Rapoport: Harvin to begin practicing next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Week 9. Book it.

Over the last two weeks, there has been a bunch of 5 wide, 4 wide, and very spread 3 WR looks. The 4 and 5 WR looks have not been real effective, and especially the 5 wr looks had a lot of us scratching our heads because they were inviting pressure on an already stressed line.

Those spread looks? All about Harvin. They are getting the offense prepped for his return. I was worried about how they are going to get 10 touches per game for the guy, and I still don't know if we will see him fully integrate to the offense this year, but Pete and Bevell are already taking steps to alter the offense and create space for Harvin. Last year, it was mid season when we really saw them drop some read option looks on defenses, and it stressed those defenses to no end. This year, the wrinkle is going to be these spread looks with the threat of Harvin in space.

This has me VERY excited about Lynch. Lynch has been at his very best this year from single back sets vs nickel looks. Lynch intimidates the hell out of secondary players (paging Tracy Porter), and Harvin means a lot more 3 and 4 WR sets for Lynch. More nickel, more dime, more space. I don't expect a lot of 5 WR, but if any team in the league can maintain the threat of play action with 5 wr, it is a team with Russell Wilson toting the rock.

So, in order, I would expect a lot of 3WR, 1 TE, 1 RB, with some 4WR 1 RB, and a smattering of 5 WR (with Lynch or Turbin motioning to the 5th WR sometimes). I bet they can get at least 30 snaps a game with Harvin on the field this way.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Show me! All the banter is enough to make a nun cuss. I want to see what our CAP hit is buying us.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think we'll see many more short-range passing routes in our offense. Harvin in space three, four, or five yards from the LOS is how Christian Ponder kept his job up until this year.

Between Harvin and Tate, two YAC monsters, this should be a team with major "take it to the house" potential.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm not as sure as you people since Pete did say he needed 2 or 3 weeks of football type practice to be sure he can play.

According to that he would be working himself into shape through week 10 and perhaps be able to start after that. So weeks 11 or 12 still seem more in line to me.

Tho Scott seems to have a better handle on that type of thing than me.

Also since there is a string about this already here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76578

:les:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Radish":2lyaux8t said:
I'm not as sure as you people since Pete did say he needed 2 or 3 weeks of football type practice to be sure he can play.

According to that he would be working himself into shape through week 10 and perhaps be able to start after that. So weeks 11 or 12 still seem more in line to me.

Tho Scott seems to have a better handle on that type of thing than me.

:les:
Nope. Wild ass guess. I just can't see them working sets for Harvin into the offense in week 6 if he is going to be back week 10 or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.