Report: 49ers expect Harbaugh to accept Michigan offer

rlkats

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2zft0xcs said:
If Harbaugh could've gotten past Carroll, Santa Clara wouldn't have let him leave. The Seahawks beatdowns were the ugliest that the 49ers saw during the Harbaugh era and basically the only blackeye on a stellar run. Whether or not York wanted Jim gone long ago, Carroll's annual holiday butt-whooping of Harbaugh gave York just enough ammo to sell this to his fanbase.

So yeah, I have no problem saying that Pete Carroll chased Harbaugh out of the NFL. This move doesn't happen without Carroll's recent ownage of the 49ers.

I kind of disagree to a point. It did not help but in no means was Carrol the soul reason Harbaugh is gone. His offense has been from minute one horrible. If it was not for a great D we would have list many many more games. The NFL figured out the offense fast and once the injuries and kapernick started happening there was no was we would win anything.

Also there is the whole losing the locker room thing and being a complete douche to work with i feel is way more of a reason to let him bounce.

So while yes losing Harbaugh will be a shock to some. Me in kind of relieved as long as the god king and his side kick (SARCASIM) have a well thought out game plan im ok with it.

Yes Carrol and crew made him look pathetic but please realize Carrol was not the only one. Other coaches out coached him many many times and all we see is a 3y/o temper tantrum.

rlkats

Reaction score
So sorry one more thing.

Harbaugh while you showed us how to win in the end good luck and please take Roman with you. But leave Fangio.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":22a6zhbc said:
Marvin49":22a6zhbc said:
lvnginhwktwn":22a6zhbc said:
Sports Hernia":22a6zhbc said:
Whoa, what? D-Baugh to Michigan???????

For 3 months Melvin was jumping up and down red faced and screaming this WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

When this happens will Melvin admit he was wrong without preambles and qualifying statements?

Well in Marv's defense (snicker, snicker) it hasn't been made "official" yet.

Still don't think it'll happen.

If it does, I'll be happy to be wrong. I'd much rather he end up a Wolverine than a Raider.

Really Marv? I would think you would want Harbaugh to go to the Raiders because then Baalke would get another draft pick he can whiff on. Although I doubt any team (even the raiders) is dumb enough to trade for a coach that is going to be fired.

The pick would be nice, but at this point it's almost negligible. It won 't be a Grudens like pick.

Think about it. Would I rather have Harbaugh on the other side of the country and in college or in the same damn market and having to hear about him every single day from Raider fans holding it over our heads that they got our coach.

Come on. It a no brainier.

BTW, looks like I was wrong. Just confirmed on Twitter by Dave Feldman of CSNBay Area. He's going to Michigan. Dave Feldman isn't just a sportscaster, he's a Harbaugh family friend. That's one I'd take to the bank. I'd copy tweet here but I'm on my phone.

VERY surprised he'd go back to college. My guess is he won't be there longer than 4 or 5 years before he's looking to jump back into the pros.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Keep in mind Jim Harbaugh raised completely the bar for the NFC West when he got here. Pete was chasing Harbaugh in Harbaugh's first two-three years and surpassed him and set the new (modern) standard for the West in 2013. If anything, like Pete has said, thank Harbaugh for making you guys better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":1m57odf9 said:
Keep in mind Jim Harbaugh raised completely the bar for the NFC West when he got here. Pete was chasing Harbaugh in Harbaugh's first two-three years and surpassed him and set the new (modern) standard for the West in 2013. If anything, like Pete has said, thank Harbaugh for making you guys better.

Sad day as Niner fan. I like Jim and would have liked to see him stay.

He'll be back in the pros tho. Can't see him staying in Ann Arbor that long.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I agree with RationalNiner. Steel sharpens steel, as they say, and I think Harbaugh and the Niners helped the 'Hawks become the juggernauts they are right now. I really enjoy this rivalry, and think it's really a shame for the Niners that their management can't seem to play nice with one of their most successful head coaches ever. This didn't work when Mariucci was forced out, and it won't work here.

I know I may be in a minority here, but I don't want the Niners to fade to total irrelevance. I think having the Niners in the rear-view mirror may keep the 'Hawks from getting complacent. This is going to prove to be a mistake from a football point of view, and as a 'Hawk fan, it just makes me more grateful for how harmonious the relationship between PC, JS, and Allen seems to be.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":7c8fg24g said:
Pete was chasing Harbaugh?

Pete was already building what the Seahawks have become before Harbaugh arrived in the NFL. It's a little harder to do when you have to gut the entire team and build completely from scratch, rather than rearrange some pieces you already have to form a perennial NFCCG-reaching team like Harbaugh did.

You want to know why he's going to Michigan? It's because he knows he's not good enough to build the whole thing from scratch like Pete has.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm definitely not saying losing to Carroll is the only reason for his departure. Personally, I think the Santa Clara trainwreck is mostly Harbaugh's own doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if his camp planted most of the season's "leaks." This is the same guy who went to the press and told them that Carroll was leaving USC so he could gain a recruiting edge. The dude is not above using the media to his advantage.

That being said, do these issues come to the forefront as quickly if Harbagh had won the Carroll feud? If he had won the NFCCG? If he and Baalke hadn't witnessed Carroll and Schneider raise the Lombardi in bromantic fashion? I say no. But yes, I do concede that the 49ers/Seahawks arms race helped Seattle become a championship caliber team quickly and that the rivalry elevated Pete's coaching game. I'll miss it.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18c3tsum said:
RationalNiner":18c3tsum said:
Pete was chasing Harbaugh?

Pete was already building what the Seahawks have become before Harbaugh arrived in the NFL. It's a little harder to do when you have to gut the entire team and build completely from scratch, rather than rearrange some pieces you already have to form a perennial NFCCG-reaching team like Harbaugh did.

You want to know why he's going to Michigan? It's because he knows he's not good enough to build the whole thing from scratch like Pete has.

Yes, he was chasing Harbaugh. When Pete came in 2010, he won the west at 7-9. All of a sudden Harbaugh comes in and goes 13-3 in 2011. It was a complete surprise to everyone. Say whatever you want but Harbaugh set new standard for Pete to surpass and while he was building the team he knew what he had to chase. If the 49ers were still bottom dwellers under Harbaugh, maybe your team isn't what is today. Even in the 2013 offseason, there was the so called arms race between the Niners and Hawks.

During Harbaugh's Stanford days, it was different. He was the one chasing Pete and surpassed him there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gee, I guess I better get down on my knees in front of Jim and make like Mrs. Harbaugh to thank him for helping Pete so much.

:roll:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Marvin49":32l0ngge said:
rideaducati":32l0ngge said:
Marvin49":32l0ngge said:
lvnginhwktwn":32l0ngge said:
Sports Hernia said:
Whoa, what? D-Baugh to Michigan???????

For 3 months Melvin was jumping up and down red faced and screaming this WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

When this happens will Melvin admit he was wrong without preambles and qualifying statements?

Well in Marv's defense (snicker, snicker) it hasn't been made "official" yet.

Still don't think it'll happen.

If it does, I'll be happy to be wrong. I'd much rather he end up a Wolverine than a Raider.

Really Marv? I would think you would want Harbaugh to go to the Raiders because then Baalke would get another draft pick he can whiff on. Although I doubt any team (even the raiders) is dumb enough to trade for a coach that is going to be fired.

The pick would be nice, but at this point it's almost negligible. It won 't be a Grudens like pick.

Think about it. Would I rather have Harbaugh on the other side of the country and in college or in the same damn market and having to hear about him every single day from Raider fans holding it over our heads that they got our coach.

Come on. It a no brainier.

BTW, looks like I was wrong. Just confirmed on Twitter by Dave Feldman of CSNBay Area. He's going to Michigan. Dave Feldman isn't just a sportscaster, he's a Harbaugh family friend. That's one I'd take to the bank. I'd copy tweet here but I'm on my phone.

VERY surprised he'd go back to college. My guess is he won't be there longer than 4 or 5 years before he's looking to jump back into the pros.

Jim hasn't coached anywhere for more than a handful of years. Part of that is because he moved up each time. I suspect part is also because he was wearing out his welcome. It does make me wonder if he has it in him to stick with a team long term though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":a79mg53h said:
I'm definitely not saying losing to Carroll is the only reason for his departure. Personally, I think the Santa Clara trainwreck is mostly Harbaugh's own doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if his camp planted most of the season's "leaks." This is the same guy who went to the press and told them that Carroll was leaving USC so he could gain a recruiting edge. The dude is not above using the media to his advantage.

That being said, do these issues come to the forefront as quickly if Harbagh had won the Carroll feud? If he had won the NFCCG? If he and Baalke hadn't witnessed Carroll and Schneider raise the Lombardi in bromantic fashion? I say no. But yes, I do concede that the 49ers/Seahawks arms race helped Seattle become a championship caliber team quickly and that the rivalry elevated Pete's coaching game. I'll miss it.

If Niners had won it all in 2012, Harbaugh would have already been extended.

Not sure it would have changed all this or not. He could have left for Michigan at any time and honestly I think part of the problem were the constant rumors that he was interested in other positions while employed in SF.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bummed he'll be gone, but at the very least it'll bring an end to all of the "will he stay or will he go" drama.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":180n4cfy said:
Gee, I guess I better get down on my knees in front of Jim and make like Mrs. Harbaugh to thank him for helping Pete so much.

Lol. You ask any hawk player or Pete himself, he'll say the 49ers and Harbaugh helped make them better thanks to the competition. Pete has said it himself. But obviously it's not the sole reason (far from it).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can say this whole debacle was anything other than Harbaugh's own doing now that it's basically confirmed that he's been negotiating with Michigan DURING THE SEASON.

His "I'm only focused on winning" rhetoric was lip service at best, straight up lies at worst.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RationalNiner":vjjqax9q said:
RolandDeschain":vjjqax9q said:

You ask any hawk player or Pete himself, he'll say the 49ers and Harbaugh helped make them better thanks to the competition.
Yeah, and what you just said here is true. It's also not at ALL what you said a little bit ago, which I quoted originally.

chris98251

Reaction score
49ers had a roster in place with a lousy system and a lack of professionalism, Jim got their attention, Pete and John had over 500 player transactions in the first two years.

Over that time and I wish I could go back and copy all those Harbaugh owns Pete quotes all of you 49er fans posted and bring them up to review.

Harbaugh and the 49ers did set the bar, become the target or whatever you want to call it. They WERE the best and then second best team in the league since Pete arrived.

Harbaugh will go to Michigan because of three things.

It's his Alma Mater

It pays really well

He can flip the 49ers off leaving the building or more pointed Balke and the Yorks with not allowing them the satisfaction of padding the 49ers at his expense.

It's his nature and this is a professional flip off that won't tarnish him.

It's not unusual for a coach to leave a program to come back to the NFL either, I am sure once the Honeymoon is over Michigan may not want to roll with him as much once they get a taste of Morning sickness.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
I wouldn't be sold on the idea of Jim coming back to the NFL anytime soon. He is a control freak and wears out his welcome with GM's in the NFL. Like Nick Saban, he will have total control and will answer to nobody if he wins (Nick found this more acceptable than dealing with the Miami Dolphins). This just might be to his liking and Harbaugh is a little kid himself (College would be the perfect environment). Harbaugh had a lot of success but not happiness, that might trump competing with his brother for super bowl rings.