Re: KJ Wright Signs 4 year extension UPDATED WITH BREAKDOWN

cdallan

Reaction score
Per overthecap.com, the raw numbers would make KJ the highest paid 4-3 OLB in the NFL. He would be getting paid more than Von Miller...

I hope that contract is being misreported.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
pehawk":xo6qk9k4 said:
Wright's only as good as the other LB's are. He's below average without Wagner, IMO.
Based off of one game? Ok

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":i2sfyyw1 said:
pehawk":i2sfyyw1 said:
cdallan":i2sfyyw1 said:
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

Maybe this is more about rewarding their "guys" over pragmatism.
How is Smith not their "guy"?

Some real negativity about something that is pretty sweet for the team. If anything KJ has been an underrated force on this defense. I was hoping for a KJ extension and was worried he would be leaving, I'm very happy about this move.

Congrats KJ!

Malcolm smith is one of there guys, but his role as really reduced since Wagner came back. They really like KPL and you can't pay everyone. Smith has a real shot at getting a good contract from someone.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not being a negative nancy, I'm discussing football. I think that's allowed here, right?

I just don't see that big of a difference between a KPL and a KJ. I mean there's a dip, for sure, but is that drop off worth spending 6-7M for? Would you rather have KPL in KJ's spot, and 2 Kevin William's, insurance types? Or, just KJ?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
cdallan":3vrybdn5 said:
Per overthecap.com, the raw numbers would make KJ the highest paid 4-3 OLB in the NFL. He would be getting paid more than Von Miller...

And so was Sherman for about a day and then 2 more CBs are making more than him.

This is why the cap is increasing, so players will be paid more. This is not an indication of KJ being the best OLB in the NFL and more about the huge cap increases teams are receiving.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
cdallan":3a3id9b9 said:

Von Miller is still on his rookie deal and will get 9.7 million next year for the 5th year option.

You're also assuming that the 27 million KJ is getting is fully guaranteed. It won't be.

kidhawk

Reaction score
cdallan":3nlwdx79 said:

Von Miller is working off a rookie contract. His pay for next year is scheduled to be over $9 million. Don't let raw numbers like $27 million tilt your view. Wait to see how it's structured and what's guaranteed as what was said earlier. You will likely be quite surprised. I'm sure he will make less next year in his base salary than Von Miller

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2wd807c2 said:
pehawk":2wd807c2 said:
Wright's only as good as the other LB's are. He's below average without Wagner, IMO.
Based off of one game? Ok

Well, that was just an example. I spelled it out better a few posts down, Sweetie.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with pehawk, while I'm happy for KJ Wright he did seem replaceable. At times this year he's looked awful and the team was terrible on that side of the ball when it was him alone without Wagner.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

That salary seems a bit high for his production, would have like to seen something like 20 million over 4 years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1m2j8ygf said:
pehawk":1m2j8ygf said:
cdallan":1m2j8ygf said:
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

Some real negativity about something that is pretty sweet for the team. If anything KJ has been an underrated force on this defense. I was hoping for a KJ extension and was worried he would be leaving, I'm very happy about this move.

Congrats KJ!
He does deserve congrats.

Do a simple exercise for me, though. Who on the defense do you think ranks ahead of Wright in importance?

For me, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Wagner, and Irvin (who is rapidly becoming a force) all rank ahead of Wright in importance. You say under rated, maybe one of those players has less impact than Wright.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Just to make it clear, the 27 Million is likely the TOTAL amount assuming he hits all incentives and escalators.

Wait for the numbers everyone.

pehawk

Reaction score
Put it this way; would you rather have KJ or KPL + Two Kevin Williamish Insurance types?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not saying this guy is going to be Kam but remember when they signed Kam for that big deal?

There were a lot of upset people that felt it would hurt the shot at keeping Earl and Sherman.

A lot of people pointed out all the problems with Kam and how he was really the least important member of the LOB.

We know that to be untrue now. Kam turned out to be VERY important.

So while I won't say because the FO was right about that one it automatically means they are right now. But it does give them a little bit of a free pass. A lot of people were upset about that Kam extension too. Seems it worked out.

As long as they keep Bobby and Wilson, they should get whatever free passes they need.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":15svqksz said:
Not saying this guy is going to be Kam but remember when they signed Kam for that big deal?

There were a lot of upset people that felt it would hurt the shot at keeping Earl and Sherman.

A lot of people pointed out all the problems with Kam and how he was really the least important member of the LOB.

So while I won't say because the FO was right about that one it automatically means they are right now. But it does give them a little bit of a free pass. A lot of people were upset about that Kam extension too. Seems it worked out.

As long as they keep Bobby and Wilson, they should get whatever free passes they need.
Very true.

cdallan

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":18kt01ek said:
cdallan":18kt01ek said:

And so was Sherman for about a day and then 2 more CBs are making more than him.

This is why the cap is increasing, so players will be paid more. This is not an indication of KJ being the best OLB in the NFL and more about the huge cap increases teams are receiving.

A higher cap doesn't mean you have more money left to pay KJ, because under a higher cap the price for Russ, Wags, Irvin, Maxwell, etc also goes up. You still have to make choices. I'm with Pe on this one - KJ is easier to replace than Wags or Irvin, or Okung for that matter. I think we have overpaid, IF the contract is anything like the raw numbers.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":17khdn16 said:
Hawkfan77":17khdn16 said:
pehawk":17khdn16 said:
cdallan":17khdn16 said:

Congrats KJ!
He does deserve congrats.

Do a simple exercise for me, though. Who on the defense do you think ranks ahead of Wright in importance?

For me, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Wagner, and Irvin (who is rapidly becoming a force) all rank ahead of Wright in importance. You say under rated, maybe one of those players has less impact than Wright.

To be fair, this front office has already given big extensions to five of those guys, and two of them we can't even negotiate with yet (Wagner and Irvin). That leaves Avril. I am intensely interested to see what the FO does with him.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Basis4day":2unj7t7f said:
Just to make it clear, the 27 Million is likely the TOTAL amount assuming he hits all incentives and escalators.

Wait for the numbers everyone.

I hope so…

TwistedHusky":2unj7t7f said:

Also a solid point, I was not all on board with Kam when he was signed. It was like the front office knew before I did, which is good seeing as they work in that field.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Some random Joe on the interwebs told me that KJ sucks.

KJ's position coaches, coordinators, head coach and GM graded him out and determined that this deal was great for the team.

Who should I listen to? Hmmmm. The rando armchair GM who doesn't have the first clue how the team plays him, grades him and plans to use him in the future? Or the Superbowl winning coach and front office who have done nothing but win and find gems everywhere?

Boy, that's sure tough.