Ray Rice suspended for 2 games

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":jyra34y5 said:
Marvin49":jyra34y5 said:
Sigh. I give up.

Peeps here just want to see Aldon and the Niners burn. Doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense.

He missed 5 games. Nope...that doesn't count...he must miss more because...um...well...because we want him to miss more.

Sigh.
Of course we just want to see Aldon and the Niners burn. Just like 49ers fans want to see us burn and were giddy when we had that string of PED violations. I don't blame you guys for feeling that way, it simply makes sense.

I really don't see how you can think that was a completely altruistic move on Aldon Smith's part, though. Perhaps it's a bit rash of me to say it should count for NOTHING, but it should not count at "full value", for instance. Perhaps those five should count for two, or three.

If you think trying to mitigate future punishment wasn't a large part of why Aldon went to rehab, you are simply being naive, Marvin. You're not naive, are you?

Well of course it was.

...but that doesn't mean that it isn't valid time to consider. The 49ers didn't have to send him to rehab. They could have simply waited for the league to take action. They didn't. The sent him when it was inconvenient to do so (down 2 games I their division and about to play a team that swept them the season prior).

Did they hope this would lessen a future suspension? Well of course they did. That doesn't mean it shouldn't factor greatly into future punishment.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ManBunts":mk9i9prc said:
Marvin49":mk9i9prc said:
RolandDeschain":mk9i9prc said:
Marvin49":mk9i9prc said:
OK...then why SHOULDN'T the 5 games count toward the suspension?
If I steal a million dollars from Bank of America, get caught, then just hand the money back, I shouldn't be convicted of anything. Right?

You want to know why it shouldn't count? It's a false gesture of a move, if he cared about not being an alcoholic in the first place this never would have happened.

Sigh. I give up.

Peeps here just want to see Aldon and the Niners burn. Doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense.

He missed 5 games. Nope...that doesn't count...he must miss more because...um...well...because we want him to miss more.

Sigh.

Nonsense. Let's put Fandom aside and talk about football. The integrity of the game. We hold these athletes up as idols, people to be respected, characters our youth should aspire to. I would love nothing more than to see the Niners be healthy and strong because I WANT that competition. Believe it or not the only person on that team I hold a severe dislike for is Harbaugh. I can't stand the man screaming on the sidelines, and then all his hypocritical "holier than thou" talk whenever the Seahawks get hit with an infraction. This isn't about sadistic homerism, it's about a total lack of accountability and continuity in the league's punishments. It's about young guys getting beat down for drugs, but not for literally beating down people.

If Smith needs help, then give it to him. I'm not against that at all. We give these guys enough money and popularity to be gods, so what do we expect? But what is his motivation to change without showing him what he hath been given, can be taken away? I don't know what he did during rehab. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say he did quality time. But guess what, it didn't work. Because no sooner is the season over, than he's using the word bomb at the airport, while allegedly drunk. So you tell me how well his voluntary rehab worked.

Oh, and about those 5 games he missed, don't quote me 2012 stats in 2014. It just seems ignorant of everything that had occurred up to that point in 2013. The Rams defense was a monster, yes, but their offense was impotent. The Texans were in a full fledged spiral. The Cardinals I'll give you were a strong team. The Titans were about as average as an NFL team can get. Jags, ha. Then he's back JUST in time for a stretch including the Panthers, Saints, Skins, Rams and Seahawks? Nope, sorry, getting one of the top defensive players back in time for that is a bit too convenient for me

oi....I guess you just can't stop the conspiracy theorists.

I guess it just makes sense that they'd send away their best pass rusher just before playing the team that swept them the year prior, a team that was great the year prior and had very nearly beaten the Seahawks, another division rival and two bad teams...all when they are ALREADY 2 games back in their division after 3 weeks.

Teams don't think that way. EVERY game is a big game. This is the NFL.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't forget the NFLPA's culpability in this. They are allowing Goodell to administer this under the previous CBA just so that they can avoid HGH testing.

I don't agree with the suspensions for pot, but it's part of a bigger picture, drug abuse. Drugs and Alcohol are the biggest contributors to domestic violence that there is. Drunken Driving is out of control, and maiming and killing people right and left. As is distracted driving.

But the drug suspensions and length are effected by the CBA.

Back to the NFLPA, according to Clayton on Brock and Salk the NFLPA said they would fight anything longer than a 2 game suspension. So don't take the easy route and point the finger at the most visible person. This decision is influenced by a lot of people and in some instances, Roger Goodell has no recourse.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":2t4t1z6y said:
Don't forget the NFLPA's culpability in this. They are allowing Goodell to administer this under the previous CBA just so that they can avoid HGH testing.

I don't agree with the suspensions for pot, but it's part of a bigger picture, drug abuse. Drugs and Alcohol are the biggest contributors to domestic violence that there is. Drunken Driving is out of control, and maiming and killing people right and left. As is distracted driving.

Back to the NFLPA, according to Clayton on Brock and Salk the NFLPA said they would fight anything longer than a 2 game suspension. So don't take the easy route and point the finger at the most visible person. This decision is influenced by a lot of people and in some instances, Roger Goodell has no recourse.

Other than say, ACTUAL domestic violence....like punching your GF in an elevator so hard you knock her out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hl2rlol said:
ivotuk":2hl2rlol said:

Other than say, ACTUAL domestic violence....like punching your GF in an elevator so hard you knock her out.

So are you saying he was sober?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Marvin49":x8nsyxig said:
ivotuk":x8nsyxig said:

Marvin49

Reaction score
ivotuk":sgsqku60 said:
Marvin49":sgsqku60 said:
ivotuk":sgsqku60 said:

LOL.

Nah..wasn't arguing with you...just sayin' I think its funny that it would appear people are getting stiffer penalties from the NFL for the thing that you are saying causes domestic abuse than for the people who actually commit domestic abuse.

IE, kinda backwards.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2gbkcpm2 said:
Spousal abuse has been statistically proven to spike on game days in the hours after games.

Ol' Roger knows his market, by golly.
Link? As far as I know, that's a myth that keeps getting sprouted around. Super Bowl Sunday sees an increase but not any more of one than other holidays with similar alcohol sales volumes have.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5em1pwys said:
Scottemojo":5em1pwys said:
Spousal abuse has been statistically proven to spike on game days in the hours after games.

Link? As far as I know, that's a myth that keeps getting sprouted around. Super Bowl Sunday sees an increase but not any more of one than other holidays with similar alcohol sales volumes have.
Years ago I read a Slate story about how there is an uptick in domestic abuse calls after point spread upsets. So no, not after every game, just after surprise losses.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Marvin49":a8dm18se said:
ivotuk":a8dm18se said:
Marvin49":a8dm18se said:
ivotuk":a8dm18se said:

LOL.

Nah..wasn't arguing with you...just sayin' I think its funny that it would appear people are getting stiffer penalties from the NFL for the thing that you are saying causes domestic abuse than for the people who actually commit domestic abuse.

IE, kinda backwards.

Yea maybe I was unclear. And the penalties do seem off, but what I was saying is that alcohol and drug abuse are huge domestic problems so giving stiff penalties for that is okay in my book. It's just unfortunate that they have to include marijuana in with the real problem drugs.

So because one person gets a year long suspension for smoking pot, it's not just for smoking pot, it's for repeated drug abuse.

And we don't know that Josh Gordon was suspended ENTIRELY for pot, that's just a convenient story line. He could have been shooting heroin for all we know but he's not going to tell anyone and the NFL can't tell anyone.

As far as Ray Rice, I think he should have gotten 8 games, but Goodell doesn't have the power to do that. He did damn good imaho to get Rapistberger to agree to a suspension because the NFLPA could have fought that one.

Long story short, it's a lot more complicated than "Punch Wife = 2 games while smoke a little weed = 1 year."

Cartire

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ka5ue5ul said:

I also have to provide a link to perhaps the best PFT article ever written.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ile-theyre-hot-buy-your-ladies-ray-rice-gear/

I hate to be that guy. But PFT has been pissing me off so much (maybe just the smugness of Florio), that I have to correct this.

http://deadspin.com/ladies-buy-your-pin ... 1610165687

Deadspin wrote the same thing 1 hour before hand (and you can be sure PFT follows deadspin). I found it a bit contrived to basically copy the same article that was already pointing out the ironic without even mentioning them. But they do it all the time.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Scottemojo":14gkb45y said:

I also have to provide a link to perhaps the best PFT article ever written.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ile-theyre-hot-buy-your-ladies-ray-rice-gear/

That was too clever. So clever, that I checked to see if Florio wrote it...of course not.

Ray Rice punched a woman in the face and dragged her out of the elevator by her hair. He should be gone for at least half the season. I'd be fine with him being gone the whole season. Man, I hate Goodell.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":2b18cena said:

I think they should count towards the suspension he would get for the DUI, it is the other 3 convictions I think he should be suspended for. Even that doesn't really bother me though, I don't think it should even be illegal, but it is.

This is what gets me though, dudes get tested for Substance abuse and suspended. Smith, Lockette, Patton and KaeperSpaz all were associated with the cheeb, Smith had it in the car, Lockette and KaeperSpaz had it in the hotel room, yet no one is taking/failing any tests that we know of.

Dude that hits his woman should be DONE, until he can prove that he addressed his problem. The guy did it on video, that is some jacked up stuff. Now Rice went through some kind of program, but players are getting NAILED for smoking pot like it is a serious crime.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":19zvjwkq said:
Because it was not league mandated. Pretty simple really. When I was kid, I dont think I could get away with saying "No dad, you dont need to spank me, I already handle that myself"

Did he even lose money?

This question never got answered and I bring it up again because I am genuinely curious. Did Aldon Smith forfeit his game checks for the five games he spent in rehab last year?

ManBunts

Reaction score
Nonsense. Let's put Fandom aside and talk about football. The integrity of the game. We hold these athletes up as idols, people to be respected, characters our youth should aspire to. I would love nothing more than to see the Niners be healthy and strong because I WANT that competition. Believe it or not the only person on that team I hold a severe dislike for is Harbaugh. I can't stand the man screaming on the sidelines, and then all his hypocritical "holier than thou" talk whenever the Seahawks get hit with an infraction. This isn't about sadistic homerism, it's about a total lack of accountability and continuity in the league's punishments. It's about young guys getting beat down for drugs, but not for literally beating down people.

If Smith needs help, then give it to him. I'm not against that at all. We give these guys enough money and popularity to be gods, so what do we expect? But what is his motivation to change without showing him what he hath been given, can be taken away? I don't know what he did during rehab. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say he did quality time. But guess what, it didn't work. Because no sooner is the season over, than he's using the word bomb at the airport, while allegedly drunk. So you tell me how well his voluntary rehab worked.

Oh, and about those 5 games he missed, don't quote me 2012 stats in 2014. It just seems ignorant of everything that had occurred up to that point in 2013. The Rams defense was a monster, yes, but their offense was impotent. The Texans were in a full fledged spiral. The Cardinals I'll give you were a strong team. The Titans were about as average as an NFL team can get. Jags, ha. Then he's back JUST in time for a stretch including the Panthers, Saints, Skins, Rams and Seahawks? Nope, sorry, getting one of the top defensive players back in time for that is a bit too convenient for me[/quote]

oi....I guess you just can't stop the conspiracy theorists.

I guess it just makes sense that they'd send away their best pass rusher just before playing the team that swept them the year prior, a team that was great the year prior and had very nearly beaten the Seahawks, another division rival and two bad teams...all when they are ALREADY 2 games back in their division after 3 weeks.

Teams don't think that way. EVERY game is a big game. This is the NFL.[/quote]

Gah, you're killing me Marvin. Clean the homer out of your brain and think. Conspiracy? Try strategy. Look at it this way, if you know your star defensive player (one of them at least), just got nailed for a major infraction that has previously seen players get 4-6 game suspensions, what do you do:
A) Wait around for the NFL to run its course, not knowing if the sentence will drop immediately, or 4-5 weeks down the road when you're in the playoff hunt
or
B) Work out a voluntary leave of absence when you know you have a streak of games coming up against offensively weak teams and can afford to have that link missing in your defense. Thus mitigating the NFL punishment and painting the picture of a troubled young man seeking help, immediately helping his image.

It's not conspiracy, it's rationality. It's common sense. If you can dictate the premise of the punishment for minimal impact of that player's loss, why wouldn't you? I'm amazed you don't get this. Why else would a player take a voluntary stint in rehab? As you yourself said, every game matters, so why would he miss a game voluntarily?

And the Rams were not great in 2012. They were 7-8-1. Not even .500. Even Rams fans will tell you that. Stop being so dramatic.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":138v4e1z said:
Cartire":138v4e1z said:
Because it was not league mandated. Pretty simple really. When I was kid, I dont think I could get away with saying "No dad, you dont need to spank me, I already handle that myself"

Did he even lose money?

This question never got answered and I bring it up again because I am genuinely curious. Did Aldon Smith forfeit his game checks for the five games he spent in rehab last year?

I can't find anything saying he did or didn't. But if he did it voluntarily, I'm guessing he still collected. It's one thing to miss games, it's another to miss a paycheck

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2r7qddp9 said:
Marvin49":2r7qddp9 said:

I think they should count towards the suspension he would get for the DUI, it is the other 3 convictions I think he should be suspended for. Even that doesn't really bother me though, I don't think it should even be illegal, but it is.

This is what gets me though, dudes get tested for Substance abuse and suspended. Smith, Lockette, Patton and KaeperSpaz all were associated with the cheeb, Smith had it in the car, Lockette and KaeperSpaz had it in the hotel room, yet no one is taking/failing any tests that we know of.

Dude that hits his woman should be DONE, until he can prove that he addressed his problem. The guy did it on video, that is some jacked up stuff. Now Rice went through some kind of program, but players are getting NAILED for smoking pot like it is a serious crime.

RE: Weed. As far as I know, the weed in Aldons car was a false report. Supposedly the Police said that there was no weed found. He was also never charged for possession. As for Kap, the only person claiming it was there is a woman who stalked Kap, freaked out when he had other women in the house (even though he didn't invite her there), ran into the bedroom, stripped naked, and started yelling about angels and demons. She then told the police she didn't know how she got to the hospital and that Kap took her clothes off. To say her credibility is stretched is an understatement.

RE: Hitting a woman. Agreed. In my book, that's all she wrote. That's why I continue to have an issue with Parrish Cox and why I was pretty upset when the first reports came out about the incident with Kap.