Really? Funny draft team need

mikeak

Reaction score
I think you guys are misunderstanding the OP. We are not used to the media getting the Seahawks right or us agreeing the media.

I am assuming that the OP is simply perplexed and finds it funny that now the media gets it right :D

sc85sis

Reaction score
We need a young faster version of Mike Williams at WR. Our current receivers are not the pedestrian appetizers Cris Carter claimed, but a taller guy with good speed helps create additional mismatches in the field and can be a useful red zone target.

TJH

Reaction score
We do not have a real #1, and we have not for quite some time.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2fx0bvg3 said:
We need a young faster version of Mike Williams at WR.

Yep.

And it also happens to be a terrific draft for big receivers in round one, so the need matches available talent.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3alzit6m said:
sc85sis":3alzit6m said:

Yep.

And it also happens to be a terrific draft for big receivers in round one, so the need matches available talent.

Which means PCJS will wait until round 3, perhaps, and draft a guy nobody (except maybe Kearly) has had much insight into.

With that said, however, we haven't had great luck with draftedWRs...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Gee, I can't see how we can be any better on offense with Harvin and Rice back from injury. That wouldn't do a thing to our passing game.

I do agree wholeheartedly with the OL part of that though. Fix that, and get Harvin and Rice back for a whole season, and those passing woes suddenly become a strength. And with the tight ends we have, it'll fix that "need" too.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ji9259fp said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ji9259fp said:
sc85sis":ji9259fp said:

Yep.

Which means PCJS will wait until round 3, perhaps, and draft a guy nobody (except maybe Kearly) has had much insight into.

With that said, however, we haven't had great luck with draftedWRs...

Great first round depth doesn't mean great depth in the middle rounds too.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The confusion here is that "#1 receiver" means different things to different people. You could read that as the best receiver on the team, or a superstar receiver, and Harvin is already both of those if he is healthy. Most probably mean a dominant X/split end receiver (Larry Fitzgerald), although many would also include a dominant Z/flanker receiver (DeSean Jackson). It isn't a good term to use.

Split end "X" receivers typically line up at the line of scrimmage and need to be able to beat press coverage. Because of this they are usually big physical receivers and often line up on their own side of the field. If they are great then their potential to out physical a smaller CB for the ball often draws double coverage. This was Rice's job until he was hurt, and likely the position that the article author was talking about when he said we needed a #1. If we choose not to keep Rice then this falls to Kearse, Lockette and probably a big receiver that we draft in an early round.

Flanker "Z" receivers line up a couple of yards behind the line of scrimmage next to the tight end to allow the tight end to start on the line. It is much more difficult to jam them as a result which puts the emphasis on speed, and CBs will often give more of a cushion to avoid getting burned deep. There are a lot of quick outs thrown to the flanker with a bit of space, making this a position that both Tate and Harvin can excel at.

Football Outsiders":sdh3f9ep said:
A receiver on the line of scrimmage can release immediately into his route, and he is in good position to block his defender at the line. On the downside, he can be jammed easily. A receiver a yard or two in the backfield has extra space to beat a jam, which is why smaller receivers are often "flankers."

The wider a receiver's split, the more space he has in which to isolate and beat his defender. However, a receiver split wide of the field numbers has little room for running out-routes and other patterns that work the sidelines. Wide spacing also creates longer throws for the quarterback, which can be dangerous. Slot or flex receivers have space to work to the inside or out, can catch shorter, safer passes, and have a better chance of getting mismatched against a linebacker, safety, or nickelback in coverage. On the downside, they are working in tighter space; a slot receiver running a crossing route quickly moves from one defender's zone to another, making it hard for him to get open.

I have heard that old versions of the West Coast Offense funneled plays to the flanker, who was usually the Z receiver in their system. I have seen some WCO playbooks from the 1980s, and one thing that is striking is how often the Z-receiver went in motion. Factor in the motion and the fact that a flanker is hard to jam, and you have the perfect short-pass target from a three-step drop. That's an oversimplification, and I think the Z receiver got so much attention because his name was usually Dwight Clark or Jerry Rice.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Among those three choices, I'd prioritize it like so...

(1) OG
(2) Big WR
(3) TE

Of course, this all depends on what's available at #32. I just think a real monster at OG would be a bigger boost to this offense than those other positions. No more conversion projects.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past this FO to take a DE or something like that first. Maybe another RB, so I can see .NET melt down.

bigcc

Reaction score
sign Kenny Britt, has shown he CAN be that big time player at the nfl level, 6'3 223 lbs, fast, he'll be dirt cheap due to injury history and being in the dog house last year, sounds exactly like a typical pete carroll project, the guys only 25

randomation

Reaction score
All about the line honestly that Russ was pressured on around a third of his drop backs is absolutely absurd for a super bowl team, harvin being in the game completely changes the receiving picture the biggest thing is to protect Russ course that's coming for a Wisconsin fan following the hawks because of Russ so I am quite biased in that regard as are nc state fans I'm sure

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":80aqio0w said:
I just think a real monster at OG would be a bigger boost to this offense than those other positions. No more conversion projects.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past this FO to take a DE or something like that first. Maybe another RB, so I can see .NET melt down.

It's a shocking year for guards.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The WR class this year is very deep. OG unfortunately doesn't look so hot, though I love David Yankey.. he's still not a slam dunk prospect at that position.

But yeah.. WR, TE and OL are definitely the teams 3 biggest "needs" .. WR and TE especially if Tate leaves and/or Miller is cut.

OP
OP
nolachawks

nolachawks

Reaction score
I was thinking that Percy is our #1 WR, we are paying him #1 money. But I do understand that we might need a reciever, but I would like to give the team a chance having Percy with our recievers. I think our biggest needs and this of course depends on if we can resign Bennett or Cliff, would be offensive line help and pass rushers (never can have enough) and with our secondary the quicker we get to the Qb the more turnovers we will get. Depending on what happens with Zach we could also need a TE.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":rzzzf74y said:
we haven't had great luck with draftedWRs...

not picking on you because ive heard it a lot, why is that statement so popular on here? its as if we are the detroit lions pre calvin johnson era..

weve missed on 2.... 4th round picks in a few years...

daveman918

Reaction score
I'm with a lot of you on this. It is what we need considering Cap and the fact that we'll likely lose 2 receivers (Rice and another due to $$$). Could you imagine what this team would be like with a younger Tony Gonzales, a stronger offensive line and a large physical receiver?

mikeak

Reaction score
bigcc":2loem5cj said:
sign Kenny Britt, has shown he CAN be that big time player at the nfl level, 6'3 223 lbs, fast, he'll be dirt cheap due to injury history and being in the dog house last year, sounds exactly like a typical pete carroll project, the guys only 25

I agree on this kind of thinking (I was serious about cotchery as Redzone target). BUT the salary cap means you can also draft 1-2nd rounders and hope to hit on both