Ray Roberts interview on the OL, Cable, Bevell, and Ifedi

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Pete, John as much as anyone but to be honest its frustrating that no one in the building said anything or saw this as well. How much time was wasted and how much has it stunted Wilson's growth? I think Wilson is going to be fine and an all time great but as a fan its frustrating. Someone above nailed it, Pete put too much trust in someone who was an "expert" and it cost him. Would love to hear his thoughts on this interview too.

captSE

Reaction score
I now have great respect for Ray Roberts - I had no idea. I sure hope the next offensive hires are his calibur.

Hire Ray for oline coach!!

hawk45

Reaction score
I improved more as a lineman after listening to ray for 5 minutes than any player cable coached here.

(Well at tackle certainly)

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Pretty brutal.

The part about Duane Brown, ugh. Not only holding young players back, but actually making talented vets worse. Simply amazing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I sort of wonder if some of Brown's problems were injury related as well as playing next to someone who wasn't very good. He was still a very good left tackle this year and I expect next year he will be even better.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There's something to this, right? Because Ray knows what he's talking about.

I hope Carroll and Schneider hear this. Man, so much.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
austinslater25":1ooapeb8 said:
I love Pete, John as much as anyone but to be honest its frustrating that no one in the building said anything or saw this as well. How much time was wasted and how much has it stunted Wilson's growth? I think Wilson is going to be fine and an all time great but as a fan its frustrating. Someone above nailed it, Pete put too much trust in someone who was an "expert" and it cost him. Would love to hear his thoughts on this interview too.
You summed up my frustration for the last 3 years with the OC and the O-line coach. Nice post! :2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fantastic listen.
As far as I'm concerned, Darryl Bevell, Russell Wilson, Germaine Ifedi, Duane Brown, or for that matter, the WHOLE DAMNED O-Line for the last SIX YEARS was as much a victim of Cable's failing leadership....He was the BAD BOSS with the final say on Offense.
His "Guru" status grew from the accomplishments of the Wilson & Lynch combo.
The O-Line wasn't Coached up by Cable, to help any other RB that followed.
I agree that the players need to make plays alright, but they need to be COACHED UP to make "Plays" WORK.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":dnu2iv7u said:
Fantastic listen.
As far as I'm concerned, Darryl Bevell, Russell Wilson, Germaine Ifedi, Duane Brown, or for that matter, the WHOLE DAMNED O-Line for the last SIX YEARS was as much a victim of Cable's failing leadership....He was the BAD BOSS with the final say on Offense.
I agree that the players need to make plays alright, but they need to be COACHED UP to make "Plays" WORK.

Not entirely true, Cable had last word on the run game, not the passing game.

Which IMO was part of the problem, Pete allowed a dysfunctional co-offensive coordinator dynamic to exist with Bevell and Cable both installing game planes, schemes and scripted playcalling.

Hard to be successful with the offense being pulled in two different directions by two coaches with differing opinions on how to install game plans and call plays. Probably why we were throwing the gameplans out the window after the first two series EVERY game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Can big Walt come in and analyze the line ala Roberts?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Awesome share, thanks for posting mistaowen.

I agree with much of the sentiment that Brown got progressively worse as his time here moved forward but it was just so coincidental and hard to believe that Cable was that bad that he could affect a Pro Bowl LT like that. Was thinking is was more to do with his injury but then it just really became obvious that this was a scheme problem.

The part of the interview that I found the most telling was this.

mistaowen":txeswoom said:
How the Seahawks run their ZBS is a problem because once they take a step to the right and Russell puts the ball out, it's gonna be a run. The linebackers and defenders know exactly where it's going and they come right downhill and defend it. When you look at some of the stuff Kansas City was doing, having motions in the backfield and they run the zone with it. So they have more things for defenders to look at and read.

On the GD forum, it seemed, every week I would be utterly frustrated on how the defense just knew every time when we were going to run the ball. Couldn't quit put my finger on how this was, thought maybe obvious formations because we would throw the ball a majority of the time during games and then sneak a run in and the defense was on it immediately. I mean all the LBs were running full speed in the direction of the run every time. The few times we would get 5+ yards on a carry the RB would have to dodge defenders like he was avoiding bullets in the matrix.

Ray seems very well spoken and would be all for him bringing his toolbox to the Seahawks as the next OLC.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3o8hyc88 said:
scutterhawk":3o8hyc88 said:
Fantastic listen.

Not entirely true, Cable had last word on the run game, not the passing game.

Which IMO was part of the problem, Pete allowed a dysfunctional co-offensive coordinator dynamic to exist with Bevell and Cable both installing game planes, schemes and scripted playcalling.

Hard to be successful with the offense being pulled in two different directions by two coaches with differing opinions on how to install game plans and call plays. Probably why we were throwing the gameplans out the window after the first two series EVERY game.

NO, gotdammit, CABLE was the O-Line Coach, it was up to CABLE to train/Teach/Coach the O-Line on how to Pass/Run Block, it was NOT Bevell's job to fix the screwed up O-Line, it was his job to draw up plays ....Did you see the Pic's of our WHOLE O-LINE laying on the ground, and the Defense closing in on Russell Wilson.
Did you see Doug Baldwin shoving at Cable to shush him up while Russell Wilson was TRYING to address the O-Line?
Blocking for the Run & Passing was ALL on Cable.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I've got a question about the run game predictability issue. Roberts mentioned KC using motion to keep defenses on their toes. ATL used it very well last year under Shanny and the Niners used it to best the #1 Jags D this year.

Is not incorporating that a Bev thing or a Cable thing? I guess it doesn't matter now but I'm curious. I always wanted us to use more motion and creativity before the snap but we rarely did. The fact that it's not clear whose responsibility that was is worrisome in of itself.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I heard this interview in my truck on my way home from work yesterday. Amazing interview. Ray is so well versed when it comes to football talk. He's great. Right when I was thinking "man, he sure sounds like he should be the Hawks O-line coach", Bob mentioned all the texts coming in about that same thought, haha.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
He makes a lot of great points and one that really sticks out is that Cable/offense apologists will say is ‘well, look at what he’s working with’ is more an indictment of his poor scouting philosophy. He’s right, either Cable is a poor scout or does a poor job of developing the line, or both. (Its both)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Can we at least consider this guy as Cable's replacement?
Also, this analysis makes me even more excited after reading elsewhere that Cable might be in the running for the Cowboys job. If he could screw up Brown in just a few weeks, imagine what he would do to that Cowboys Oline. We get stronger and the Cowboys get weaker....win, win!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I believed whoever is hired to be the OC will decide who the OL coach will be.

Whoever they decide on at OC, it might be after the SuperBowl. My guess.