Rawls (ankle) Out vs. Vikings

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SNDavidson":3fc621u6 said:
He's probably fine, they want to look at the other backs I bet.

In the same way that Baldwin, Lockett, Lane, and Willson were all held out last week but Frank Clark wasn't. Clark's position wasn't the one where they needed to try out a deep bench.

ACFan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":luirpsrg said:
If the Hawks are to excel this year, they need a strong running game with 125 or more yards gained each game.

100% agree.

Offset the dual threat of Wilson with a power run game, and you have an offense that can't be stopped, You have a SB winning kind of offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":frkhi6v8 said:
And you make a very good point on his running style, he seems to look for contact more than a lot of guys. I respect that, but at the same time, sometimes you gotta know when it's time to avoid just pounding in to someone.

I think Pete and the coaches have tried to coach this into Rawls, for him to pick his "contact" spots more. Rather than just blasting up into the hole looking for people to run over like a crazy man.

It's like he's TOO hyped up, he has a hard time harnessing the focus and metal side of his game..........to his physical detriment.

Rawls is a fantastic story, we're all rooting for him. But me thinks he isn't ever going to be the dependable back we need. Not with all these other young bucks as Marshawn used to call them ready to prove they belong.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I played RB and you're almost never truly 100%. The irony is that most injuries happen when you're trying not to go down and get extra yards.

Lynch was kind of an anomaly for those 4 years with that kind of style of running in particular. Going forward, we'll just need to have 2-3 backs that can not only start, but produce. It is what it is...

ACFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lt3qyj9 said:
looking for people to run over like a crazy man.

It's like he's TOO hyped up, he has a hard time harnessing the focus and metal side of his game..........to his physical detriment.

wow, like you copy and pasted from my thoughts on that.

I call it running with reckless abandon, it can look great and be effective in spurts, you just can't do it for long.

You have to be Earl Cambell to do it consistently, and it's still a style that didn't serve EC well in the long run.

Luck can play a part at times, but 98% of it is what kind of body you have, and how you use it.

Herschel could have played RB for 20 years, excellent genes and he ran smart.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
After seeing 17 (was it??? jfc) guys trying to run the ball last year it's good by me if TR and EL get saved for later. Preseason games are mostly pointless except for misguided fans who want to buy into the early hype.

Give Carson a heavy dose, followed by Davis and then AC once the D is softened up a bit..

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3rxalbh6 said:
I played RB and you're almost never truly 100%. The irony is that most injuries happen when you're trying not to go down and get extra yards.

Lynch was kind of an anomaly for those 4 years with that kind of style of running in particular. Going forward, we'll just need to have 2-3 backs that can not only start, but produce. It is what it is...

Heck, even Lynch was rarely ever at 100%. Most NFL players aren't at 100% within the first few games. It's the nature of the beast.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
There is a massive difference between game-fit for the pre-season vs game-fit during the season. During the season you play unless the ankle is falling off. Pre-season, probable starters are held out if they have a chipped toenail.

hawk45

Reaction score
Rat":trjezayj said:
Over/Under Combined Games for Rawls and Prosise: 10

I can see it, and kudos for Pete and John for seeing it too and bringing in Lacy and Carson (and Reece). Let's have some sturdy bodies - Lacy you'd better make weight and avoid injury in that way - and so have Rawls and Prosise for the stretch run and the playoffs.

If by some miracle Rawls and Prosise remain healthy the entire year, we roll this season. If not, we are still positioned for a run because next man up isn't CMike or Collins.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kidhawk":38h0gkoc said:
vin.couve12":38h0gkoc said:

Heck, even Lynch was rarely ever at 100%. Most NFL players aren't at 100% within the first few games. It's the nature of the beast.
True

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Vikings are the team that injured him in the first place.

With our craptacular line blocking, I am just fine with him sitting out against them.

And the 1st typically don't stay in that long anyway, not sure what all the handwringing is about.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":p90ze43w said:

With our craptacular line blocking, I am just fine with him sitting out against them.

And the 1st typically don't stay in that long anyway, not sure what all the handwringing is about.

Actually he broke his ankle against the Ravens his rookie year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3gkebz2h said:
TwistedHusky":3gkebz2h said:

Actually he broke his ankle against the Ravens his rookie year.

It sucked watching that happen in person. He was absolutely shredding them. He would've had 200 yards that game if he hasn't broken his ankle. He was cranking out 6-7 yard carries like nothing.

ACFan

Reaction score
Seeking out contact too much is part of the problem. Mainly, it's when you run with reckless abandon, you are pushing every joint, ligament, tendon, muscle to the max.

Whatever quickness and speed Rawls has, it's pegged out at 100% all the time. Eventually he'll over extend something, zig when he should have zagged, and be in a position to get injured, the stress he puts on those ankles takes it's toll.

Collins is the exact opposite, very thoughtful and controlled runner, maybe to a fault at this level.

If Rawls could learn to become a more thoughtful, calculating runner, and Collins could run with a little more reckless abandon, they might both be better off.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
With Rawls out, I hope we see more Carson!!!!(After, Lacy, of course)

Latest posts