Rams sign OBJ for 1.25 million dollars, we had 10 mil more..

Tokadub

Reaction score
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/11/rams-odell-beckham-contract-details-breakdown/

Yeah so they are only paying him 1.25 million.

He has 3 million more in his contract if he meets every incentive requirement.

The rams only had 3.1 million at the time they signed him to this deal. They can't even currently afford to pay this deal if he meets all of the incentives... they would have to do some moves to make space...

So we just lost out on a desperate need for our team (to have a legit 3rd receiver) to a team with over 10 million dollars below us in cap space?

WTF?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
No one cares...

Except you. We didnt need him...wont need him and at the end of the season you will see this was a dumb post. Per usual for you.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2uerry7c said:
No one cares...

Except you. We didnt need him...wont need him and at the end of the season you will see this was a dumb post. Per usual for you.

So you think we make the playoffs this season? If we do I'll eat crow... just want to be clear on your claim here...

I'd also like you to give more than 1-2 examples of me having a "dumb post". I'm usually pretty accurate which is strange because I don't "follow the leader" in terms of my ideas.

I'd argue most of my 800+ posts were accurate and thoughtful but I appreciate your honesty at least. I don't agree with a lot of post here and I don't remember any of yours off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Well I'm looking through some of your post history to see where you are coming from:

https://seahawks.net/search.php?key...posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You said about Jamal Adams:

"Omg. So much of this is not true or fact based. Poor in coverage how?"

If you don't see how Jamal has been complete garbage tier in coverage I can no longer take anything you ever say seriously. At least I did my homework on your posts...

keasley45

Reaction score
Tokadub":pu0cbzoh said:
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/11/rams-odell-beckham-contract-details-breakdown/

The rams only had 3.1 million at the time they signed him to this deal. They can't even currently afford to pay this deal if he meets all of the incentives... they would have to do some moves to make space...

So we just lost out on a desperate need for our team (to have a legit 3rd receiver) to a team with over 10 million dollars below us in cap space?

WTF?

He chose the Rams. Can't force the dude to play here.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
keasley45":10egnb6d said:

Yeah, but initial reports were that we were his #1 destination choice. Maybe that report wasn't accurate, maybe he never said that...

But it seems equally as likely we just weren't willing to match the Rams offer with those incentives. We may never know.

One thing seems clear, the Seahawks want to save that $13,000,000 for next season. The most obvious reason they would do that in terms of losing a player and absorbing dead money is Russell Wilson (95% chance) or Jamal Adams (5% chance). Tyler Lockett also has a ton of dead money but we'd be crazy to trade him.

The scenario that we are saving $13,000,000 to build with Wilson next year doesn't make much sense with our aging roster and horrific borderline nightmare status in the 2022 draft.

Maybe I'm being a little dramatic but losing 2 1st round picks + a 3rd round pick + Bradley Mcdougald (who was decent from what I remember) for a bad player and insane amounts of dead money tied to the bad player (Jamal Adams) seems horrific to me.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-draft-picks-by-team/

"Seattle Seahawks 2022 NFL Draft Picks

The Seattle Seahawks traded their first-round selection in the 2022 NFL Draft, alongside 2021 first and third-round selections and S Bradley McDougald, to the New York Jets. In exchange, they received Jamal Adams and a fourth-round selection in 2022.

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 4 (from Jets): The Seahawks received the Jets’ fourth-round pick as part of the Adams trade.

Round 5

The Seahawks sent their sixth-round pick to the Jaguars in the CB Sidney Jones trade.

Round 7"

SeaChase

Reaction score
Rams actually want to win and make great moves. I wish the Seahawks felt the same.

xray

Reaction score
Players like him want to go where there is a decent chance for a championship . Seattle is not on that short list of teams that high profile players want to sign with anymore .

nwHawk

Reaction score
Saying the Seahawks were his #1 choice before the waiver deadline was an excellent way to get the Seahawks to back off. They probably thought they were in a good position to grab him on the cheap. At this point in the season, OBJ signed with a team that is a virtual lock to make the playoffs- which what he wants. Also, McVay will get him open in space, which he needs. And they have a veteran QB that’s not afraid to throw the ball into tight windows. Adding Von Miller and OBJ in the same week, sheesh!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SeaChase":1p26je3j said:
Rams actually want to win and make great moves. I wish the Seahawks felt the same.

This isn't Madden where you select the player, offer big contract, and he immediately signs. Clearly, the decision was left to Seattle. It was his.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People seem to think money was the concern here, regarding a player who has shown little to no consideration to money in his decision. I don't get it.

They offered him a contract, reportedly a very solid one, and their star quarterback specifically tried to pitch him. He went to the Rams, where everyone is going. It happens.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Apparently the Seahawks did put effort into aquiring OBJ. I don't blame them for not putting a waiver claim on him. They would have had to shell out $7.25M for someone who settled for much less. If he wanted to be a Seahawk, he would have -

"Furthermore, Seattle's failure to sign Beckham doesn't appear to be for a lack of trying. In an appearance on 950 KJR Thursday morning, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo indicated the Seahawks had offered a contract to the star receiver with the "most concrete contract details." But in the end, according to NFL Network insiders Ian Rapoport and Kim Jones, Beckham's decision came down to the Packers and Rams—two teams vying for the NFC's top seed."

Link to the full article - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...l-beckham-jr-who-opts-for-division-rival-rams

Rat

Reaction score
keasley45":whsoz5rh said:
Tokadub":whsoz5rh said:

WTF?

We could have claimed him off waivers.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":25u47oss said:
keasley45":25u47oss said:
Tokadub":25u47oss said:

WTF?

Pay 3 million more than the Rams paid him just to piss the guy off by doing something he requested teams not do, possibly pissing his agent off in the process and other agents this agent works with?

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":p8uudrhr said:
keasley45":p8uudrhr said:
Tokadub":p8uudrhr said:

WTF?

Yea, take away his freedom of choice. Imprison him in Seattle. That would have really triggered some fireworks in a free spirit like Odell Beckham Jr. :roll:

Rat

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":24geuez1 said:
Rat":24geuez1 said:
keasley45":24geuez1 said:
Tokadub":24geuez1 said:

WTF?

Pay 3 million more than the Rams paid him just to piss the guy off by doing something he requested teams not do, possibly pissing his agent off in the process and other agents this agent works with?

Did he request that nobody claim him? I thought he just didn't want to be claimed by a bad team.

I might have done it. Not sure what better use of that money.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":3isu73z5 said:
Maelstrom787":3isu73z5 said:
Rat":3isu73z5 said:
keasley45":3isu73z5 said:

Did he request that nobody claim him? I thought he just didn't want to be claimed by a bad team.

I might have done it. Not sure what better use of that money.

Fair enough. It would have been quite the gamble, but the cap space probably won't be utilized to maximum efficiency anyway. I'd just worry about the ripple effect. Winning fixes everything regardless, I suppose.

White Devil

Reaction score
OBJ chose the Rams

The Seahawks claiming him would have gone against his wishes.

Rolling $10 million of cap space into next season to cover voidable years, is better for the franchise than overpaying for a 3rd WR that didn't really want to come here.

Not gonna lie and say I wasn't intrigued by the possible signing, but Eskeridge coming back is hopefully just as exciting.

We're on to the Packers.