Refs missed blatant facemask on Denver's game-tying TD

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rxwijjh said:
Hasselbeck":3rxwijjh said:
I mean yes, they missed a face mask.. but it had no effect on the play itself.
Without that facemask Peyton gets sacked or is forced to throw it away, resulting in no touchdown. Look at how Schofield's move puts him around the side, that penalty is the only thing that allowed Peyton to get that pass off for the TD. Did you even watch the animated GIF in that link? o_O
Pretty damned obvious that he didn't, it's also pretty damned obvious that the Ref's didn't either, as they were too busy watching to make sure that Peyton wasn't being molested in his glory plays.
The Referees were preoccupied with making sure that Pey Pey had enough baby powder sprinkled in his jock strap.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

"missing" a blatant facemask and choosing not to throw the flag are two entirely different things...

their oline also held our dlineman every play in their final 4th Q drive... ill just say this, its a good thing the seahawks crushed the broncos in the peytonbowl, i, uh, mean superbowl. u dont want it to be close and leave things to "chance" with a goodell-run NFL. not that im remembering superbowl xl or anything :?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Normally a play like this, I'd chalk up to "Eh, stuff gets missed." But not after the Donkey fans this crying like the biggest babies in the NFL about how unfair the OT rules are, and the entirely legal Earl Thomas hit. No, have at it. Especially seeing as how this is an ACTUAL penalty. And directly impacted one of the biggest plays in the entire game. Hilarious. We even beat Denver in complaining about penalties. Nice try, Donkos. Congrats on your moral victory. "WE CAN HANG!!!"

gargantual

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":3mrcoxry said:

"missing" a blatant facemask and choosing not to throw the flag are two entirely different things...

their oline also held our dlineman every play in their final 4th Q drive... ill just say this, its a good thing the seahawks crushed the broncos in the peytonbowl, i, uh, mean superbowl. u dont want it to be close and leave things to "chance" with a goodell-run NFL. not that im remembering superbowl xl or anything :?

Things aren't like they were in 2005 for the Seahawks. We have a much larger fanbase - locally, nationally, even worldwide, so they wouldn't have dared the blatantly biased officiating that happened in XL.

Buuuuuuuuuuut. There is a large portion of people that still look at the Hawks as "unworthy" and pretenders, mostly since we're not one of the storied franchises and still mentally categorize them as perpetual losers that are only winning because they are "cheating."

I'm not saying there is any kind of conspiracy or anything, but my confidence at getting a fair shake in the big game without the overwhelming dominance we demonstrated was something I was very concerned about.

........so until we have several more Lombardi's in our showcase, we need to continue being dominant. That's what enters my mind when hearing Russell's catchphrase "Leave no doubt."

gulliver

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1cdfznrs said:
seabowl":1cdfznrs said:
I just don't see a face mask with this replay. Obrien spins low and the guys hand rubs across the facemask. At no point do I see him grabbing on though.

I agree, I thought it was incidental contact with the facemask. Could have been called because it was borderline, but not an automatic penalty.

For it to be a grabbing the facemask penalty, there has to be an actual twisting, turning, or pulling of the facemask.

For a hands to the face penalty, there has to be a "thrust forward" to the face.

I didn't see either of these happen on this play.
Really? I'm not even being a homer and I can see it well. It's the top GIF. I'm pretty savvy but not GIF-editing savvy.

If somebody is, if you could

*zoom in and crop to the mask area
*slow it down
*trim before and after the grab, and loop

I think people here would find it hard to dismiss it as 'nothing' or 'not twisted' or 'not flagrant' or 'not hooked'--it's ALL of those things.

It also happens a good 3-Mississippi before the pass, so the flag should have come out right there, and suddenly their momentum dies as they try to convert from 25 yards for the first. People REALLY don't think that makes a difference? :?:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I tend to want to give the referees the benefit of the doubt and not whine about penalties or missed penalties, ala the Santa Clara Forty-Whiners.

It seemed to me on this play that the hand to the facemask was inadvertent as Schofield was attempting to spin out of the block and the linemen moved his hand almost immediately after making contact with the facemask.

I think Schofield went to the ground himself with the intention of drawing a penalty for hands to the face, but I did not see an obvious "thrust forward" that would make this an absolutely egregious no-call.

On the other hand, if the penalty were called, it would have been borderline enough to be justified, though I do not believe it was so egregious that it would have drawn a fine from the league upon review. All in all, it's a no-call that is not worth complaining about.