RB competition

JPRoland

Reaction score
Top speed isn't everything and you don't need a guy take it to the house everytime he touches it. The great thing about Collins in college was he always got you what you needed and usually more. Alex runs with a unique style and vision that is going to be exciting. He may end up being the most prolific back on this team. You might not see 80 yard tuchdown runs from Alex but you may see several 30 yard ones. He is a true grinder and yes, I am a fan!

Tical21

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't need a special 3rd down back to be successful, but they have clearly identified it as an area where they have an opportunity to make more plays. With our line breakdowns, it would be awesome to have a safety valve that could make a guy miss and get loose. Prosise is going to get in there, a hammy isn't a career ender.

Are ANY OF these guys practice squad safe?

I am a C-Mix guy, but he didn't do anything last year that told me he is ready to be a major contributor. He looked very average, which was an upgrade for him, but not what you want if you have designs on being an elite rushing offense.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
austinslater25":2iylbmmd said:
Surprised some people in here are so low on Prosise. The staff absolutely loves him and can't wait to make him a part of the offense. His role is possibly the most secure of the bunch honestly if he gets his soft tissue issue taken care of. Rawls will be the bell cow, Prosise will command the second most touches and Michael stays ahead of Collins. I do think they limit Rawls a little more then they have in the past with their lead runner but its not a huge difference. I think once Prosise gets on the field he is going to surprise some people.

Great write up from the OP, Kearly and others as well.

I love Prosise. But right now it's pure hype.

He hasn't practiced in camp. He wasn't put on PUP to start so he was good to go. Almost 2 weeks into camp and he still hasn't participated.

That's a huge concern. His talent alone isn't going to earn him a spot...he needs to get on the field.

They are kind of stuck. They can't try to stash him on the PS because he will never make it through waivers. They have to eat a precious roster spot waiting for his hamstring or they have to IR him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
At this point, I would keep him on the active roster until the cut to 53, then immediately stash either him or Rawls on IR to free up space for a roster cut from another team (non-running back).

We could bring Prosise/ Rawls back anytime after week eight if we are hurting for a running back midway to late through the season.

-bsd

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bigskydoc":j930ngwn said:
At this point, I would keep him on the active roster until the cut to 53, then immediately stash either him or Rawls on IR to free up space for a roster cut from another team (non-running back).

We could bring Prosise/ Rawls back anytime after week eight if we are hurting for a running back midway to late through the season.

-bsd

They might do that with Prosise but no way with Rawls.

Ozzy

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3o0dvv3e said:
austinslater25":3o0dvv3e said:
Surprised some people in here are so low on Prosise. The staff absolutely loves him and can't wait to make him a part of the offense. His role is possibly the most secure of the bunch honestly if he gets his soft tissue issue taken care of. Rawls will be the bell cow, Prosise will command the second most touches and Michael stays ahead of Collins. I do think they limit Rawls a little more then they have in the past with their lead runner but its not a huge difference. I think once Prosise gets on the field he is going to surprise some people.

Great write up from the OP, Kearly and others as well.

I love Prosise. But right now it's pure hype.

He hasn't practiced in camp. He wasn't put on PUP to start so he was good to go. Almost 2 weeks into camp and he still hasn't participated.

That's a huge concern. His talent alone isn't going to earn him a spot...he needs to get on the field.

They are kind of stuck. They can't try to stash him on the PS because he will never make it through waivers. They have to eat a precious roster spot waiting for his hamstring or they have to IR him.

I think he comes back early next week and we won't have to worry about the process of what to do with him. He might not play until the third preseason game against Dallas but I'm ok with that. I do agree though he has to get on the field at some point soon or I will definitely begin to worry.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Obviously, if Rawls is full strength or very close to it, you don't IR him. However, if he is going to need additional recovery time...

I think you may as well stash one or the other on IR so you have an extra healthy and rested back available mid-season to late-season if somebody else goes down. I just don't see anyway we carry both plus C Mike and Collins, and I see no reason to cut any of them.

Tical21

Reaction score
You'd like to be able to save your IR with designation to return slot for flexibility with your stars. If Prosise hits IR, he isn't coming back this season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2zpp1cqp said:

That's a concern ill save for the 53 man cutdown. Since we're still at 90 i'm not going to let it bother me.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that AC can't be a good 3rd down blocking back. Beliema's strength, imho, is teaching blocking to his linemen, and I can't see why he wouldn't teach his "non-starting" back(s) to block also.

And IIRC, didn't Collins catch a long TD the other day? It's in practice for sure, but still, that bodes well. Maybe I'm being over positive about this, but I don't think that a lack of 3rd down catching and blocking at Arkansas doesn't translate in to an inability to do. Rather it just focuses on the fact that the Razorbacks play a different game than other teams.

IIRC it was Melvin Gordon that opted to play his final year at Wisconsin so that he could "improve his blocking and catching." What's that say about how the RBs were coached on that team?

ACFan

Reaction score
ivotuk":34otdnnr said:
I'm not so sure that AC can't be a good 3rd down blocking back. Beliema's strength, imho, is teaching blocking to his linemen, and I can't see why he wouldn't teach his "non-starting" back(s) to block also.

And IIRC, didn't Collins catch a long TD the other day?

yep 50 yarder from Boykin, lost the LBs, got open and hauled it in for 6.

one of his 16 receptions at Arkansas was a 50 yarder down the sideline. I don't recall
Collins ever dropping a pass while at Arkansas.

excellent hands, excellent route runner, excellent pass blocker. a quick footed, choppy step guy with a lot of power and vision should be an excellent pass protector, and he is.

I like the sound of every down back so much better than 3rd down back. I hope Collins could fill either role.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Tical21":2pzw41vp said:
You'd like to be able to save your IR with designation to return slot for flexibility with your stars. If Prosise hits IR, he isn't coming back this season.

There is no more IR with designation to return slot. A team is still only allowed to return one player from IR to the active roster per year, but it can be any player from IR. Teams no longer have to designate which player in advance.

NFL passes Bills' proposed change to injured-reserve rules

This gives significantly more flexibility to stash a guy on IR, especially when you are particularly stacked at a injury prone position.

Under the old system, I agree that you would never spend your "designated to return" slot on a guy like Prosise. Under the new system, I think the idea has merit. Stash him until later in the year and make the decision whether to return him at that point. Obviously if Russ/Bobby/Richard/Earl etc are placed on IR, you want them coming back over Prosise, but thankfully you no longer have to make that decision in advance.

Fade

Reaction score
@kearly

The only way Brooks can make the roster is if he balls out, and they put Prosise on IR. They won't carry 5 runningbacks, I'm sure they will be debating whether they even carry a fullback, and instead carry an extra TE.

1 Rawls
2 Michael
3 Collins
4 Prosise
-------------------- 53 Man cutoff line
5 FB???
6 Brooks

So early in the season they decide to carry Prosise on the 53, but he is not ready to play due to lack of reps. Rawls is the starter, but not fully recovered, so he will share carries with C-Mike. Leaving Collins who can carve out a nice role as a 3rd down back early in the season.(Similarly to Turbin who was a bigger 3rd down back.) Collins isn't the permanent solution, but for the early part of the season it is looking like it's playing out this way.

Collins lack of catches in college doesn't bother me because in his limited opportunities, he looked natural doing it.

Turbin in pads was/is slower than Alex Collins in pads. Collins has excellent burst, and light feet. Turbin played like he had cement galoshes on his feet.

All of this is moot of course if Prosise can get on the field, and earn the role that has been earmarked for him from the beginning.

Fade

Reaction score
@BSD

The Hawks won't burn there designated to return on a rookie who will have gotten barely any/if any reps. If he is IR'd he won't be seen until next year. Regardless of the updated rule change. They don't even know if Prosise can be assignment correct, let alone contribute. He is way behind.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fade":2fv13228 said:
@BSD

The Hawks won't burn there designated to return...

Once again, there is no such thing as "designated to return" any longer. Every player on IR is designated to return now, but a team may only return one per season.

Fade":2fv13228 said:
If he is IR'd he won't be seen until next year. Regardless of the updated rule change. They don't even know if Prosise can be assignment correct, let alone contribute. He is way behind.

Not necessarily. If, in week 14, Prosise is still on IR, no stars are on IR, and one of the active backs suffers a season ender, Prosise will almost certainly be activated, if nothing else just so he can start practicing and show us if he is worth keeping for next year.

Between weeks 6 and 14, it will be a judgement call with the likelihood of him being activated going up each week.

That is the beauty of the new system. You can choose who to activate based on your needs as the end of the season approaches. Smart teams will keep a few cheap, versatile players on IR throughout the season and activate whichever is needed to fill injury holes.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Another scenario where he might come off IR is if the season is in the toilet and we drop out of the playoff hunt early on. He could then be activated to give him experience and a trial run going into next year.

Unlikely that we would find ourselves in that situation, but this is just one of the intriguing possibilities opened up under the new IR rule.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":skj484y0 said:

Thanks for finding that, I can get lazy.

Hell of a chip block eh? Thing about blocking is you need technique, but you also really need "want to". You have to want to put that guy on his can, or he's going to want to get through your block more. I've seen Michael blow up LBers coming up the middle that way as well.

If his attitude has changed, he could be our #1 RB. Athletically, he's just that good.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":34dmbb4l said:
vin.couve12":34dmbb4l said:

Thanks for finding that, I can get lazy.

Hell of a chip block eh? Thing about blocking is you need technique, but you also really need "want to". You have to want to put that guy on his can, or he's going to want to get through your block more. I've seen Michael blow up LBers coming up the middle that way as well.

If his attitude has changed, he could be our #1 RB. Athletically, he's just that good.

You'll get no argument from me. He's one of the most explosive players on the team, let alone at the position. His SPARQ score was a lot higher than AP and even just a little higher than LT.

Latest posts