Random thoughts on the Chargers game

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Good thing we have the Donkos coming up. I think PC and Bevell will learn from this loss.
As our midget QB with big hands, big brain, big heart and big balls said: All we need is a chance.
Left without much defensive effort and as lopsided as that game appeared we were only one score away from winning it in the end. Give us another shot with the Donkos because I think they will be ready this time.

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3bryfqy8 said:
Tical21":3bryfqy8 said:
Maybe not, but you'll agree that it is all in the same vein, right? If you're going to go for 4th downs, why stop there? These types of things might hold water if you're quite inferior to your opponent, but if you're the better team, you have to believe you'll eventually win if you can keep surviving.
All in the same vein to a limited extent, I would say. I also agree with your overall point about eventually winning if you can keep surviving. My question now is, how is that relevant with eight minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by six, when you've watched your defense get smoked all day long? It's an unusual situation we found ourselves in, defense-wise, and I just can't believe we decided to go conservative there. *shrug*

Doesn't matter if your defense allowed 0 points per game for the last 25 straight games, if they're getting smoked that day, you have to look at THAT way more than what they've done in the past.
I believe that thinking is a little short-sighted, and football coaches can't afford to think like that. If you believe in your defense, you're going to believe in them. The last 50 minutes doesn't matter. You believe that you and your staff and your players are going to get it figured out and get you the ball back. That is the way a defensive coach thinks. And guess what? They did. They got it figured out, got us the big stop, and we got the ball back with plenty of time to score.

If we had gone for it, we more than likely get it. But if we don't, the game is over, done. And you as a coach have to try to explain to your players why you didn't trust them enough to pull that game out.

Call me old school, but I that isn't even a 99 out of 100 for me. That is a 100 punts out of 100, because I believe in my team, and I'm not going to risk the entire outcome of the game on converting a 4th down when I don't have to.

Largent80

Reaction score
I was in the opposite end zone when that 4th down came up. Instantly my mind went into desperation mode and I said go for it.

Then, reasoning set in and it was just too deep in our territory. If it was midfield or near there, I have no doubts Pete would have gone for it. But after hearing the Chargers P.A. announcer say "first down Chargers" all day, I knew at that point we were roasted.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":19b3dfey said:
I believe that thinking is a little short-sighted, and football coaches can't afford to think like that. If you believe in your defense, you're going to believe in them. The last 50 minutes doesn't matter. You believe that you and your staff and your players are going to get it figured out and get you the ball back. That is the way a defensive coach thinks. And guess what? They did. They got it figured out, got us the big stop, and we got the ball back with plenty of time to score.

If we had gone for it, we more than likely get it. But if we don't, the game is over, done. And you as a coach have to try to explain to your players why you didn't trust them enough to pull that game out.

Call me old school, but I that isn't even a 99 out of 100 for me. That is a 100 punts out of 100, because I believe in my team, and I'm not going to risk the entire outcome of the game on converting a 4th down when I don't have to.

Completely agree. And with over 8 minutes still left on the clock, even the worst defense in the NFL would trust their defense enough to punt there.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":3ht2fuo8 said:
Tical21":3ht2fuo8 said:

Completely agree. And with over 8 minutes still left on the clock, even the worst defense in the NFL would trust their defense enough to punt there.
And the flip side is kind of like kicking a FG from the 1. If it bothers you (the offense) that much, get the 1st down/TD before it's 4th and short. Otherwise (speaking as the coach), I'm playing the percentages.

:229031_shrug: