Rams trading for Matthew Stafford

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2wsdxamo said:
Welshers":2wsdxamo said:
Very bad for Seahawks. Rams will be much better.

I think I disagree. Matthew Stafford once went 0-16. A feat that Goff has never achieved, and a feat which would just be absolutely impossible with RW. He may have an arm, but that might be all he brings to the table. Just like Jeff George did.

This is irrelevant. The rams is not a 0-16 team. They just whipped the Hawks with an inferior QB. They will be harder to beat in the next 2 yrs.

As for future, the Hawks wasted 2 1st on a safety.

I don't see how this deal helps Seattle at all.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3k4qxkbd said:
The Rams have given up a lot of first rounds picks recently, but the Seahawks also have given up a couple of picks for Jamaal Adams as well. I don't know know how these trades are going to effect both teams in the future, but with the boatload of picks that the Miami Dolphins have gotten/used recently for their rebuild, I think we are about to find out very soon whether it is worth it to invest heavily in the early portion of the NFL draft.

It may not but have no high picks and no cap sure will destroy your team sooner or later.

They are trading future to win now...if they win then it's worth it . ..

Seanhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":10wk8xqn said:
Welshers":10wk8xqn said:

I think I disagree. Matthew Stafford once went 0-16. A feat that Goff has never achieved, and a feat which would just be absolutely impossible with RW. He may have an arm, but that might be all he brings to the table. Just like Jeff George did.

You've said this in a couple different posts, but Matt Stafford never went 0-16. They went 0-16 in 2008, which netted them the #1 overall pick in 2009 which they used to select, wait for it, Matt Stafford.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’m glad they didn’t trade for Watson.
Plus Stafford has been getting hurt quite a bit lately.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Why does it seem the rams can afford everyone, and we can’t even afford to pay middle of the road guys?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
GeekHawk":5rarqond said:
Also, I think that giving up 2 firsts and a third, combined with the fact that they're in Cap Hell next year so they have to give up established stars and try to make it up in the draft, kinda makes them look doomed. Back down to reality for you, lambs! Haha!

That is pretty much a mirror of our own situation, isn't it?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Elemas":3lqfjd1g said:
Immediate future, good on the Rams. They unloaded a huge contract. The negative comments about Stafford, 0-16, I understand. But, I’m not sure those who make those comments have truly watched Stafford over the years. There’s a reason they coughed up multiple picks and it wasn’t to just unload Goffs contract. The Rams just got better. Way better. Good enough to take the clear lead in the NFC West. Well, barring SF getting Watson. We’d be fighting AZ for 3rd. And that wouldn’t be a guarantee.

Long term...the Rams may be in a very bad place. They went all-in with there last few deals, tradings.

You neglected to consider the Rams lost a huge portion of their coaching staff this year. That could have a significant negative effect, depending on what they are able to do in the way of replacements.

If SF gets Watson and regains health is their IR department we'll be lucky to get a W vs them. They are way deeper at most spots than we are.
The Cards just keep getting better. Unless we find a way to become considerably better I have a tough time seeing how we're going to compete at the top of our division.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When Watson lands in San Fran, good times for everyone. :D

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1as9xxmg said:
The Rams really need to put a premium on his conditioning and health, because he has a penchant for lingering injuries, and he's not getting any younger. Hope their backup is up for the task.

A better QB NOW, but Goff was a good QB and still has upside. This also sends a message to the rest of their team and long term deals, because they just mortgaged their future for an aging QB who has a lot of miles on him. I think Stafford is a really good quarterback and has been in a crappy situation in Detroit for a long time. He'll get to play with a stellar defense and ample weapons on offense. I think this makes them better immediately, but that offensive line needs to keep him upright, or injuries could be his story L.A. story.
Goff is not a good QB, he is a mid tier QB. He's mediocre and had an extremely limited skillset. McVay really dumbed things down for Goff and simplified his reads. Goff also has a tendency to fold like a lawn chair when he is pressured. He's not good under pressure.

You are right about the injury concerns for Stafford. His issue is he takes some nasty hits trying to stand in the pocket and make a play. He has not been very healthy, which is why I think this move might backfire for them.

John63

Reaction score
Welshers":3cewe0jm said:

I disagree the Rams are built for a mobile QB, Stafford is not mobile.

Stafford career numbers include an 89 Qb rating, a 1.8-1 td/int ratio, 62% complt. Those are not great numbers.

IAdd what they gav eup adn I thinkn the Rams are taking a step back.

John63

Reaction score
Stafford is a superrios Qb to Goff? really

Goff career
91 Qb rating, 1-1 td/int ratio, 64% complt,

Stafford Career
89qb Rating, 1.5-1 td/int ratio, 63 Complt%

Seems they are virtually the same.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":gecjs744 said:
Stafford is a superrios Qb to Goff? really

Goff career
91 Qb rating, 1-1 td/int ratio, 64% complt,

Stafford Career
89qb Rating, 1.5-1 td/int ratio, 63 Complt%

Seems they are virtually the same.

With the most surface-level evaluation you could possibly make, sure. The truth is obvious if you dig deeper. I'll quote my post from another thread:

Maelstrom787":gecjs744 said:
This is lacking a ton of context. Goff's limitations are clear, and its apparent that Goff has played in a very QB friendly scheme his whole career.

For instance, lets look at their Average Intended Air Yards per pass. Goff is the 4th lowest in the league at 6.6 IAY. Stafford is one of the highest, at 9 IAY. For reference, Russell "Deep Passes Only" Wilson is at 8.6 IAY on the year. This matches the eye test - Stafford's numbers come on harder passes, and he remains as efficient (or more efficient, even) than Goff, who plays in a scheme that takes the pressure off the QB, closely related to Shanahan's (Jimmy G 6.2 IAY, Mullens 6.6 IAY).

It's clear to me than Stafford is going to be both able to run the current scheme they have as good as or better than Goff, while also adding the deep passing skillset he possesses that Goff simply doesn't.

Stafford also outclasses Goff in both EPA and QBR (which is heavily based on EPA), both stats better indicators of overall QB play than passer rating.

Diving into the most recent stats they have, here's a graph illustrating their place on an efficiency plot measuring EPA/play and Completion % over expected.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KryzivenTake2/status/1349035236827537409[/tweet]

Stafford, on a failing team with a lame duck front office known purely for their ineptitude, still outclasses Goff.

Stafford is easily the better quarterback, and keep in mind, they're not paying all of this just for Stafford, they're also paying to get rid of Goff and his untenable cap burden. The real criticism is that they extended Goff to begin with.

Again, stats need to be evaluated in context.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
5thgen":1ok15hro said:
Tate did a lot better with Stafford than wilson. We should have gotten Stafford with an even trade for wilson. The hawks will be lucky to be third in the division going forward.
:roll: :dummy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I for one hate this trade. I think the Rams are legit contenders with Stafford. He's always been a good QB but surrounded by an inept franchise. With weapons and a offensive mastermind in McVay, look out. Once he adjusts to the new system, well...We thought it was tough to beat the Rams with Goff? Let's not kid ourselves here.

The only worst news at this point is hearing Watson being traded to the 9ers. God forbid.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
I agree Todd. I was listening to a news clip before the deal went down and the talk was all about potential landing spots for Stafford. During the clip the Rams were talked about and Adam Schefter said if the Rams somehow get him watch out. Game changer for that organization. Not to mention his high school buddy plays for the Dodgers (Kershaw). He’s going to be one happy dude with a chip on his shoulder. Yikes.

TraderGary

Reaction score
This is very bad news for the Hawks. The one weakness the Rams had before this trade was at QB. They have now turned that weakness into a strength. There are no obvious weaknesses on the Rams, and I have to think this move makes them the early odds on favorite to win the NFCW in 2021.

And for those saying the Rams have been weakened due to all their losses on the coaching staff, well as long as McVay is still there, I wouldn't be overly concerned about that if I were a Rams fan. It all starts and ends with McVay.

I think with this development, if we hope to continue to compete with teams like the Rams for the division crown, it's going to be imperative that we have a more dynamic offense than we did in the 2nd half of the 2020 season. And that means PC staying the hell out of the way and letting Waldron do his job.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Aros":3g4lgjqs said:
I for one hate this trade. I think the Rams are legit contenders with Stafford. He's always been a good QB but surrounded by an inept franchise. With weapons and a offensive mastermind in McVay, look out. Once he adjusts to the new system, well...We thought it was tough to beat the Rams with Goff? Let's not kid ourselves here.

The only worst news at this point is hearing Watson being traded to the 9ers. God forbid.
:ditto: