Ray Roberts interview on the OL, Cable, Bevell, and Ifedi

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":e2c3gnv4 said:
austinslater25":e2c3gnv4 said:
I love Pete, John as much as anyone but to be honest its frustrating that no one in the building said anything or saw this as well. How much time was wasted and how much has it stunted Wilson's growth? I think Wilson is going to be fine and an all time great but as a fan its frustrating. Someone above nailed it, Pete put too much trust in someone who was an "expert" and it cost him. Would love to hear his thoughts on this interview too.
You summed up my frustration for the last 3 years with the OC and the O-line coach. Nice post! :2thumbs:

I'm good for a nice post every couple of years!

cymatica

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1pcufhrg said:
austinslater25":1pcufhrg said:
I love Pete, John as much as anyone but to be honest its frustrating that no one in the building said anything or saw this as well. How much time was wasted and how much has it stunted Wilson's growth? I think Wilson is going to be fine and an all time great but as a fan its frustrating. Someone above nailed it, Pete put too much trust in someone who was an "expert" and it cost him. Would love to hear his thoughts on this interview too.
You summed up my frustration for the last 3 years with the OC and the O-line coach. Nice post! :2thumbs:

Coaches always know better than fans :mrgreen:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
austinslater25":w1okgi32 said:
I sort of wonder if some of Brown's problems were injury related as well as playing next to someone who wasn't very good. He was still a very good left tackle this year and I expect next year he will be even better.

I think Brown's issues this past year were a combo of Cable+injury ( soon after joining Hawks )+ adjusting to a QB who left the pocket as much as Russell does. I won't even try to assign percentages to any of those but they all had something to do with it. Remember Brown only played one game with Watson behind center against Seattle and it was his first game back this season. You could see a few plays each game where he forced his guy wide and deep to the point where his internal clock told him to disengage to not get a holding call only to see Russell spin to his side. It looked like he was expecting Russell to step up and instead he spun into the rusher.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This gives me hope, but also pisses me off. How many great teams did we waste because of Cable?

chris98251

Reaction score
Well many of us had been wondering if there were tells tipping off the defense, now we know. I remember the MLB had the number on a Mariners pitcher for a few years and knew when he was going to throw a certain pitch and were able to abuse it for a few years before a trade brought a player to Seattle that finally told them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3fne1pz3 said:
Well many of us had been wondering if there were tells tipping off the defense, now we know. I remember the MLB had the number on a Mariners pitcher for a few years and knew when he was going to throw a certain pitch and were able to abuse it for a few years before a trade brought a player to Seattle that finally told them.
Thats happened a few times, but I remember the incident you were talking about, don’t remember the pitcher though.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":gqmvqycw said:
joeseahawks":gqmvqycw said:
I watched Duane his first game with the Hawks, he was great.
Then the next games, he looked more and more like the other guys and I started wondering as well.
Seriously, who nick-named Cable "a Guru"?

I think his last great game was against the Jags. He was locking down their pass rushers all game. After that, there was a discernable drop-off. It was so confusing and frustrating to watch.
I am certain this was the trigger point for change. Had they not gotten Brown, change may not have come. His decline was too rapid and obvious to be anything other than coaching/schemes.