Ram's trade 3rd and 5th for Fowler

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qvjvipi said:
SkyHawks16":1qvjvipi said:
it is not set in stone the Rams are going to be good the next 2-3 years, or win the superbowl.

Nothing's set in stone, this is pro sports........and I like what Pete's doing, but you're acting like what the Rams are doing won't work, and it is working, and will work for 2-3 more years.

I don't fault the Rams for going for it, not sure why you do. You're acting like there's only one way to do it right.
We don't know that Largent, do you look at that defense team and say they are the best defense team in the league?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":3ph7ey83 said:
No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us...The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that.

Uh dude, for ALL those big names the Rams have given up less in draft capital than the Seahawks gave up for just Percy Harvin. :lol:

And that's without even factoring in that they're getting two comp picks in the third round coming back to them next year because they traded instead of signing FAs.

And it's also not factoring in the other draft capital the Hawks gave up over the last few years for guys like Graham, Richardson, Brown (those three guys are a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd).

You're both wildly overstating what the Rams have given up, and just simply misrepresenting what the Seahawks have and haven't done.

And the Rams are the only unbeaten team in the NFL so far this year, and doing what every smart team died when they have a window with their QB on his rookie deal.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawks85":3nwervtr said:
SkyHawks16":3nwervtr said:
Sgt. Largent":3nwervtr said:
SkyHawks16":3nwervtr said:
No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us, we didn't waste picks to get big names on FA, how we won the superbowl happened organically. The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that. Their defense isn't really anything special despite all the big names they got.

Not really giving the Rams credit, most of their core players they also drafted.

Did we draft Lynch? Bennett? Clemons? Avril? Giacomini? Harvin? McDonald? Miller? McQuistan? Browner? Rice?

All I'm saying is I get what the Rams are doing. I don't like it, but I get it. Once they have to pay Goff, they lose 5-6 impact players instantly.
Lynch was traded 3 years before our SB win, Avril and Bennett were cheap FAs that didn't cost us a thing in picks, Giacomini was from the Packers practice squad, Mcdonald was traded for Jennings and was basically a backup, Rice was a FA when we signed him in 2011, Miller was a FA that signed for us in 2011, same for Browner signed in 2011 as a FA, McQuistan was another no name FA, Clemmons was traded in 2010. The only one I will give you Harvin, but the rest of the team took years to come together and build to be championships. You can't compare us to what the Rams are doing, Pete build that team since he got here in 2010, making moves here and there for years. The Rams are buying the hot guys and trading for them in trades while losing their future picks. That is not us, Pete build that team, he didnt just buy big names and turn them to champions.
I agree skyhawks. The freaking rams I'm telling you. If they don't win it all this year then they wasted the future away. Their head coach will learn the hard way when they don't win it all this year. Their defense isn't impressive with all those high profile names. Now could they be dangerous yes but to many personalities on that defense.

As much as I hate sticking up for the Rams...what are they supposed to be doing with the room that they have and the opportunity right in front of them? Just slowly pace themselves ahead of the Seahawks and hope the division stays a two horse race for the next 2-3 years? If the Rams do win a SB this year or next year are we really going to concern troll for the future of the Rams like we Hawks fans really have their best interests near and dear? Cmon.

This is their shot to maximize their opportunity - yes it could prove to be a disaster in the long term but you are in the running, and clearly they are by virtue of their last season and the current one, this seems like as good a shot as any for a team in their position to try and get over the hump through every possible means.

"Let's build this team for 5-6 years of 80th percentile football instead of going for the SB guys..."

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Popeyejones":21iykihj said:
SkyHawks16":21iykihj said:
No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us...The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that.

Uh dude, for ALL those big names the Rams have given up less in draft capital than the Seahawks gave up for just Percy Harvin. :lol:

And that's without even factoring in that they're getting two comp picks in the third round coming back to them next year because they traded instead of signing FAs.

And it's also not factoring in the other draft capital the Hawks gave up over the last few years for guys like Graham, Richardson, Brown (those three guys are a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd).

You're both wildly overstating what the Rams have given up, and just simply misrepresenting what the Seahawks have and haven't done.

And the Rams are the only unbeaten team in the NFL so far this year, and doing what every smart team died when they have a window with their QB on his rookie deal.
We are talking about 2010-2013 years, the road to our superbowl win. When the Seahawks started trading picks, that is when we lost our way. And the comp picks are not certain, the Rams could sign FAs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah, Reality is the the Rams are easily the best team in the division right now and have a shot at a ring. Sure, alot of the guys they have right now won't be on the roster in a few years, but who cares. Their time is NOW. You deal with later LATER.

And as for the "we didn't do that"....really? The Seahawks gave up 1st rounder and a pro bowl center for Graham and a one, a six, and a three the next year for Harvin.

Come on dude. More than one way to skin a cat. The moves the Rams made are working, so why hate on them?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":13szdma1 said:
Popeyejones":13szdma1 said:
SkyHawks16":13szdma1 said:

We are talking about 2010-2013 years, the road to our superbowl win. When the Seahawks started trading picks, that is when we lost our way. And the comp picks are not certain, the Rams could sign FAs.

ok...BUT THEY ARE WINNING. They are the leagues only undefeated team.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Marvin49":2d4867nz said:
Yeah, Reality is the the Rams are easily the best team in the division right now and have a shot at a ring. Sure, alot of the guys they have right now won't be on the roster in a few years, but who cares. Their time is NOW. You deal with later LATER.

And as for the "we didn't do that"....really? The Seahawks gave up 1st rounder and a pro bowl center for Graham and a one, a six, and a three the next year for Harvin.

Come on dude. More than one way to skin a cat. The moves the Rams made are working, so why hate on them?
Again....can people go back and read the conversation. Imagine comparing the Seahawks 2010-2013 team to what the Rams are doing. :lol:

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Marvin49":2llomvsv said:
SkyHawks16":2llomvsv said:
Popeyejones":2llomvsv said:
SkyHawks16":2llomvsv said:

That it folks, it is over, no need to play rest of the games, the Rams are the 2019 Superbowl winners, all because they are undefeated in week 9 :roll: .

mrt144

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":2jjee65c said:
Marvin49":2jjee65c said:
SkyHawks16":2jjee65c said:
Popeyejones":2jjee65c said:

That it folks, it is over, no need to play rest of the games, the Rams are the 2019 Superbowl winners, all because they are undefeated in week 9 :roll: .

They don't even need to win a SB for these moves to be a rational risk/reward push towards winning the SB. Are you just categorically against a team sacrificing long term stability for short term reward because you think that's 'the wrong way' to do things?

Marvin49

Reaction score
mrt144":30t6kok8 said:
SkyHawks16":30t6kok8 said:
Marvin49":30t6kok8 said:
SkyHawks16":30t6kok8 said:

They don't even need to win a SB for these moves to be a rational risk/reward push towards winning the SB. Are you just categorically against a team sacrificing long term stability for short term reward because you think that's 'the wrong way' to do things?

This.

For example, it makes no sense for the 49ers to sign a bunch of guys right now because they are nowhere near their window.

If you are IN the window as the Rams clearly are, i got no prob with taking some chances. If they traded a one, then I'd have an issue.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
mrt144":2cmm8fac said:
SkyHawks16":2cmm8fac said:
Marvin49":2cmm8fac said:
SkyHawks16":2cmm8fac said:

Problem is, if they don't win now, they are screwed long term.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":prr3x3db said:
Popeyejones":prr3x3db said:
SkyHawks16":prr3x3db said:

But i'm saying the Rams have given up less draft capital than the Hawks did just for Percy Harvin, and that was in 2013 before the Hawks had won squat.

My point is this idea you're pushing that the Rams have given up gobs of draft capital and their future is just untrue.

And as for draft capital, those comp picks are certain. They're awarded for FAs gained and lost due last offseason. Because they traded for talent on their rookie deals instead of signing FAs they not only get those players cost controlled on cheap contacts, but also got to add a ton of talent while STILL getting two third round comp picks back and another in the 7th.

Factor all that in and they've added a ton of talent and done so without any long term salary ramifications and while losing incredibly little draft capital at all.

They crushed it in the offseason strategy, and so far are completely dominating on the field so far this year as well.

mrt144

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":3q4xi07e said:
mrt144":3q4xi07e said:
SkyHawks16":3q4xi07e said:
Marvin49":3q4xi07e said:

And why should we hold that potential for washout over the heads of Rams fans? It just seems like salty fan tears trying to diminish whatever hope and enthusiasm a Rams fan might have like the cursed froyo from The Simpsons.

Like I said, I hate having to stand up for the Rams but its one thing to hope the opposing team tastes bitter fruit for their effort and another to say they should have never even tried for the juicy fruit cause they very well could wind up with the bitter stuff.

The Rams are trying to make a push and while the price of failure might be steep, the reward is the entire rationale of playing the game. The Rams as they stand now are not in the same boat as Bills, Raiders, et al. Theyre trying to tip the scales in their favor to the nth degree, not massage an additional 2 wins out of a mediocre team and look 'respectable' and play for 2019 or 2020s SB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really well said. And the way they've set it up I don't even think the price of failure is that steep. Beyond the Cooks contract they haven't given any of these guys anything long term, and as of now they've lost what, a 2nd, a 3rd and some late round picks and they have two thirds coming back to them? For the chance to push all in that's a GREAT deal, in my opinion.

And they still have their first next year that they can spend on Edge in a ridiculously Edge rich year, if they don't want to bring Fowler back.

The Cooks trade and contact is really the only thing they've done that I don't like, but I also kinda get it because the WR market was just dumb all around last offseason.

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":17vwc9au said:
Really well said. And the way they've set it up I don't even think the price of failure is that steep. Beyond the Cooks contract they haven't given any of these guys anything long term, and as of now they've lost what, a 2nd, a 3rd and some late round picks and they have two thirds coming back to them? For the chance to push all in that's a GREAT deal, in my opinion.

And they still have their first next year that they can spend on Edge in a ridiculously Edge rich year, if they don't want to bring Fowler back.

The Cooks trade and contact is really the only thing they've done that I don't like, but I also kinda get it because the WR market was just dumb all around last offseason.

I'm on the same page as you in what they really gave up not being initially arresting. Maybe year 4 or 5 they start feeling some of this in a death by a thousand cuts way if they keep on like this but...

The greater question raised in my mind in this thread goes to the heart of an individual fan's hopes:

Is it worth going in all in for a SB run when you're already kinda in the catbird seat?
Is any amount of Jeff Fisher worth any amount of years of McVay?
If the Rams won the SB how long would Rams fans appreciate it and would it be worth 4 years of ~.500 ball? (and just based on .net it seems like a SB win gets you ~4-5 years for many fans, a lifetime pass for some and a few that are still asking why we didnt have a dynasty...)

FWIW, no matter how the Rams fare because of all of this, we are going to have a ton of intriguing franchises to keep tabs on in the future from a GM/Rostering perspective -

Rams making a push - will it haunt them?
Raiders blowing the whole thing up!
Will the Eagles get back to the playoffs even? And what does 2019 even hold for them?
Mahomes!!!

I don't think I've been more happy to anticipate the future in the last 2 years.

toffee

Reaction score
What a winning way to build a franchise, draft a stud QB, use his rookie contract to facilitate signing top FAs. Run for superbowl.

On the other hand, one could sign some unproven FA, give dude a max contract, sign bunch of el cheapo FA cause you no more cap. LOL and just when you QB ain't ready, front office signed some aged prima donna just for selling tickets.

Got to like what Lambs are doing.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I don't care about the picks at all.

We will still end up with around 7 draft picks next year - or more - including our first. After that we have all our picks except the fifth rounder that was traded today. We had eight draft picks last year. So after "mortgaging the future" on multiple occasions, the Rams will still have averaged at least seven draft picks since that trade while only missing one first rounder.

Win or lose in the playoffs, what Snead and McVay have done is nothing short of amazing.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2jaudmic said:
Fowler has not been very good this season. Kind of a lot to pay for an up and down player in a contract year. They needed edge, but not sure this is much of an upgrade. Nbd for us.

I respectfully disagree.

It’s a piece added that the Rams need w huge upside.

Games will be played and we will see.

RedAlice

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":i5ohqf5y said:
mrt144":i5ohqf5y said:
SkyHawks16":i5ohqf5y said:
Marvin49":i5ohqf5y said:

Again, respectfully disagree. Rams are built for the long term.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ll3qjogp said:
SkyHawks16":ll3qjogp said:
Sgt. Largent":ll3qjogp said:
SkyHawks16":ll3qjogp said:
The future doesn't look that good when you don't win it all. All those picks lost, all those huge contracts to handle...not envious at all.

Yeah but it looks great when you win one like the Hawks and Eagles just did.

The fact is the Patriots and Brady are the exception, look at the highest paid QB's in the league and you don't find too many SB winners over the past 10 years.

Certainly possible to try and achieve that Patriot sustained success, but I'd much rather we go for broke and win a SB every 10 years than be in a perpetual holding pattern of a hamstrung cap because we're paying our QB crazy money soaking up 25% of the cap space.
No, don't put us with the Rams. Most of our players were drafted by us, we didn't waste picks to get big names on FA, how we won the superbowl happened organically. The Rams are getting big names, wasting their future drafts, we didn't do that. Their defense isn't really anything special despite all the big names they got.

Not really giving the Rams credit, most of their core players they also drafted.

Did we draft Lynch? Bennett? Clemons? Avril? Giacomini? Harvin? McDonald? Miller? McQuistan? Browner? Rice?

All I'm saying is I get what the Rams are doing. I don't like it, but I get it. Once they have to pay Goff, they lose 5-6 impact players instantly.

Omg, essays written here.

Who are actually the BEST players on the Rams?

Here are the drafted players:

Goff
Gurley
Donald

Probably the top 3 indisputable. Drafted.

Brockers
Kupp
Zuerlein
Hekker
Havenstein
Saffold
Everette
Higbee (great TE blocker)
J Johnson
Joyner

Off the top of my head.

Pieces have been added obviously, but it’s adding to the core.

It’s kinda an excuse to say Rams are built at the core by FA.