Rams sign OBJ for 1.25 million dollars, we had 10 mil more..

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
It's not at all surprising that the "everything fine" crowd is quick to either say "this is fine" or "this doesn't matter".
Do I think OBJ would turn around the Seahawks' season? I doubt it, but he could have made a difference. Wilson certainly wanted him and that's important.

As for the wider fallout from this saga, I see several...

1. Bigger free agents do not want to come to Seattle. Most of our recent big names have been via trade. That's become a feature, not a bug. OBJ is just the latest.

2. Our coaching and performance is seen as suspect. This isn't just OBJ. We put together some solid details in our pitch for him. But the impression is that you don't "win" in Seattle, you do what we have been doing for the past 6 years which on the good side is having a floor that is "decent", but on the bad side is a hard ceiling of not advancing far in the playoffs. That may be fine for some fans, but it's not attractive to players, especially those that want to win. That brings us to...

3. Russell Wilson grows more concerned. Seattle can't get it done. Can't get those key players he wants. Can't go deep in the playoffs. Can't draft well. Can't get to another Super Bowl, let alone win one or build legacy. At least, this is more reason for him to believe that, which makes for an unhappy franchise QB. And that's a problem.

I really hope that OBJ has little to no impact for the Rams. If come the playoffs he comes up big for LA that will only be salt in Wilson's wounds as he sits out another playoffs.

If the seasons ends as I suspect (around even on wins and losses, which would be an improvement over where we are currently) the Seahawks ownership may be facing some interesting decisions between a past date coach vs. a future Hall of Fame QB.

rcaido

Reaction score
Would have been a good insurance in case of injury. Plus you get a free comp pick...

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":3t506w8k said:
It's not at all surprising that the "everything fine" crowd is quick to either say "this is fine" or "this doesn't matter".
Do I think OBJ would turn around the Seahawks' season? I doubt it, but he could have made a difference. Wilson certainly wanted him and that's important.

1. Bigger free agents do not want to come to Seattle. Most of our recent big names have been via trade. That's become a feature, not a bug. OBJ is just the latest.

2. Our coaching and performance is seen as suspect. This isn't just OBJ. We put together some solid details in our pitch for him. But the impression is that you don't "win" in Seattle, you do what we have been doing for the past 6 years which on the good side is having a floor that is "decent", but on the bad side is a hard ceiling of not advancing far in the playoffs. That may be fine for some fans, but it's not attractive to players, especially those that want to win. That brings us to...

3. Russell Wilson grows more concerned. Seattle can't get it done. Can't get those key players he wants. Can't go deep in the playoffs. Can't draft well. Can't get to another Super Bowl, let alone win one or build legacy. At least, this is more reason for him to believe that, which makes for an unhappy franchise QB. And that's a problem.

I really hope that OBJ has little to no impact for the Rams. If come the playoffs he comes up big for LA that will only be salt in Wilson's wounds as he sits out another playoffs.

If the seasons ends as I suspect (around even on wins and losses, which would be an improvement over where we are currently) the Seahawks ownership may be facing some interesting decisions between a past date coach vs. a future Hall of Fame QB.

strohmin

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is incapable of utilizing talent we trade for or sign from other teams. Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Jadaveon Clowney, Sheldon Richardson, Jamal Adams. Talent comes to die under Pete so even if we got OBJ, he would probably end up useless.

chris98251

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":2oejay8h said:

We have a habit of low balling Free Agents on Prove it deals, we have done it time after time, then resign them for a hefty rate. The enticement was we were true contenders for a Trophy, Avril, Bennett, and others came here for that and then signed nice contracts.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
strohmin":3bxepjh5 said:
Pete Carroll is incapable of utilizing talent we trade for or sign from other teams. Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Jadaveon Clowney, Sheldon Richardson, Jamal Adams. Talent comes to die under Pete so even if we got OBJ, he would probably end up useless.

Fair, but let's all consider the various steals that have been made over the years as well. Quandre Diggs, Cliff Avril, Justin Coleman, Chris Clemons, DJ Reed...

Tons of troubling acquisitions, but they tend to do pretty excellently on the value grabs. Just wish they'd connect on the big swings once in a while.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
strohmin":106quaa8 said:

Your examples are garbage. Clowney played every game when he was not injured. Got dbl teamed alot. Didnt produce enough. Otherwise he would registered 10 plus sacks. Invalid example. Sheldon played every game. He just isnt as good. Jamal Adam's lead the league in db sacks a year ago. Has played mainly back in coverage this year. Hardly a bust. Just doing what was expected of him. Jimmy...I'll give you. Percy produced as he should have. Never was a number one or even 2. We had doug, kearse and Tate when he came here. All better recievers than Harvin. Harvin should have been exclusively a returner and sweep guy. Out of the guys you listed....one is partially valid....cuz still produced in a super limited role compared to his time with saints. Dont forget when he was a superstar with saints they didnt win a bowl so that makes it invalid.

getnasty

Reaction score
toffee":2qk31pyq said:
OBJ turned down opportunities to play with three future HOF QBs, of the three, two were league MVPs. Just so he could play with Matt Stafford at discounted price , that after those three HOF called him personally.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

The city of LA was probably the biggest factor in him landing there. Supposedly he owes a house in LA too.

I personally think the Hawks played this one right. OBJ is a talent but hasn't done anything to warrant the waiver claim.

Elemas

Reaction score
We tried. I’m sure it was an honest attempt. But, the reality of him signing elsewhere does seem to indicate that this team has lost its “allure” in attracting players. I know, there were 30 other teams that didn’t sign him but to be mentioned early on…guess I was hopeful.

If I’m a WR and you say “Waldron or PC?”, it’s a no-brainer.

As mentioned, geography definitely played a role. That’s the primary reason I think GB never had a chance.

LA, LeBron, team that’s going to the playoffs….I now doubt we were his early first choice. If we were, that was 100% RW in his ear.

Could be wrong ofc..

It’s a good thing we are one of the best teams in the league at drafting or…wait…nm. At least we’re adept in free agency. Guys like Olsen and…ahh fk it. I give up.

Let’s BEAT GB!!

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":25immc5s said:
They offered him a contract, reportedly a very solid one,

I haven't heard that we offered him a "solid" contract. If you have any source about this I'd love to see it. I haven't checked the news today, maybe I missed something.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3n8eqp8s said:
Apparently the Seahawks did put effort into aquiring OBJ. I don't blame them for not putting a waiver claim on him. They would have had to shell out $7.25M for someone who settled for much less. If he wanted to be a Seahawk, he would have -

"Furthermore, Seattle's failure to sign Beckham doesn't appear to be for a lack of trying. In an appearance on 950 KJR Thursday morning, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo indicated the Seahawks had offered a contract to the star receiver with the "most concrete contract details." But in the end, according to NFL Network insiders Ian Rapoport and Kim Jones, Beckham's decision came down to the Packers and Rams—two teams vying for the NFC's top seed."

Link to the full article - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...l-beckham-jr-who-opts-for-division-rival-rams

What we can see here is that quote, "most concrete contract details".

This implies that we may have given him more than 1.25 million dollars guaranteed. I'm guessing we did 2 million. But he had a chance to make 4.25 million with the Rams and our 2 million offer was a joke at this point when the rams are going to make the playoffs for sure.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
White Devil":4ebsd7o4 said:
OBJ chose the Rams

The Seahawks claiming him would have gone against his wishes.

Rolling $10 million of cap space into next season to cover voidable years, is better for the franchise than overpaying for a 3rd WR that didn't really want to come here.

Not gonna lie and say I wasn't intrigued by the possible signing, but Eskeridge coming back is hopefully just as exciting.

We're on to the Packers.

https://wmubroncos.com/news/2020/10/23/football-new-number-new-d-wayne-eskridge.aspx

"I've had seven since my freshman year and it was back-to-back injuries every single year. So I thought, 2020, new D'Wayne Eskridge, New Number," said Eskridge. "I felt it was the right move to do and now I just have to put my best foot forward to live up to the No.1 jersey."

Eskridge LITERALLY changed his number over superstitions of how he has had "back-to back injuries EVERY SINGLE YEAR"...

I'm sorry but I can't feel excited about this guy, he lost vision and missed multiple weeks the first time he ever too an NFL hit...

He also seems to be super injury prone which begs the question why did we draft him so early when he's already undersized and injury prone???

Someone seems to be on drugs with our draft choices tbh.

nutluck

Reaction score
Tokadub":2kcbafd6 said:
hawkfan68":2kcbafd6 said:
Apparently the Seahawks did put effort into aquiring OBJ. I don't blame them for not putting a waiver claim on him. They would have had to shell out $7.25M for someone who settled for much less. If he wanted to be a Seahawk, he would have -

"Furthermore, Seattle's failure to sign Beckham doesn't appear to be for a lack of trying. In an appearance on 950 KJR Thursday morning, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo indicated the Seahawks had offered a contract to the star receiver with the "most concrete contract details." But in the end, according to NFL Network insiders Ian Rapoport and Kim Jones, Beckham's decision came down to the Packers and Rams—two teams vying for the NFC's top seed."

Link to the full article - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...l-beckham-jr-who-opts-for-division-rival-rams

What we can see here is that quote, "most concrete contract details".

This implies that we may have given him more than 1.25 million dollars guaranteed. I'm guessing we did 2 million. But he had a chance to make 4.25 million with the Rams and our 2 million offer was a joke at this point when the rams are going to make the playoffs for sure.

I havn't see the details but it seems all the bonus money the Rams offered him are team based on how deep into the playoffs they go. Which to me suggest it wasn't really about the money to OBJ, as his personal performance isn't going to impact how much he makes.