Rams trade for Brandon Cooks

adeltaY

Reaction score
So much coping in this thread LOL. Giving the impression cooks is some kind of scrub or just a guy - he's not. They lost Watkins and got a other deep threat. That will help McVay stretch the field and get other guys open. If Goff can improve his deep ball, their offense will be even more dangerous.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Everyone saying too many egos on the Rams...is that not what we had when we had success? I am not saying Rams are gonna win the sb but they are a helluva lot better now than last season.

Rambitious

Reaction score
drrew":1ps9oi91 said:
Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

This better work out for the Rams because that roster is going to get blown up.

The rams are projected to have $110 million in free cap Space in 2019.
For just this reason.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd like the trade if it was the Seahawks but it isn't 'awful' by any means.

The Rams now don't select until the late third. Then they have 3 4th's and 5 6th's.

adeltaY

Reaction score
original poster":1q7romob said:
I'm not sure I'd like the trade if it was the Seahawks but it isn't 'awful' by any means.

The Rams now don't select until the late third. Then they have 3 4th's and 5 6th's.

What do you think they might do with those picks? I'm guessing they trade up in the draft or maybe package some of those sixth round picks with someone like Brockers or Barron in a trade to get some higher draft capital back.

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":2qlpk3kh said:
original poster":2qlpk3kh said:

What do you think they might do with those picks? I'm guessing they trade up in the draft or maybe package some of those sixth round picks with someone like Brockers or Barron in a trade to get some higher draft capital back.

I'd say they will stick where they are in general, they may do some moving around but nothing dramatic I wouldn't say.

At this point they'll be adding depth guys and camp bodies.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rambitious":1k6zikhh said:
drrew":1k6zikhh said:
Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

For just this reason.

No, let's be realistic here. The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid. The best I've read on facts are that after paying all contracts due, Rams are at $40m.

Still a fair play for next year and by no means shoved outa the game: but let's keep it real.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RedAlice":1y2fngjo said:
The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid.

Exactly, which is why the claim that this is a one-year shot and the team is going to have to be blown up because of it is so wrong.

Last year the Seahawks brought in rentals to try to supplement around their stars who were all on the back end of their second contracts. They pushed right up against the cap and didn't have cap room moving forward, so no matter what happened, they were a year or two off from having to blow things up, and they chose to do so this year instead of next.

The Rams on the other hand, are bringing in more pieces to supplement their stars who are still on their first contracts, and they've got nothing but cap room moving forward.

I guess one could complain that they're mortgaging the future with this by giving away draft picks, but I think that's wrong for two reasons:

1) Like other smart teams who are on the cutting edge of how to play this (Eagles, and Pats) the Rams have realized that we're well past the flat cap era in which draft picks were gold, and now that the cap is jumping every year draft picks have become overvalued and mid- and late-career talent is now undervalued. With the cap going up by 10 million a year you can basically bring in vet reinforcements and keep your team together as much as you want to.

2) Because they're trading for players they still have two third round comp picks coming back to them next year (they'll have four picks in the first three rounds next year), and it's not like they're without any draft picks this year either (they're sitting out day one, but they still have a 3rd, three 4ths, and four 6ths -- that's eight depth and develop guys coming in behind the stars they've landed).

Elemas

Reaction score
The Rams are going to be as competitive as any team in the league the next few seasons (at least). While I think NE got the better deal here, Cooks helps replace some of the deep threat they lost.

Cap wise...they are still in good position.

No Hawks fan enjoys seeing other Division/Conference teams get exponentially better but, I think we're in for some battles with both the Rams and SF.

As for our off-season, I'm still at a loss...little cap space, losses on both sides of the ball.

Anyways...that discussions for another forum.

chris98251

Reaction score
With the Ego's they have brought it they could roll over most teams and dominate, however with those same ego's if they start off slow and have adversity the whole thing could implode, strong personality types are great if they positively reinforce a situation, explosive personalities as we seen can divide things quickly.

Jac

Reaction score
They've lost/replaced a few very good players as well, so it's not a pure additive upgrade over last year's squad. That being said, what makes these moves troublesome is that they have an innovative head coach that will likely scheme to their talents. It's not necessarily an issue this year because we're hitting reboot, so expectations are different.

SF49r

Reaction score
Cooks going to be a beast in Mcvays offense look at what desean Jackson did in it despite kirk cousins overthrowing him alot. Don't think all the egos together will be an issue, wade Philips will keep them in check. Aslong as they stay winning everything will be fine for the rams

Rambitious

Reaction score
Passepartout":2s6qjcj7 said:
Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!

Wow....
A Pro Bowl QB is a dud... ??
You do know Goff played in the Pro Bowl last year, ya?

Rambitious

Reaction score
RedAlice":1q6tpwr5 said:
Rambitious":1q6tpwr5 said:
drrew":1q6tpwr5 said:

For just this reason.

No, let's be realistic here. The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid. The best I've read on facts are that after paying all contracts due, Rams are at $40m.

Still a fair play for next year and by no means shoved outa the game: but let's keep it real.

No, my post was realistic.
And yes, over the next few years they do have a lot of players that need paying.
Point is, they have enough cap $$ to pay who they want/need by and large.

I always keep it real.
It’s what I do.

rossob

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ucz30z6 said:
Everyone saying too many egos on the Rams...is that not what we had when we had success? I am not saying Rams are gonna win the sb but they are a helluva lot better now than last season.
We did, but imo there is a difference between adding multiple new big egos to a team and having a cohesive unit that played for quite some time together but consists of big egos.

iigakusei

Reaction score
In general even if I think this was an overpay - I would be psyched to be a Rams fan right now. I love it when teams sense a window and go all out to win it all. That ultimately is what it is all about.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If the Pats GM calls you then you have to know that he thinks you are a sucker.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Rambitious":ytaofmd3 said:
Passepartout":ytaofmd3 said:
Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!

Wow....
A Pro Bowl QB is a dud... ??
You do know Goff played in the Pro Bowl last year, ya?

Goff is not a dud IMO, but his stats were largely a product of McVay's offense. Lots of easy throws and screens. He did flash some beast talent though. Up to him and his coaches to continue to develop. Also that OL was damn good in all facets last year.