Reminds me of the Carp pick.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kearly":3c51zona said:
Another difference, Carp had 34" arms, which is close to average for a tackle. Ifedi has 36" arms, about the same length as Russell Okung.
Those two inches may come in handy when helping our QBs up off the ground. This sparq crap does not work well on the OL. Hopefully we still draft a kid or two that have actually proven they can block somebody.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
the abilities of Carp wasn't the issue, it was initial conditioning and perhaps not coincidentally early injury. Best ability is availability.

OP
OP
thegreeninyoureye
Reaction score
Wanted to clarify most post a little. I wasn't really comparing them to be like the same type of player. I was comparing it to how I felt about the pick. I was not overly excited about this pick or the Carpenter pick

However in terms of how I feel about the pick its self. I wasn't real happy about the Carp pick but I know we needed ol at the time just like we need ol now and the Carp pick and this pick totally makes sense for our club moving forward. It just is not the sexy pick and I know there were some players still available at the time that would of been a more exciting pick. No oline are exciting but we all know we need them and they have a heavy impact in the game. I Also stated in the post that this pick was probably a smart move in the long run. Some people maybe feel like that I don't know. They are two totally different players that have two different styles. Again in terms of how I felt like :Dunno: Like ehh. I wasn't really comparing the players of how they play. Im just clarifying how I felt about the pick Im like so so with it. Overall I think we need ol help and Im glad we got a o lineman. That third rounder helps also.

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1juxdg5t said:
kearly":1juxdg5t said:
Another difference, Carp had 34" arms, which is close to average for a tackle. Ifedi has 36" arms, about the same length as Russell Okung.
Those two inches may come in handy when helping our QBs up off the ground. This sparq crap does not work well on the OL. Hopefully we still draft a kid or two that have actually proven they can block somebody.

I'd hazard to guess that if you gave me a list of the top 20 NFL linemen, 90% of them would be 70th percentile or better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Ifedi's combine measurements: 6'6" 324lbs with 36" arms and 10 3/4" hands.

Carpenter's combine measurements: 6'4" 321lbs with 34" arms and 9 3/4" hands. Played around 340lbs his first couple seasons and had huge problems with injuries.

These are two players with completely different frames and no similarities. If Ifedi spends most of the next two years hurt then there will be a strong comparison to be made but that seems overly cynical even for a few of the naysayers around here.

xgeoff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":eqb6ud2q said:
xgeoff":eqb6ud2q said:
To the scouts credit, Carpenter now looks much better that he is away from Cable. I saw him play for the Jets and I couldn't believe it was the same guy.
If true this is very worrisome.

It was so weird. I was watching the Jets game thinking 'oh man, Carp is going to get owned'. And then he fired out and kicked some guys ass on a run play. And then I was like 'well, when it's a pass play he is going to get beaten so badly' and then he pass blocked SO WELL.

And I said 'Who the hell is this guy!?'

I don't get it. If he had played like that for us, he'd be the best guy on our line :(

AgentDib

Reaction score
xgeoff":1w0t9rqr said:
I don't get it. If he had played like that for us, he'd be the best guy on our line :(
He was also hurt and overweight for nearly all of his rookie contract. That matters anywhere but especially in the NFL.

xgeoff

Reaction score
AgentDib":3pi2the3 said:
xgeoff":3pi2the3 said:
He was also hurt and overweight for nearly all of his rookie contract. That matters anywhere but especially in the NFL.

Maybe there was a real change in his attitude and physical conditioning when he went to the Jets, I don't know. What I do know is that he looks like a different player and seems to have played well for the Jets from what I have seen.

Jville

Reaction score
xgeoff":3idplvye said:
AgentDib":3idplvye said:
xgeoff":3idplvye said:

Maybe there was a real change in his attitude and physical conditioning when he went to the Jets, I don't know. What I do know is that he looks like a different player and seems to have played well for the Jets from what I have seen.

You've got to pay attention.

Carpenter continued to work with the Seahawk program and build momentum going in his final year in Seattle. In his final off season he partnered with a personal trainer and dietician/cook. My understanding is ..... they worked so well together he took her to New York with him.

The joy in being a player or a fan is in the journey. If your not paying attention, your going to miss out.

Latest posts