by then but nobody knows for sure.

The rainy/drizzle season here usually starts around the middle of October, but check the weather ahead of time just in case. If it does rain here it's usually just a drizzle and the locals will largely ignore it and go about their business. Actual storms where umbrellas or rain gear are required are less common.

The food is similar to every other NFL stadium with a couple of options that pretend to be gourmet but aren't anything special. If you're looking for foodie stuff there are lots of good restaurants in the area.

I'll second the light rail recommendation. It runs directly from the airport to the stadium to downtown and then up to the U district with lots of stops along the way. Also, if you have extra time most visitors like taking a round trip on the Seattle-Bainbridge ferry but you'll want to check if there are restrictions in place there as well as the top deck could be closed. Another less common but great place to visit is the Ballard Locks.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Obviously Pike Place Market is a must see(don't know how you'd social distance here though) and Chihuly's & the Museum of Pop Culture which are in the Space Needle area are both worth seeing. I predict your wife would love Chihuly's & your kids, if they're teenagers, will love the MoPC. It's also kinda cool to take the monorail to or from the Space Needle area to downtown at Westlake station on 5th Ave.

I also enjoyed the Argosy Harbour Cruise through the locks already mentioned but, again, not sure of their protocols to social distance if this is a concern for you. The best part of the cruise was we did it on an absolutely gorgeous day with a cloudless Mt. Rainier sitting majestically in the background over the city as the boat came into the harbour for the perfect photo-op. If you want to play it by ear you can also get this same photo-op by walking onto the ferry to Bainbridge Island & then back on short notice. They're big boats & even before covid social distancing was doable on this ferry & they only charge one way. There's also a cool little town where the ferry docks to explore on foot(lunch?) if you don't want to just come straight back.

If you have time, which I doubt you will because I spent a whole day here, the Museum of flight was worth going to & it looks like it's open. Very informative & should be able to social distance as it's a big place. The highlight was being able to get close & personal with the various planes across from the museum in the hangar.
https://www.museumofflight.org/
Easy bus ride too if they're running. Just jump on the 124 bus southbound anywhere along 3rd ave & it drops you off right outside their door & then return to downtown on the northbound 124.

Hope this was helpful & you enjoy your time in Seattle.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
Early October is a crapshoot. Once the rain starts, it turns quickly. But if you are lucky enough to get a clear day, sunsets from the Space Needle are breathtaking.

Pike Place Market is a must. The secret there is to get there @ 9am and beat the huge crowds.

And unless you want to stick out as a tourist, DO NOT bring an umbrella.

Argosy tours are ok, but if the Bainbridge Island Ferry is allowing passengers up top, a ferry ride is an awesome way to see the city from the water and it is much cheaper.

If you are coming from LA, try to sit on the RH side of the plane. The view of the mountains on the way up in OR & WA are spectacular. Especially Rainier because you will be at a lower altitude.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When you go to the Pike Place Market, stop at the Crumpet Shop. My wife stills talks about the crumpets.

Chawker

Reaction score
You'll have to stop at Bleecher cheese for the best mac and cheese this planet has to offer. Their flagship cheese is the best.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Get vaxxed, have the card with you and bring masks.
I don’t think anything will get lifted by October.

Places of interest Museum of flight, and the mopop museum.
The Mopop is at the base of the space needle so you can kill two birds with one stone there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Chawker":e5wl6gxi said:
You'll have to stop at Bleecher cheese for the best mac and cheese this planet has to offer. Their flagship cheese is the best.
Solid recommendation there. :2thumbs:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I hope you enjoy your visit.
I live 300 miles east of Seattle in a city that tries hard to be like Seattle called Spokane, home of the Zags.
I love visiting Seattle, so here's my answers:

1. No, the mask mandate will not be lifted. You'll also need proof of vaccination or a negative covid test to enter the stadium.

2. Tough to say, but on average you should expect mid 50s to low 70s. If it rains, it's more of a mist. Dress in layers and wear a hoody or windbreaker.

3. Everything at that stadium is overpriced. The garlic fries are ok, but aren't as good as the Mariners. I suggest eating before the game somewhere else. Just my opinion. I usually eat at Ivars at the waterfront, then walk or catch a cab up to the stadium.

4. As mentioned before, get the city pass. Without a car, expect to do a lot of walking. I had a heck of a time trying to catch a cab. Utilize the light rail if possible, and take the Monorail when going to the Space Needle. $6 per ticket round trip.
Top 5 things are: Space Needle, Chihuley glass museum, Mopop, Aquarium, Argosy boat tour, ferry ride to Bainbridge Island.
The first three are all on the city pass and all in the same location under the Space Needle at Seattle city center. I personally think the Mopop is boring but it's on the pass so it's worth checking out.
I listed 6 things, but the Ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is fun if the weather is good.
Another option is going up the Columbia Tower observation deck. This is the tallest building. It's $25 per person but not on the city pass.

Another suggestion from experience. If you're planning on walking around the city, like I said dress in layers and have good walking shoes. I suggest after you're done at the Space Needle area to grab some food at Zekes Pizza, it's just a block east. My favorite pizza ever.
Then you can catch a cab, if you can find one, down to the waterfront and go to the aquarium, walk the waterfront and explore the shops.

Then on another day, I would catch the lightrail to 6th and Pike, and take Pike down to Pikes Place market. There's lots of neat shops to get lost at in there. The first Starbucks is across the brick road from the main market area, and there's a really good smoked salmon/salmon jerky place right by that Starbucks called Totem Smokehouse. Free samples!

Last thing, I would avoid walking around Pioneer Square. Which is unfortunate because it used to be a beautiful area. When I was last there mid July, there were over 100 homeless people with dozens of tents. A few of them approached me, because I was by myself like a doofus, and started harassing me. One of them dropped anchor and deffecated right in front of me. So if you're with your family, or even by yourself, avoid Pioneer Square. Try to avoid walking around downtown after dark. I'm 6'1 300 lbs and had another incident walking around after dark downtown.
I suggest after the game, catch a cab back to your room if you can find one. Or, take the lightrail at the China town or Stadium station back to the closest stop where you're staying.

In regards to Eskridge, the jury is still out. Fingers crossed he stays healthy and contributes

Enjoy the game!

sutz

Reaction score
The seats in the stadium are about 60% covered, so depending on your seat selection rain may not be a concern during the game. I used to have season tix about 20 rows up on the 300 level and the rain never bothered me during the game. Obviously, going to and from the stadium could require rain gear. Early Oct and a night game, plan on possible 40's by the time you leave. Unlikely to freeze or snow (though possible ;)), but expect chilly and likely wet.

Not sure about the mask requirement, but as was said above, I doubt it would be lifted by then. The state is over 50% vaxxed, and King Co/Seattle are a bit higher, but we have our holdouts, too.

Hope you enjoy your trip, but not the game. :twisted: (J/K)

OP
OP
R

ramBRO

Reaction score
Especially those coming from Jerhawk (very detailed).

We'll be following the recommendations to get the CityPass. It looks like we can do quite a few things on it (i.e. Space Needle, MoPop, and Argosy) in addition to Pike's on Friday.

The Ferry ride to Bainbridge sounds very interesting too. Is that considered a day trip? Thinking that might be good for Saturday.

Lots of favorable comments about your light rail system. Was trying to figure out if we should take it or Uber from SeaTac to downtown. Would we expect to see "more" of the city taking it (light rail)?

I appreciate the suggestion on how to navigate getting back to our hotel after a night game. We're traveling from LA and know all about what the homeless situation can be like in various big cities.

One last question: Is UW anywhere near downtown? My 18 y.o. daughter will be traveling with us. She's attending a junior college right now with plans on transferring to a UC school for her junior year. But I've encouraged her to consider out of state schools (in terms of transfer) as well. And since we'll be traveling to Washington...

Thanks again folks!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ramBRO":g666p5kf said:
Especially those coming from Jerhawk (very detailed).

We'll be following the recommendations to get the CityPass. It looks like we can do quite a few things on it (i.e. Space Needle, MoPop, and Argosy) in addition to Pike's on Friday.

The Ferry ride to Bainbridge sounds very interesting too. Is that considered a day trip? Thinking that might be good for Saturday.

Lots of favorable comments about your light rail system. Was trying to figure out if we should take it or Uber from SeaTac to downtown. Would we expect to see "more" of the city taking it (light rail)?

I appreciate the suggestion on how to navigate getting back to our hotel after a night game. We're traveling from LA and know all about what the homeless situation can be like in various big cities.

One last question: Is UW anywhere near downtown? My 18 y.o. daughter will be traveling with us. She's attending a junior college right now with plans on transferring to a UC school for her junior year. But I've encouraged her to consider out of state schools (in terms of transfer) as well. And since we'll be traveling to Washington...

Thanks again folks!

Yes, I would suggest taking the light rail from SeaTac to your destination downtown. The most popular downtown stop is Westlake Center. It's a 40 minute ride from SeaTac to downtown. It's a really neat lightrail system. You buy your tickets, $6 per person. You take your luggage onto the lightrail and everything. Very convenient.

The Ferry ride to Bainbridge is on the waterfront to the left of Ivars restaurant. It's $10 or so per person and when you get to Bainbridge Island, you don't need a ticket back. Its very easy to walk around the Island. I suggest just walking down main Street. Lots of little shops and a great seafood restaurant called Docs Marina Grill.

The Ferry comes once every 50 minutes or so.

The light rail ends at University of Washington, final stop. It's really easy to get off, theres a neat escalator ride up to street level, because the lightrail goes underground. The first thing you'll see is Husky Stadium, then there's a big walking bridge opposite end of Lake Washington to walk around the campus. On a nice day, you get a great view of Mt Rainier when you stand by the big water fountain.

Also, I should add that the Monorail platform at Westlake center, where you get on to go to the Space Needle, is under construction. The Monorail is much older and there are no stops, it just goes back and forth between the Space Needle and Westlake Center. To get on the Monorail platform, you'll need to take an escalator outside the building. I can't remember which side it's on, but there are some poorly marked arrows to get you there. It's confusing.

The WA state ferry terminal is also under construction. It looks bad but it's still functional.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
For the love of God, it is not Pike's Place or Pikes Place. It is the PIKE PLACE MARKET. Any self respecting Seattle native or import should know that.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
ramBRO":1iwfz2ru said:
Smoke 'em peace-pipe?

I'm a Los Angeles based Hawks fan (born in WA and stayed fans when we moved south) and try to go up every year for a game. Last one I went to was the Thursday Rams game in the kermit jerseys with Legatron doinking the would-be game winner. Still undecided about going up this year for this same game.

It's a little chillier than we are used to in LA but it's mostly still in flannel weather category, I've found. I'm pretty wussy about the cold but haven't had any issues in October as long as I have good socks. It always seems that on my trips in rains only once out of 3 days but that's hardly a reliable prediction.

I like to wander/bike around downtown a lot but I always hit Biscuit Bitch every morning when they open and a few Piroshki Piroshkis from the market for dessert. Serious Pie is also a must for me but I am not sure if they survived the shut down.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you are from Los Angeles and are familiar with Skid Row, Seattle has a lot of homeless here living in tents but they are scattered around the city.

You’ll probably see them around. Not great for tourists venturing in and around downtown Seattle at various locations.

If you stick to the common tourists spots you shouldn’t run into too many of the homeless.

The weather in the fall is 60-70 percent rain and 80 percent overcast skies, so a good rain jacket with a hood will be quite useful.

Seattle is known for their hot dog stands around the downtown/pioneer square area. Loaded with grilled onions, mustard ketchup jalapeños and cream cheese, for around 7 bucks for so, they are a local favorite during the nighttime bar hours. Maybe try it out as they are grilled in front of you.

Walk around Pike Place Market and grab some sushi, chowder, pastries and check out the first ever Starbucks right across from Pike Place Market, lines are long but it’s a good place to see.

Temperature in the fall varies, but I think average is about 50s, light rain to consistent rain. Occasional downpours but mainly rain that isn’t heavy rain, if that makes any sense.

The best time to visit just as an FYI is July/August for future references…

Enjoy your time!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
:yawn:
harryjohnson":xeieunvj said:
For the love of God, it is not Pike's Place or Pikes Place. It is the PIKE PLACE MARKET. Any self respecting Seattle native or import should know that.

You're right. My mistake.
Sorry everyone