Rawls will start this Sunday

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":1vjrobek said:
Haha. Proof to not listen to KJR. RW was drilled, hammered, buried and threw to an open eligible receiver who was admiring his block.

+1
Sherman Smith RB coach was on 950 this afternoon and they asked him about that play. He said that that is one of the things they have been working on, continue to play and help when you don't have the ball. Say Russell takes off on a run and needs a blocker while he teammate is standing there being useless. Say he needs an outlet receiver (as he did). That is part of their job to always be looking to help, and Michael in this case forgot, failed, whatever.

That is not on Russell, he got rid of the ball when he was buried, and had Michael been watching the game, there was open field and big yards there.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Some bonehead in my fantasy league drafted Rawls and then dropped him Monday morning. Guess who just grabbed him to use later on?
I really liked his ferociousness on his runs/catches that I saw. He was pumped up. I cannot wait to see him carry the load again.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
A fun enough quote, from http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/football/ ... 223347.php
--
Running back Thomas Rawls was pumped to get the hard-hitting Tukuafu back in the fold.

"Oh my God. Big Will is back. I'm so excited," Rawls said on Wednesday. "I just cannot stop thinking about him because you know when he gets in the game he breaks like three to four facemasks a game. So I'm excited he's back in that backfield, man."

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1mnbgubx said:
Smellyman":1mnbgubx said:
Haha. Proof to not listen to KJR. RW was drilled, hammered, buried and threw to an open eligible receiver who was admiring his block.

+1
Sherman Smith RB coach was on 950 this afternoon and they asked him about that play. He said that that is one of the things they have been working on, continue to play and help when you don't have the ball. Say Russell takes off on a run and needs a blocker while he teammate is standing there being useless. Say he needs an outlet receiver (as he did). That is part of their job to always be looking to help, and Michael in this case forgot, failed, whatever.

That is not on Russell, he got rid of the ball when he was buried, and had Michael been watching the game, there was open field and big yards there.
I happened to have this on the radio in the car today too.... Smith clearly stated that he had a talk with CM about this specific play, and that he needs to keep his head in the play when he doesn't the play call is not to him, and it is still a problem they are working on with him. Thus, it WAS CM's fault for not paying attention.

That being said, I'm in the camp that it wasn't this play that lost him the starter job, but rather, the team was waiting to see Rawls make it thru a game and come out the other side fully healthy. He did so, and got his gig back. CM is a nice slasher, but falls with initial contact most times. Rawls, OTOH, is a bull and he FINISHES runs, getting the extra yards that CM leaves by the wayside.

Atradees

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":4h8evh01 said:
So the two Rams LBs are walking across the field and they come to some tracks. The SLB says: "These look like dirt tracks." And the WLB says: "No they look like truck tracks." They argue and argue for a while and are still arguing when all of a sudden the Train hits them. Again.

Keep Rawlin Rawlin Rawlin!!!

[youtube]RsXEbqS7cpE[/youtube]

dogorama

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":xonkegyh said:
Seymour":xonkegyh said:
Smellyman":xonkegyh said:

+1

I happened to have this on the radio in the car today too.... Smith clearly stated that he had a talk with CM about this specific play, and that he needs to keep his head in the play when he doesn't the play call is not to him, and it is still a problem they are working on with him. Thus, it WAS CM's fault for not paying attention.

That being said, I'm in the camp that it wasn't this play that lost him the starter job, but rather, the team was waiting to see Rawls make it thru a game and come out the other side fully healthy. He did so, and got his gig back. CM is a nice slasher, but falls with initial contact most times. Rawls, OTOH, is a bull and he FINISHES runs, getting the extra yards that CM leaves by the wayside.

In either case, I don't think this amounts to a controversy and it wasn't a designated play for him but yes, he has to be more aware.

The thing I noticed about Rawls that I forgot about is his pass catching ability, not only is he good at it, but he gets good burst after the catch. I hope CMike can continue to be productive, I feel much more comfortable w/him than either Prosise or Collins. Prosise may have more upside as a pass catcher and Collins may still turn out to be great, but I like the 1-2 punch w/Rawls and CMike.

crosfam

Reaction score
With Prosise limited, I bet CM gets lots of 3rd down back opportunities. He will get plenty of Snaps, But really hoping Rawls is back to form. We are gonna need it vs the Rams, and to keep Russell healthy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Smellyman":378nv4ui said:
gowazzu02":378nv4ui said:
ivotuk":378nv4ui said:
No way!

Yes! Yes! It's likely that Rawls earned it more than Michael lost it. but..

Christine had his chance, and he blew it. He wasn't able to keep his focus on the game for the whole 60 minutes and now he's not starting. What a surprise, what a huge disappointment.

I think this is the best decision form a talent standpoint though, Thomas is far and away the better running back. :2thumbs:

I assume your talking about the play that Michaels took a ball off the helmet? They discussed that in detail on kjr the other day. That was RUSSELS screw up not Michaels. Michaels was a blocker on that play, and he absolutely flat lined his dude. He wasn't look at the ball cause he was looking at the guy he blocked in case he needed to block him again.

Russel got flustered and tried to check down.

Now you could say Cmike could of blocked his guy and looked for a pass immediately after. And yes he could of, But then if the guy he kncoked down scrambles and gets back in the play (cause you know our qb tends to hold onto the ball) then we'd all kill him. or specifically his coachs would kill him for not sticking with an assignment.

I am in awe of how hard people will lean to avoid placing the blame on Russell for anything.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3rd46p3i said:
Smellyman":3rd46p3i said:
gowazzu02":3rd46p3i said:
ivotuk":3rd46p3i said:
No way!

Yes! Yes! It's likely that Rawls earned it more than Michael lost it. but..

Christine had his chance, and he blew it. He wasn't able to keep his focus on the game for the whole 60 minutes and now he's not starting. What a surprise, what a huge disappointment.

I think this is the best decision form a talent standpoint though, Thomas is far and away the better running back. :2thumbs:

I assume your talking about the play that Michaels took a ball off the helmet? They discussed that in detail on kjr the other day. That was RUSSELS screw up not Michaels. Michaels was a blocker on that play, and he absolutely flat lined his dude. He wasn't look at the ball cause he was looking at the guy he blocked in case he needed to block him again.

Russel got flustered and tried to check down.

Now you could say Cmike could of blocked his guy and looked for a pass immediately after. And yes he could of, But then if the guy he kncoked down scrambles and gets back in the play (cause you know our qb tends to hold onto the ball) then we'd all kill him. or specifically his coachs would kill him for not sticking with an assignment.

I am in awe of how hard people will lean to avoid placing the blame on Russell for anything.

Defense of Wilson? Come again? That could have been any qb. The line and then Michael failed him. Explain to me how that is a defense of Wilson.

Are you being obtuse?

Or perhaps explain how it was Wilson's fault?

dogorama

Reaction score
Smellyman":1826jiun said:
MontanaHawk05":1826jiun said:

Defense of Wilson? Come again? That could have been any qb. The line and then Michael failed him. Explain to me how that is a defense of Wilson.

Are you being obtuse?

I don't get any of this. It is one play, things happen fast, players make mistakes in a chaotic fast developing environment. EVERYONE makes mistakes. I get it if it is happening all game or even multiple times but to try and extrapolate a controversy out of one single play? It's crazy.

Smellyman

Reaction score
dogorama":23vcjd7b said:
Smellyman":23vcjd7b said:
MontanaHawk05":23vcjd7b said:

Are you being obtuse?

I don't get any of this. It is one play, things happen fast, players make mistakes in a chaotic fast developing environment. EVERYONE makes mistakes. I get it if it is happening all game or even multiple times but to try and extrapolate a controversy out of one single play? It's crazy.

I know, but he is in "awe of" my defense of Wilson?

I am an awe of his ability to call out pseudo defenses of Wilson. Must be just trolling for it.

Rob12

Reaction score
Surprised at all of the mud being slung Michaels' way in this thread. Dude has come back and reportedly done everything that he's been asked. He's played well, too.

I just don't get it. I'm glad Rawls is starting, but Michael has earned a spot and doesn't deserve what's happening in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Last week Michael had 15 carries, while Rawls had 12. My guess is that it will just be the other way around this time with Rawls having a few carries more than Michael. It's probably too early for Rawls to have 25+ carries.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Michael is a fantastic backup. I couldn't be happier with him as our #2 RB. But that's definitely what he should be. Rawls is the man.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If Michael has a good game this coming Sunday he could start the following game, or not. That may depend upon a large number of factors including how each practices. Pete is managing expectations of playing time, player health, and number of carries. That said I believe Rawls has always been the presumptive starter yet won't be overworked.

I have always wondered why there is a pathelogical need for this board to have whipping boys. Michael has significantly improved over the prior version of his self but still seemingly has mental issues most of which are capable of being improved. Picking on him over this one play when he was effectively correctly completing his assignment seems a stretch. I still think he needs to be more inscrutable prior to plays as he can unintentionally tipoff the D when he isn't to be involved in the play to be run. The observation that he still needs to get his head in the game more is not unfair, but he still has ability to run inside effectively, and with more carries will actually finish better than we saw against the 'Phins.

As well the observation of him leaving yards on the field is certainly fair, but he doesn't fall over with any slight leg tackle like Turbin did to our collective continuing annoyance, the new Michael is a quantum improvement over Turbin. I have been impressed with Michael's recent development and new found dedication to his craft. He has exceptional athleticism that he himself has very slowly learned to harness, he's still learning. He ran very well at times against Miami, his yards/carry total was very good, certainly nothing to complain about. I hope he can learn to keep his head in the game better, he's certainly getting better and starting to show he could be a starting level RB. I believe we will all see more improvement as the lights are coming on for him and the reward will be a solid NFL RB. Better late than never as some never get it. In combination with Rawls he will have a solid season. I'm happy he's on the roster and continue to expect good things from him. I do think he has woken up at last, and needs to continue the improvement of his focus on his craft. He is in a contract year so there is something riding on his work ethic for him which the team can harness.

Hawknight

Reaction score
How well do our RB's usually do against the Rams typically? I'm just curious, do we expect the Rams to box our RB's knowing that Wilson is slightly injured. My concern is that Wilson's not going to have the accuracy or throwing strength with a bummed ankle, if that is still the case come Sunday. Unless Wilson can prove he's mobile this weekend, I expect our WR's to be almost a non-factor. I'm hoping Rawls can have a break out game against the Rams, but see this as a grind game, but the 49ers didi it last weekend. Wasn't it their run game that beat them? I didn't watch it...any thoughts?

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ My guess is that they'll play us like Miami did. Play to stop the run, keep everything in front of them to limit explosive plays. Force Russell to march it down the field with dink & dunk passing.

I don't expect Rawls to have a ton of yards but I think we run the ball more to try and force those safeties / db's up closer to the LoS in the hope that we can get Doug or Tyler behind them once or twice in this game.

Hoping our defense scores some points in this one.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Laloosh":7ghvwv3c said:
^^ My guess is that they'll play us like Miami did. Play to stop the run, keep everything in front of them to limit explosive plays. Force Russell to march it down the field with dink & dunk passing.

I don't expect Rawls to have a ton of yards but I think we run the ball more to try and force those safeties / db's up closer to the LoS in the hope that we can get Doug or Tyler behind them once or twice in this game.

Hoping our defense scores some points in this one.

I personally hope Early Thomas makes a huge come back vs the Rams from last weeks performance vs Miami!!!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawknight":2mnmbjvs said:
How well do our RB's usually do against the Rams typically? I'm just curious, do we expect the Rams to box our RB's knowing that Wilson is slightly injured. My concern is that Wilson's not going to have the accuracy or throwing strength with a bummed ankle, if that is still the case come Sunday. Unless Wilson can prove he's mobile this weekend, I expect our WR's to be almost a non-factor. I'm hoping Rawls can have a break out game against the Rams, but see this as a grind game, but the 49ers didi it last weekend. Wasn't it their run game that beat them? I didn't watch it...any thoughts?

Last year they played us for the run game for the most part. I would assume as Loosh said, them to do the same. If we use a part spread offense and bubble screens to keep them honest, we may have a better chance. Did I just say Bubble screens....am I freaking nuts?????????????????????? A few crossing patterns with TEs would keep the linebackers honest too. The long play will probably not be available as they are pretty tough up front, or they used to be for us. Just a guess.

SeaChat

Reaction score
My appreciation for Christian Michael's contribution to the Seahawks is not that short-lived I think that Rawls deserves to be back playing the number one role because that's where he was prior to his injury and that was as much as guaranteed to him provided that he worked hard in rehab and got back in the shape he was before the injury. I think it would be foolish to depend totally on Rawls, Christian is still playing strong and using both these guys, with each being sent in to run the play calls they are best at will result in more 3rd down conversions and touch downs. Rawls needs to work harder this year than he did last year, trainers will tell you injuries are almost always a result of an athlete not being in peak condition. Russell could give that some thought as well in regards to his recent ankle sprain. The fact that he was able to walk it off says a bunch for his conditioning, but the fact it got injured at all is a red light in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts