Random thoughts on the Packers game

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I think one of the most interesting notes for the game was the fact that the blur offensive, or one of its derivatives didn't function against the Hawks.

Only on one drive in the second half did the Packers manage to get Seattle starters tired by stopping them from subbing in. After that drive the offensive was just about to go three and out, but then was saved on a defensive holding call and that was that.

This bodes well for teams like Philadelphia who Seattle may meet in the playoffs.

A

Anonymous

The thing that stood out for me is the use of the jet sweep in such a blatantly obvious fashion and the level of non-awareness the D had.

The first time it was run, it was in exactly the same formation as in the SB, but 180'd to the opposite side of the field. Not one of the GB defenders recognized it, and even after all the preparation time they had, they were burned hopelessly by it. It was as though we got cocky and said, "this is what we are running, try to stop it".

So cool.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Lynch, Wilson and Harvin stay healthy the whole year -> Dance all night!

If they put up an All Star defense, they still cant stop This three headed knock out punch.

A pass offense as prolific as the Aaron Rodgers' Packers decides to avoid the entire right side of the field because of one single cornerback... There is not a greater sign of respect in The world. Richard Sherman needs to find a new way to motivate himself cause lack of respect is very far fetched. I bet his vacation House in Kaps head is newly renovated, shiny and polished.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2t77ndw7 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2t77ndw7 said:
I dunno, man. The only "ooooo's" I heard on Lynch's runs were of the "ooooooo damn dude just got trucked" variety.

The way the crowd expressed it.... that's generally not how people say that kind of "oooo" normally. It's like their saying "bluuuuuuuue" or something but not enunciating the consonants. It's damn weird. The fact that nobody has mentioned this anywhere and yet fans have been doing it now at home games for a while has me puzzled. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I remember hearing it in the preseason (and Lynch only had like 3 carries in the preseason).

I heard that too, and my wife asked after a couple ML runs last night "Are they booing him, why are they booing?" I told her they're not booing, but I couldn't figure out what it could be other than "Ooooo".... ??

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Of course, it was more than a little annoying hearing teams with just a smidgen of Seattle's DVOA standing making "why not us" claims, and it got to the point where I am thinking in my head "because you ain't the Seahawks, dipshit!" Pretty much the instant that thought crosses my mind, Russell Wilson walks on screen and says:

"BECAUSE YOU GOTTA GO THOUGH US... go hawks."

:stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les: :stirthepot: :les:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
kearly":39rtoblg said:
Every time Lynch carried the ball for a nice gain, there was a fairly loud "ooooooooooooo" cheer from the crowd. Anyone know what that's all about?

It's actually every one screaming "Beeeeaaaaasssttt", its just not quite as clear as it was last year (it's the home opener). At least that's what im screaming everytime he makes a good run.

MB12

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":20s8t0x2 said:
kearly":20s8t0x2 said:
Seahawk Sailor":20s8t0x2 said:
I dunno, man. The only "ooooo's" I heard on Lynch's runs were of the "ooooooo damn dude just got trucked" variety.

The way the crowd expressed it.... that's generally not how people say that kind of "oooo" normally. It's like their saying "bluuuuuuuue" or something but not enunciating the consonants. It's damn weird. The fact that nobody has mentioned this anywhere and yet fans have been doing it now at home games for a while has me puzzled. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I remember hearing it in the preseason (and Lynch only had like 3 carries in the preseason).

It was definitely BEEEEEAAAASSST! might have come across differently on TV, as they alter the crowd noise for the broadcast.

Wait, they alter crowd noise? How and why?

TwilightError

Reaction score
Btw. I thought Eddie Lacy looked terrific. He bulldozes through tackles almost Like the Beast. I wonder if Seattle would have picked him if the Packers had not taken him one pick before CMike?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I know at home, during and after every Lynch run, I was yelling "BEEEEAST," and I bet the 12s in attendance at C-Link were doing the same.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Kip, if I had known you were doing one, I wouldn't have done my half assed one I did while buzzed and tired 8)

I think the Packers D is a little better than last year's. It's too early for me to tell if our offense is that damn good, or it was the Packers D being bad. I honestly think they have the personnel for a 15th ranked defense, but they had a lot of injuries last year and that hurt the D. Peppers looked decent for his age; not explosive but really solid. It was a great matchup to start out with for Britt.

I was actually going to start a separate post on the flags. They seemed to keep them in their pockets, that's for sure. I didn't see anything called, either way, in the secondary that wouldn't have been called last year. Wagner's DPI was legit and the hold on Miller was generally called last year when the refs saw it. I don't know if the refs are so worried about the secondary that they aren't watching the lines now, but there was a lot of holding left on the field. I didn't think about Goodell being there, but maybe that's what the refs were thinking; keeeping the flags light to keep the game moving and increase TV ratings.

I wonder how this will change when ol' Roger isn't in the stands.

I'm glad Lynch looks this good. I've honestly thought (and posted before) that Lynch still has two good years after this contract. He breaks tackles than literally no other RB will break. I'm talking about the stuff around his legs. It's got to be insanity trying to tackle that dude. There is precedent for RB's aging well, just look at Gore....and he's had multiple knee surgeries.

Scotte is right, Mathews flopped a few times. Funny thing is, he flopped once (or dove, however you want to say it) and got a hold against Britt, so it was a cagey veteran move.

That read option pass to Lockette was a thing of beauty. Seriously, that's exactly how they write it up for r/o; it can't be defined any better than that play. It's also why Wilson is so special. He's great from the pocket, executes play action very well, and can RUN the read option, and pass from it as well. Guys like Newton, Kap and RGIII run the read option and, well, mostly run.

Loving the offensive play calling. It definately took advantages to our offensive personnel strengths. When we wanted to pass, at times we said screw it, went empy backfield and 5 WRs. My best example of Bevell's ballsiness (and Pete's willingness to be cold blooded and stomp a team) was that play action pass to Coleman on 4th and short. That's a gutsy move and basically ripped the heart out of the Packers at that point.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1fms3xc3 said:
-The pregame opened with a montage of several different NFL teams all having players shout "WHY NOT US!?" with the team icon displayed with each voice. Of course, this phrase was used extensively by Wilson last season and this is just the latest example of the rest of the league playing copy-cat.

Of course, it was more than a little annoying hearing teams with just a smidgen of Seattle's DVOA standing making "why not us" claims, and it got to the point where I am thinking in my head "because you ain't the Seahawks, dipshit!" Pretty much the instant that thought crosses my mind, Russell Wilson walks on screen and says:

"BECAUSE YOU GOTTA GO THOUGH US...

Anyone find a place online to watch this? Sounds pretty cool.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I was at the game and the crowd was chanting "Beasssssssssssstttttttttt" every time Marshawn got the ball. They do this every game.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Get on the phone to Champ Bailey. We got no Corners left. Pick'em up for the Nickel......what the hell

Skansi82

Reaction score
Great post Kearly, you are appreciated.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Bruce Irvin was a non factor? I was at the game and haven't watched it back, but I really hope it's just a conditioning thing because he looked pretty crappy IMO.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I thought this was a methodical beatdown. The only thing that kept the Packers in the game in the first half was the fumble by ET. The Packers just looked outmatched on both sides of the ball.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Skansi82":qg6gfkm8 said:
Great post Kearly, you are appreciated.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Bruce Irvin was a non factor? I was at the game and haven't watched it back, but I really hope it's just a conditioning thing because he looked pretty crappy IMO.

Irvin has had like one week of practice and I don't think he was even on the field that much.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mick063":2qll17lq said:
I was surprised to see Ricardo Lockette figure so heavily into the game plan. The common belief here on .net was that Lockette is a special teams guy with great speed, but very unpolished as a receiver. Apparently, at least for game 1, the staff believes he is more polished than Richardson. Regardless, I have never seen the Seahawks so deep, top to bottom, at wide receiver than they are now. I watched almost every Seahawk game since their expansion year in 1976 so that is saying something. If the staff can turn a physically strong burner like Lockette into an accomplished receiver....lord have mercy. I don't know if any of you remember Michael Bates, Olympic bronze medalist and Seahawk receiver/special teamer, but Lockette is already more accomplished as a receiver than Bates ever was and I believe Lockette is physically comparable to Bates.

I agree. Lockette doesn't get much press on this forum outside of Special Teams, but he's turning into a pretty good Offensive weapon.

Even going back to least year, he seems to always be good for one or two big 10+ yard catches every game he's on the field.

If he can be out there to keep Defenses honest and command their attention a few times a game, that only adds to opening things up for the rest of the Offense.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Great win...Beast was chasing the skittles..Harvin was good..If not for all that slipping he would have busted a long td..That pr fumble wasn't good..I want Earl out of that role fast..Russ and the D -great job..Refs-decent job...1 call I question why Pete did not toss that red flag...It was that packer catch where he had his hands wrapped around the ball and as soon as both feet touched ground a Hawk knocked it out of hands..Fumble???It was the first game so I understand theres bound to be kinks in all areas of the game..

AgentDib

Reaction score
kearly":1lv0p14j said:
It's damn weird. The fact that nobody has mentioned this anywhere and yet fans have been doing it now at home games for a while has me puzzled. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I remember hearing it in the preseason (and Lynch only had like 3 carries in the preseason).
Nobody says anything consistent in my section. I think what you are hearing is the combination of "Oooh!", "Yeah!", "%@#!$$", "BEAST", "Oh Yeah!", "Look at him run over that guy", "F* Yeah!", "BEAST MODE", etc. Sometimes on a 5 yard run where he trucks somebody at the end you'll get a pretty uniform "BEAST" after the play but most of the time it just melds into a roar and indiscriminate shouting.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Hawks46":1l2cf5ik said:
Scotte is right, Mathews flopped a few times. Funny thing is, he flopped once (or dove, however you want to say it) and got a hold against Britt, so it was a cagey veteran move.
I think it's pathetic that a defensive player does this. This isn't the first time Matthews has gone FIFA:
[youtube]rhhwStoqKMk[/youtube]