Regardless of how this season ends....

StoneCold

Reaction score
Not sure they have to do anything big. Won't know until the end of the season how many pieces they already have. Glow, Britt and Ifedi appear pretty solid up the middle and Fant seems to be holding his own with lots of upside and we dont' knwo how Odhiambo will workout.

What other Linemen do they have on the 53 man and practice squad? They may be able to continue OL on the cheap through next year.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
With how young most of them are they can only improve. The big Q is what their upside is, something that they could start to show later even in this season.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
StoneCold":wie19y4y said:
Not sure they have to do anything big. Won't know until the end of the season how many pieces they already have. Glow, Britt and Ifedi appear pretty solid up the middle and Fant seems to be holding his own with lots of upside and we dont' knwo how Odhiambo will workout.

What other Linemen do they have on the 53 man and practice squad? They may be able to continue OL on the cheap through next year.
They need to trade for a probowl tackle. Im sorry but i dont want to see another TE or college d lineman starting again.

Chapow

Reaction score
RussB":1z2w9imb said:
StoneCold":1z2w9imb said:

They need to trade for a probowl tackle. Im sorry but i dont want to see another TE or college d lineman starting again.

I wonder how many teams with pro bowl tackles are willing trade to trade away their pro bowl tackle for a non absurd price?

I wouldn't be too surprised if the answer was zero.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Chapow":2yf3fitl said:
RussB":2yf3fitl said:
StoneCold":2yf3fitl said:

I wonder how many teams with pro bowl tackles are willing trade to trade away their pro bowl tackle for a non absurd price?

The team will be better able to evaluate what they need after they win the Super Bowl this year. :)

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1v19jc9c said:
RussB":1v19jc9c said:
semiahmoo":1v19jc9c said:
RussB":1v19jc9c said:
Do you think they will invest in the o line and actually put a lot of effort into it this offseason? I dont mean like this offseason, they got ifedi wich is a nice pick but other than that didnt do anything to help except for signing bradley foul and webb.

Even if they win it all this year, there needs to be some huge investments in the oline. Games are won and lost in the trenches and at the line of scrimmage, and they have big problems with that on offense and are very inconsistent. They need to release someone and sign a free agent or look for a trade for a pro bowl lineman enough is enough. We cant keep having basketball players and players playing out of position at tackle anymore.

Am i just beating a dead horse? Because i have a feeling pete wont do anything like always.

Hard to think this O-Line can help deliver a Super Bowl.
As to help coming, gonna take some moving of personnel to free up $$$$.

So who goes? Who stays?

Either way people will be unhappy. Interesting/Divisive off-season here we come!
Kearse would be a necessary sacrifice even though i like him and hes a locker room vet. Maybe even letting someone like cliff or bennett go. Sacrifices have to be made, and they cant ignore the o line that is required to protect the franchise QB anymore. Its become the achilles heal of this team and a glaring weakness.

They can deal with letting bennett go, they cant deal with this line anymore.

Kearse would not free up much money at all.

How much would it free if he was a designated June 1 cut?

SeaChat

Reaction score
I'm not going to win any popularity contest in this thread by saying that I'm pretty impressed with what Seattle has put together in the way of an offensive line this year. We had to cough up 32 Million to keep Russell happy, so I figure it is only fitting that the guys salaries that he ate up in that contract are letting him get is ass kicked every week.

All BS aside, the offense has really cleaned up and come together as the season has progressed and I think that they have actually assembled a pretty decent bunch of players on our offense. Their is a lot of young, inexperienced talent there, but the key word is talent and there is plenty of that.

It would have been nice to dole out the big bucks and buy a bunch of proven names to fill out our offensive roster, but everyone wants to get paid and there isn't enough to go around. We could have given up some of our other key players who we signed for high dollar contracts this year, but I can' t think of one of them that I'd want to let go.

So we do OJT (on the job training) with our offensive line, and hope they get their chit together by the time we really need for them to step up the plate and perform, NOW. I'm seeing it the past few games. Russell is getting more and more time to get is passes off, if he would just chill a bit and settle down on his passes just a touch, we would be or will be kicking some serious ass out there the rest of the season.

You take this current offensive line, mostly rookies or second year players, a few years from now and you'll be seeing them with the same stats as we could of bought had we not had to feed the older players so much this season to keep the team together.

My thoughts on the whole mess.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Chapow":2s7houmg said:
RussB":2s7houmg said:
StoneCold":2s7houmg said:

If they offered a team like the browns cliff or bennett for joe thomas im sure the browns would consider it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Resolving the RT situation should be fairly easy by way of draft.

Right tackles, especially run blocking maulers which Carroll prefers, aren't heavily coveted.

Additionally, should they opt to do it, Ifedi can move to RT. Physically, he's almost ideal for that position. Getting a robust run blocking RG in the draft that could be a day one starter could be had in day 2 or later.

The key is still Fant. Need to keep monitoring development. May not really see what we have until TC next season. Getting good experience now. Applying it effectively probably will take next offseason.