Report: 49ers expect Harbaugh to accept Michigan offer

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I believe one important, and possibly overlooked, factor in all of this is Harbaugh's desire and ability to have some control in the decision making process. By going back to college, he can choose the team he will coach next season. This not only allows him to control the narrative, but allows him to ensure a situation that is to his liking. He is in a position to ask for a LOT from Michigan - not just salary, but control too. Because he has one more year left on his NFL coaching contract, the 49ers (I believe) could essentially trade him to the highest bidder. He may prefer Oakland, or even the west coast. Some have speculated that the 49ers would likely just fire him at the end of the season - but what if they do not? The 49ers could choose to ship him off to the NY Jets, Bears, Giants, Redskins, Falcons - or any other team with a rumored head coach opening. Certainly a team could choose to not spend any draft pick compensation without an extension in hand. But I could see the Redskins or Jets giving up more than they should to bring in Harbaugh, believing they can make an impression, and convince him to stay, But if I am not mistaken, Harbaugh has very limited say if the team traded his contract to any other NFL team. I do not think he has the right to veto any trade

If one of the key factors with the 49ers is Harbaugh not having enough control, going back to college will give him ultimate control, allowing him to choose whichever premier NFL team coaching vacancy is available in a couple of years - that is assuming he will do well in Michigan.

kearly

Reaction score
Remember all the stories that came out of the woodwork for the Hawks after Harvin was traded?

The Bay Area media is going to flip more gossip than Perez Hilton next week.

I think if I was Marvin I'd take a vacation from .net for a couple weeks.

irocdave

Reaction score
Wow. This thread makes my LOL, or better yet, laugh at niner fans even more. So...the biggest douchebag in coaching takes a stacked team to the playoffs then that makes his nemesis better. Even though the nemesis had to dig deep and use every tool he had in his inventory to turn chicken #$%^ in to chicken salad. Then caption D-bag goes to a SB and got smoked....power outage my ass...and it makes his nemesis even better. Somehow caption D-bag should get partial credit for the nemesis winning a NFL championship in 2013? If the Hawks take it all in 2014 does that mean SF / SC gets a sixth ring? WTF, thinks this? Did captain D-bag and his followers make the cagey old man Carroll what he is? Is that really what I'm hearing? Wow.

Guess the world revolves around the niners even when they are circling the drain.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/549099017980743680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/549095535487885312[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The crap circus in SC is just starting. 8)
Get out the popcorn and enjoy! :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
RationalNiner":1u3h6hp7 said:
RolandDeschain":1u3h6hp7 said:
RationalNiner":1u3h6hp7 said:
Keep in mind Jim Harbaugh raised completely the bar for the NFC West when he got here. Pete was chasing Harbaugh in Harbaugh's first two-three years and surpassed him and set the new (modern) standard for the West in 2013. If anything, like Pete has said, thank Harbaugh for making you guys better.
Pete was chasing Harbaugh?

Pete was already building what the Seahawks have become before Harbaugh arrived in the NFL. It's a little harder to do when you have to gut the entire team and build completely from scratch, rather than rearrange some pieces you already have to form a perennial NFCCG-reaching team like Harbaugh did.

You want to know why he's going to Michigan? It's because he knows he's not good enough to build the whole thing from scratch like Pete has.

Yes, he was chasing Harbaugh. When Pete came in 2010, he won the west at 7-9. All of a sudden Harbaugh comes in and goes 13-3 in 2011. It was a complete surprise to everyone. Say whatever you want but Harbaugh set new standard for Pete to surpass and while he was building the team he knew what he had to chase. If the 49ers were still bottom dwellers under Harbaugh, maybe your team isn't what is today. Even in the 2013 offseason, there was the so called arms race between the Niners and Hawks.

During Harbaugh's Stanford days, it was different. He was the one chasing Pete and surpassed him there.

All this rational niner talk....."Kaep isn't that good, Harbaugh lost the locker room", and now you're dead set on carroll chasing harbaugh?

By that logic the Ravens only won the super bowl because they played against the Niners on Thanksgiving the year before, lol.

I find it interesting that both Carroll's and Harbaugh's first NFL win came against the 49ers and Seahawks respectively.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3347gh6y said:
Remember all the stories that came out of the woodwork for the Hawks after Harvin was traded?

The Bay Area media is going to flip more gossip than Perez Hilton next week.

I think if I was Marvin I'd take a vacation from .net for a couple weeks.

Kinda already started. Anthony Davis has been tweeting about his disdain for Greg Roman for 2 days now.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The niners are back to being the crap team they have been, since we joined the west. At least SC has super bowls to cling to from 20+ years ago. Maybe we can get an even bigger laugh, when they hire Mora as the new HC?

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm gonna miss the old sourpuss. He seems to have one of the most abrasive personalities, but you can't deny the results. was as fun a rivalry as the NFL has had in the last decade.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I want to take this moment to remind you that Kaepernick has a very easy deal to erase and it was for this reason. I expect one more, poor, season for the gazelle in SC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":jye0gpbx said:
Sports Hernia":jye0gpbx said:
lvnginhwktwn":jye0gpbx said:
Sports Hernia":jye0gpbx said:
Whoa, what? D-Baugh to Michigan???????

For 3 months Melvin was jumping up and down red faced and screaming this WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

When this happens will Melvin admit he was wrong without preambles and qualifying statements?

Well in Marv's defense (snicker, snicker) it hasn't been made "official" yet.
Keyword in my statement "When". :)

We're talking Marv here aka "The spin Dr." Don't hold your breath waiting on that apology.
Oh look, Whiner fan turning on his own kind on a Seahawks fan board. Delicious.

This franchise will live in mediocrity (or worse) to regret how this has turned out IMO. Total douche as a human being but a good football coach. Looking forward to he and Urban going toe to toe.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'm kind of bummed. No way the Hawks have the annual hard core opponent they had under Harbaugh with the change. The guy won a game in the Clink against Tavaris Jackson, but couldn't beat Russell here. That said he made the rivalry awesome and it won't be the same without him.
The Hawks/Niners have enjoyed a lot of respect in the league as a result of playing each other.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":ba6f46vw said:
DavidSeven":ba6f46vw said:
I'm definitely not saying losing to Carroll is the only reason for his departure. Personally, I think the Santa Clara trainwreck is mostly Harbaugh's own doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if his camp planted most of the season's "leaks." This is the same guy who went to the press and told them that Carroll was leaving USC so he could gain a recruiting edge. The dude is not above using the media to his advantage.

That being said, do these issues come to the forefront as quickly if Harbagh had won the Carroll feud? If he had won the NFCCG? If he and Baalke hadn't witnessed Carroll and Schneider raise the Lombardi in bromantic fashion? I say no. But yes, I do concede that the 49ers/Seahawks arms race helped Seattle become a championship caliber team quickly and that the rivalry elevated Pete's coaching game. I'll miss it.

If Niners had won it all in 2012, Harbaugh would have already been extended.

Not sure it would have changed all this or not. He could have left for Michigan at any time and honestly I think part of the problem were the constant rumors that he was interested in other positions while employed in SF.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bummed he'll be gone, but at the very least it'll bring an end to all of the "will he stay or will he go" drama.

Good job turning Jed pushing out Harbaugh into a positive . . . at least in your mind.

You have outdone yourself here.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2g1h4aux said:
Marvin49":2g1h4aux said:
DavidSeven":2g1h4aux said:
I'm definitely not saying losing to Carroll is the only reason for his departure. Personally, I think the Santa Clara trainwreck is mostly Harbaugh's own doing, and I wouldn't be surprised if his camp planted most of the season's "leaks." This is the same guy who went to the press and told them that Carroll was leaving USC so he could gain a recruiting edge. The dude is not above using the media to his advantage.

That being said, do these issues come to the forefront as quickly if Harbagh had won the Carroll feud? If he had won the NFCCG? If he and Baalke hadn't witnessed Carroll and Schneider raise the Lombardi in bromantic fashion? I say no. But yes, I do concede that the 49ers/Seahawks arms race helped Seattle become a championship caliber team quickly and that the rivalry elevated Pete's coaching game. I'll miss it.

Not sure it would have changed all this or not. He could have left for Michigan at any time and honestly I think part of the problem were the constant rumors that he was interested in other positions while employed in SF.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bummed he'll be gone, but at the very least it'll bring an end to all of the "will he stay or will he go" drama.

Good job turning Jed pushing out Harbaugh into a positive . . . at least in your mind.

And you accuse ME of spin. Jeez.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1mpdatmj said:
I'm kind of bummed. No way the Hawks have the annual hard core opponent they had under Harbaugh with the change. The guy won a game in the Clink against Tavaris Jackson, but couldn't beat Russell here. That said he made the rivalry awesome and it won't be the same without him.
The Hawks/Niners have enjoyed a lot of respect in the league as a result of playing each other.
I hear what you are saying but even with a SC slide the NFCW isn't even close to as soft as the NFC east.
SC will drop and either or both AZ and STL will step forward.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ges6fgl said:
hawknation2014":1ges6fgl said:
Marvin49":1ges6fgl said:
DavidSeven":1ges6fgl said:

And you accuse ME of spin. Jeez.
And his assessment of you is 100% correct.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hey guys, most of us hate the whiners because of their whiny fans and their fans will still be there...they'll be hiding a lot more, but they'll be there. The whiners will still be fun to hate no matter how bad they are...for however long.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yep, generally speaking I've never seen such an insecure fanbase and one that craves so much attention from their "rivals".

HansGruber

Reaction score
I sure would love to hear from some of these whiner fans who said we got lucky last season and they'd be back in the superbowl this year.

.500 record? Check.
Eliminated from playoffs? Check.
Coach humiliated by Seahawks and fired? Check.
Team falling apart? Check.
New stadium a total disaster with ridiculous greedy anti-fan ticket prices driving away their former fairweather fanbase? Check.

LOL. The niners had 3 decent seasons and it's back to the basement. Enjoy looking up at the Cardinals and LA Rams while rocking in place and crying silently with an old VHS from the early 1980s replaying your glory years. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving fanbase and team.

Rotfl