Redzone percentage

lobohawk

Reaction score
bandiger":3ttb01hv said:
More worried about the 3nOuts and low first down percentage on 3rd downs. I'm now expecting more failure than success during the first half.

This.

Our offense is a grind it out with the big play mixed in. It's kind of hard to do this when you can't have a good 3rd down conversion rate or low volume of 1st downs. One miscue (penalty, whiffed block, mis-read, bad scramble, etc) and our offense generally stalls. Rarely does it feel easy, like some other offenses. BTW, this has nothing to do with passing more....just efficiency.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
scrummymustard":36bom4ug said:
Yes Matthews is tall, but we should have done the same exact play back to Jimmy instead of throwing it to Matthews last game.

Matthews can be a solid player, but throw it up to the proven guy. No one is going to stop that play consistently against Graham, he is just too tall and can box out defenders with his size and strength.

The DB made a nice play on the first one, but jimmy has 5 inches and 70 pounds on the guy. You can pretty much say that about any DB covering him one on one on the goal line. Just toss is up to him back shoulder and give him a chance.

Why can't we come up with a play that makes the D defend both of the guys? The jump ball is a timing thing that can be worked on. I still don't understand how they are able to do it easily against our defense in practice but can't get it done against the bears?

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2vt9a1yj said:
gowazzu02":2vt9a1yj said:
Wilsons hesitant to throw it unless the guys wide open. The redzone shrinks down the throwing lanes.
There could be something to this. :stirthepot:

I have felt this is true for a while. I think it is also exacerbated by a tendency to call more throws in the redzone. In last weeks game we ran seven plays in the redzone and six were passes. That's way out of sync with our normal run to pass ratio.

Has anyone ever broken down our run to pass ratio in the redzone versus our run to pass ratio out of the redzone?

mikeak

Reaction score
TasteTheBeastmode":19prgt3k said:
hawkfannj":19prgt3k said:
gowazzu02":19prgt3k said:
Wilsons hesitant to throw it unless the guys wide open. The redzone shrinks down the throwing lanes.
There could be something to this. :stirthepot:

I have felt this is true for a while. I think it is also exacerbated by a tendency to call more throws in the redzone. In last weeks game we ran seven plays in the redzone and six were passes. That's way out of sync with our normal run to pass ratio.

Has anyone ever broken down our run to pass ratio in the redzone versus our run to pass ratio out of the redzone?

There is this one play in the redzone where the ball was thrown into tight coverage that keeps bothering me even now 6 months later.......... sure you know what I am thinking about

How about the predictability of Run, Run, Pass around the 10yard line is what makes our percentage lower? (mean this for pre-2015 years)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Anybody else hear the sound from the SB where Russ talks about letting him just throw it up for Mathews?

The guy isn't afraid. none of us know but he doesn't say that if he's afraid to let it go.