Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NorCal":kau337zt said:
I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

And I think it is fallacy to assume that had the SEA WRs not dropped those balls, that those possessions would have resulted in TDs.

Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)

I think SF dominated more when they dominated, but for a long stretch it felt like the Seahawks had the game under control, but couldn't turn it into points. My read on the game was that it should have been 20-6 Seattle going into the 4th quarter without the drops. That's the way the game felt to me. Smith looked badly out of sync the entire game save one drive. Wilson was dialed in during the first half but got killed by drops and eventually lost his rhythm because of it. The 49ers destroyed Seattle in the 4th quarter, but before that it felt like the game was all Seahawks momentum wise. They just couldn't cash in.

Don't get me wrong: SF deserved to win, the way that both teams played, and that's what counts. I'm not trying to cheapen the win. I'm just saying that Seattle looked like the more talented bunch out there. Talented, but underachieving.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":3jeorxqj said:
I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

What's wrong with working at McDonalds? Not that I ever worked there...okay okay, so I made some bad choices when I was younger, but I was really drunk at the time, and really really hungry. :?

Carhanu21

Reaction score
Seahawks dominated the first half but were unable to capitalize due to unforced errors (dropped passes). Niners dominated the second half and were able to capitalize on their one big opportunity by scoring a touchdown (the only one in the game).

Lynch and the Seahawk O-line out-played the Niners D. Gore and the Niner O-line out-played the Seahawk D even more.

The Seahawk passing game sucked. The Niner passing game sucked less.

In summary, the Seahawks got outplayed. You can argue which team has the most talent or who will be better next year, but that is all meaningless speculation. One team (the Niners) executed on the field, beat the Pete Carroll Seahawks for the third time in a row, and is now in first place. Up to this point, the Niners have been the better team. That is all we know for sure right now. Cant wait until december to see these teams play again. Should be fun.

Maybe the Seahawks will be the better team by the end of the season. But they have to execute on the field and have the mental strength to live up to their supposed superior talent. In addition, Pete Carroll and the Seahawk coaches have to out-scheme opposing coaches on a consistent basis. So far, he has not done that. Based on performance, I think you have to give the nod to Harbaugh as the superior coach RIGHT NOW based on the head-to-head record AND overall record.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Carhanu21":21a09yss said:
Seahawks dominated the first half but were unable to capitalize due to unforced errors (dropped passes). Niners dominated the second half and were able to capitalize on their one big opportunity by scoring a touchdown (the only one in the game).

Lynch and the Seahawk O-line out-played the Niners D. Gore and the Niner O-line out-played the Seahawk D even more.

The Seahawk passing game sucked. The Niner passing game sucked less.

In summary, the Seahawks got outplayed. You can argue which team has the most talent or who will be better next year, but that is all meaningless speculation. One team (the Niners) executed on the field, beat the Pete Carroll Seahawks for the third time in a row, and is now in first place. Up to this point, the Niners have been the better team. That is all we know for sure right now. Cant wait until december to see these teams play again. Should be fun.

Maybe the Seahawks will be the better team by the end of the season. But they have to execute on the field and have the mental strength to live up to their supposed superior talent. In addition, Pete Carroll and the Seahawk coaches have to out-scheme opposing coaches on a consistent basis. So far, he has not done that. Based on performance, I think you have to give the nod to Harbaugh as the superior coach RIGHT NOW based on the head-to-head record AND overall record.

3 things.

1. We were on the road. For NFC west teams, the motto is "suck on the road, good at home". Even more so for us Hawks (we gotta travel so far! It's a curse)

2. We hung with you on the road. Props please?

3. I think both teams were pretty even in terms of domination. One difference though. San Francisco cashed in their domination and such with points. We did not, at all. That is maybe the signs of the more experienced team winning out, we can only hope that fixes with time.

All I can say for the Hawks is, maybe next game.

Carhanu21

Reaction score
hawksfan515,

I respect what you said.

In response to point #1, the home/road element isnt gonna cut it in this argument becuase the Niners were able to beat the Seahawks last year IN Seattle. And that was late in the year when the Seahawks were playing well. Pete Carroll's squad has to prove that they can beat Harbaugh's squad in any setting, home or away.

In response to point #2, I will give you props for fighting hard and putting a stiff competition. The Seahawks D is one of the best in the NFL, no doubt. Possibly better than SF but too early to be sure. Lynch is one of the best RB's in the league. Definitely better than Gore right now. I'm not a believer in Russell Wilson right now. Sure, he is a rookie but his season stats so far appear pretty sub-par even for a rookie.

In response to point #3, yes it was pretty even overall. The main difference again was the mental errors and coaching, which are a big deal. The mental and coachig aspects are significant parts of what seperates contenders from pretenders. Personally, i actually like Carroll as a coach. He seems to be a good talent evaluator overall and does a good job of motivating his players. Just dont think he is quite in Harbaugh's class right now. Again, that doesnt mean things cant change. Players and coaches rise and fall all the time just like Roman Emperors.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
"-Candlestick park was very quiet for most of the game."

I was at the game (maybe you were too), but where I was sitting the fans were very loud most of the time when the Hawks were on offense. It's not as loud as the Clink, but for that crappy stadium (I hate that park) the fans were pretty classy in my area (south/west endzone) and they were pretty loud.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
On TV it was very quiet until the 4th quarter.

Reaction score
I was at the game. It felt like I was watching 2 pee wee teams. It was soo unexciting.