OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3dniawkm said:
ludakrishna":3dniawkm said:
If this costs us Bobby I'll be pissed.
I rather doubt that will happen. JS isn't that kind of dummy.

Like Kid said, salary cap will go up. Better to lock up key players now before inflation catches up.

We still have a full year under contract for Wagner. Plenty of time to get him locked up.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1klsq1zy said:
Anglo-Hawk":1klsq1zy said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
The #Seahawks announced a 4-year contract extension for emerging LB KJ Wright. I’m told it’s for $27M. Keeps him off the market.

Wow!! That seems high.

Only worry about the guaranteed money and how it's staggered.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-Sign-KJ-Wright-to-Extension/6802c6ae-8a6d-404a-b3ac-e82d56c1ff0f[/urltargetblank]

The Seattle Seahawks have signed linebacker K.J. Wright to a four-year extension, the team announced this afternoon.

"In the offseason, we identified K.J. as one of our core players moving forward and aimed to keep him as a part of the Seahawks family for a long time," said Executive Vice President & General Manager John Schneider. "The timing of this signing gives us the ability to keep as many of our core players together as we possibly can. Since Day One, K.J. has been a true professional in his daily approach and we are excited for K.J., his family and the 12s to keep him in the organization."

Wright was the team's fourth-round draft choice (99th overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. He has started 54 of 58 games played and recorded 333 tackles (224 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, 14 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in his career. In the postseason, he has started three of four games played, with 24 tackles (13 solo) and two passes defensed.

"K.J. is the epitome of a team guy," said Head Coach Pete Carroll. "We are excited to reward a player of his caliber for all the hard work he has put in over the years to become an important piece of our defense."

This season, Wright has started all 14 games and tallied a career-high tying 96 tackles (66 solo) and career-high tying 2.0 sacks.

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, obviously they're the experts, not me. But, he seemed to be the easiest and cheapest to replace. He's is little to negative impact without Wagner. He was ABYSMAL in the KC game...putrid...awful...find a thesaurus for more adjectives for "bad".

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":16p3gz44 said:
Recon_Hawk":16p3gz44 said:
Anglo-Hawk":16p3gz44 said:
The #Seahawks announced a 4-year contract extension for emerging LB KJ Wright. I’m told it’s for $27M. Keeps him off the market.

Wow!! That seems high.

Only worry about the guaranteed money and how it's staggered.

Exactly

cdallan

Reaction score
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

MysterMatt

Reaction score
tifferradish":1h9o0id0 said:
I have a feeling this is a sign we won't be re-signing Okung
He could be the odd man out, but, then again, maybe he'll take one of those 1-2 year "prove it" deals, given his fragile health and pre-snap issues. When healthy, he's pretty good, but I think a lot of teams will be hesitant to offer him a standard LT mega-deal.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 34s35 seconds ago
For those asking, team cannot extend Wagner until after the season. But that will be a priority.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":a2uffxlg said:
Well, obviously they're the experts, not me. But, he seemed to be the easiest and cheapest to replace. He's is little to negative impact without Wagner. He was ABYSMAL in the KC game...putrid...awful...find a thesaurus for more adjectives for "bad".

And he played lights out last year against the Saints and shut down Jimmy Graham in coverage. No one game defines a player.

pehawk

Reaction score
cdallan":1ik84p04 said:
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

Maybe this is more about rewarding their "guys" over pragmatism.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
ludakrishna":p9ylqujn said:
If this costs us Bobby I'll be pissed.

There's no way they let Wagner go. He'll be extended along with Wilson this offseason. That's my guess.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
This is awesome. 6-7 million a year. Some thought it would be 8-9 million a year. I think this makes us be able to keep bobby wagner

Hawks46

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":8xgm9wb1 said:
Anglo-Hawk":8xgm9wb1 said:

Wow!! That seems high.

I thought the same thing. 6 mil/year seems high for him. So now I'm wondering how much Bobby will cost. And Irvin after him (although he should be in same range as Wright).

Maybe it seems high for past cap situations, but witth the cap going up, maybe it's slightly above league average for a good OLB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is absolutely a reward guys who do it the right way thing. Calling him one of their "core" guys.

Still feels steep to me.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
wow surprised by the negative nancys in here. KJ is a special talent. He is a OLB but is versatile enough that he can play milddle when wags got hurt. He has dominated big time TE's multiple times. He is home grown talent. And he's being rewarded.

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":35wnjyuk said:
pehawk":35wnjyuk said:

And he played lights out last year against the Saints and shut down Jimmy Graham in coverage. No one game defines a player.

Wright's only as good as the other LB's are. He's below average without Wagner, IMO.

But hey, at least my autographed KJ, game worn helmet is still relevant?

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Guys with the huge jump in the projected salary cap the next few years couldn't have come at a better time for this organization. We will be able to keep a lot of core guys on the roster.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
pehawk":16nn472v said:
cdallan":16nn472v said:

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

Maybe this is more about rewarding their "guys" over pragmatism.
How is Smith not their "guy"?

Some real negativity about something that is pretty sweet for the team. If anything KJ has been an underrated force on this defense. I was hoping for a KJ extension and was worried he would be leaving, I'm very happy about this move.

Congrats KJ!

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3tel0yip said:
wow surprised by the negative nancys in here. KJ is a special talent. He is a OLB but is versatile enough that he can play milddle when wags got hurt. He has dominated big time TE's multiple times. He is home grown talent. And he's being rewarded.

I completely agree. Wait for the guaranteed dollar amount and remember that Wagner/Wilson can't be signed till the off-season, you can stagger contracts, and the salary cap is rising.

Latest posts