Rams trade for Brandon Cooks

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RedAlice":1siefz92 said:
It is immensely entertaining that this off-season other teams fans are examining the Rams cap space for NEXT YEAR to criticize them.

Was only last year's off-season that other teams fans were just repeating over and over how much the Rams sucked even though I kept saying - McVay. Watch McVay.

Fun off-season. Oh how the times have changed.

Well the thing is, even if McVay sucked (and how could he, being the one Shanahan pupil he thought highest of), the simple fact of Jeff Fiscccccchhher being fired bought the team at least three wins.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I’m still shocked that Fisher couldn’t do better with the talent they gave him. Before the 2016 season started, I had the Rams pencilled in as competing for the NFCW crown. That prediction looked silly at the end of the season, but all the pieces were there, Fisher just couldn’t coach them.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rambitious":1fv5dd8i said:
Passepartout":1fv5dd8i said:
Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!

Wow....
A Pro Bowl QB is a dud... ??
You do know Goff played in the Pro Bowl last year, ya?
Jeff Saturday, the long-time former center of the Colts, was voted to the Pro Bowl in his final season (with the Packers) during which he sucked and was benched that season and replaced by Evan Dietrich-Smith. He even publicly told fans they got it wrong and shouldn't have voted for him: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/27 ... f-saturday

What's your point? Oh, I get it - that making the Pro Bowl means you're good. Sorry to disappoint, but you're confusing the Pro Bowl with making the AP's All-Pro team, which is the one that actually matters.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wj1s63vj said:
Rambitious":wj1s63vj said:
Passepartout":wj1s63vj said:

Wow....
Jeff Saturday, the long-time former center of the Colts, was voted to the Pro Bowl in his final season (with the Packers) during which he sucked and was benched that season and replaced by Evan Dietrich-Smith. He even publicly told fans they got it wrong and shouldn't have voted for him: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/27 ... f-saturday

What's your point? Oh, I get it - that making the Pro Bowl means you're good. Sorry to disappoint, but you're confusing the Pro Bowl with making the AP's All-Pro team, which is the one that actually matters.

Well to be fair Goff executed the offense well and had a 4 TD/INT ratio, 8.0 YPA, and a rating over 100 and he was the QB for the #1 ppg offense. Using one extreme example to debunk this specific case is a stretch. Also, making the All-Pro team is pretty hard as a QB, you have to be the best or second best that season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
adeltaY":rkuf347x said:
RolandDeschain":rkuf347x said:
Rambitious":rkuf347x said:
Passepartout":rkuf347x said:

Wow....

Well to be fair Goff executed the offense well and had a 4 TD/INT ratio, 8.0 YPA, and a rating over 100 and he was the QB for the #1 ppg offense. Using one extreme example to debunk this specific case is a stretch. Also, making the All-Pro team is pretty hard as a QB, you have to be the best or second best that season.

Goff was not an all-pro in 2017

adeltaY

Reaction score
I know and didn't say he was. Just saying he wasn't necessarily undeserving of the pro bowl nod.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Haven't seen anything out of Goff to suggest he will be worth the 30 plus million APY it will likely take to sign him to a long-term contract. At the same time, haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be, at least, the equivalent of Smith/Cousins/Carr/Flacco.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't envision Goff ever being a top 5 QB however that's not exactly a bad thing.

I can absolutely see him hovering around the 6th-10th best though. There's a lot of teams that would give their left leg for that, especially given his age.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2iu8s92j said:
2019 what they'd have to pay these guys:

Donald: (calculated market value: ~19.5 million)
Cooks: ~14.8 million
Suh: ~14.2 million
Joyner: ~10.6 million
Peters: ~10 million
Talib: ~8 million
Gurley: ~10 million
Three starting offensive linemen tallying: ~10 million minimum
Sam Shields: whatever his market value will be it will be higher than they'll be willing to pay

However many role players, such as Tavon Austin, they want to keep. Ignoring them, they're already looking at, based on the above: Roughly 100 million dollars for 11 players.

They are not going to be able to keep this team together. One to two seasons maximum. and then they'll have to pray that Goff can take a step up and be the reason the team wins rather than merely a contributor.

Two things:

(1) Ignoring Tavon Austin isn't some kind of caveat. You're ignoring Austin because not even his mother believes he's going to get to see that contract through.

(2) Roughly 100 million for 11 players sounds crazy, but next year they already have roughly 100 million in free cap room, so you're basically saying that they can keep their team together if they want to.

And once you start factoring in that the dollar value on contracts often gets backloaded and that that the cap is going up by 10 million per year or so (if that continues, by the time these guys are really breaking the bank on their next deals the cap will be WELL north of 200 million) it's totally possible.

It's like how 9ers fans constantly insisted that the Seahawks couldn't keep their team together because 9ers fans didn't really understand how operating during a rising cap era is really different than during a flat cap era.

TBF the Seahawks are currently breaking up their team, but that's not because they HAVE TO, they're doing it because they want to, and for reasons that don't really have much to do with the salary cap.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Re: Goff

I know I'm one of many who has drawn questions to Goff's ability and argued that McVay put him on a low difficulty setting, but we also shouldn't take that TOO far.

So, here's something that's true that will also be unpopular to admit:

As of right now I don't think Goff has shown the ability to be a top QB in the NFL, but at the same time, last year he put up a season as a passer that's functionally equivalent to or better than five of Russell Wilson's six seasons in the NFL.

That's not even remotely a knock on Wilson. It's an acknowledgement that Goff isn't entirely chopped meat either.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":25aazkrx said:
That's not even remotely a knock on Wilson. It's an acknowledgement that Goff isn't entirely chopped meat either.
Yeah, I'm with you, Popeye. I'm just tired of people equating Pro Bowl appearances to elite skill, lol. Have been for years...

mistaowen

Reaction score
Certainly an interesting trade as an 'all in' move. He's an excellent stretch the defense type of player and Goff wasn't asked to take many chances. Sorta surprised the Pats moved him on so quickly... very young, great resume so far, everything I read says he's an awesome locker room guy. Maybe they just didn't want to pay him and hope Hogan can do what he did + a first round pick?

I just don't see this as a solid fit for what they traded away but we'll see.

original poster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3kj0bogp said:
5_Golden_Rings":3kj0bogp said:
2019 what they'd have to pay these guys:

Donald: (calculated market value: ~19.5 million)
Cooks: ~14.8 million
Suh: ~14.2 million
Joyner: ~10.6 million
Peters: ~10 million
Talib: ~8 million
Gurley: ~10 million
Three starting offensive linemen tallying: ~10 million minimum
Sam Shields: whatever his market value will be it will be higher than they'll be willing to pay

However many role players, such as Tavon Austin, they want to keep. Ignoring them, they're already looking at, based on the above: Roughly 100 million dollars for 11 players.

They are not going to be able to keep this team together. One to two seasons maximum. and then they'll have to pray that Goff can take a step up and be the reason the team wins rather than merely a contributor.

Two things:

(1) Ignoring Tavon Austin isn't some kind of caveat. You're ignoring Austin because not even his mother believes he's going to get to see that contract through.

(2) Roughly 100 million for 11 players sounds crazy, but next year they already have roughly 100 million in free cap room, so you're basically saying that they can keep their team together if they want to.

And once you start factoring in that the dollar value on contracts often gets backloaded and that that the cap is going up by 10 million per year or so (if that continues, by the time these guys are really breaking the bank on their next deals the cap will be WELL north of 200 million) it's totally possible.

It's like how 9ers fans constantly insisted that the Seahawks couldn't keep their team together because 9ers fans didn't really understand how operating during a rising cap era is really different than during a flat cap era.

TBF the Seahawks are currently breaking up their team, but that's not because they HAVE TO, they're doing it because they want to, and for reasons that don't really have much to do with the salary cap.

The golden rule for GM's is to get as close to 60% of the salary cap with your top 10 contracts. If you go over that 60%, the chances of a successful season are minimal at best. Too below 60% and the same applies.

If the salary cap reaches $190M in 2019, 60% of that is $114,000,000.