Report: AP has been indicted on negligent injury to a child

DavidSeven

Reaction score
My feelings are generally in line with those who grew up with the "old school" model of parenting. That being said, if this was indeed someone else's child, the issue definitely becomes more complicated depending on the severity of the kid's injuries and the kid's age.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":2y0edjn1 said:
kearly":2y0edjn1 said:
I got far worse from a loving father, and I'm young enough to be a millennial. Physical punishment typically is not child abuse.

Grey area. My sister-in-law works for CPS and she says you can hit a child with an open hand and but not a clenched fist. I'd never hit my children, but that's my personal choice and not an indictment on those who do.

Hitting them with a switch. Grey area. Dunno where to go with that. I'd suspect it would depend on the specific instance.

Clenched fist is wrong for sure. But I was disciplined with a rod or twitch and it was just fine.

My parents eventually came to realize that there were other forms of punishment I hated much worse that were non-violent. But still, I'd like to think that as many reasonable forms of discipline should be left on the table.

Mostly, I think it's important for kids to fear their parents at least slightly, so as to take the threat of punishment seriously. If a child fights back and doesn't take threats of punishment seriously, the parent should reach out and seek help immediately.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":2cccvmx4 said:
kearly":2cccvmx4 said:
If he physically disciplined someone else's child, to me that is between him and that kid's parents. It's not something the authorities or NFL should be concerned over, unless it produced significant injury of course.

Still waiting on verifiable facts, but I'm hearing that it was a visiting child and the boy went back to his mother who saw the "injury" and took him to the doctor. The doctor (I'm assuming under legal obligation) notified Texas authorities and an investigation began. Now we have an indictment.

I'm sure more facts will be forthcoming, but that is what I've heard thus far.

I actually dunno exactly what the law says in this regard. Is it illegal to hit a child with an object (switch, stick, whatever)? I know a clenched fist is illegal, but dunno with the reset.

If it is, where is the line? Hard enough to bruise? Location on the child's body? I have no idea.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
pmedic920":3amwoct7 said:
In my day as a kid, the neighbor down the road would woop that "A". When you got home and the folks found out, you'd get another.

"A's" were meant for 4 things, pooping, sitting, whooping, and twerking. :)
Exactly...nowadays CPS will be at the house real quick

Also...I'm always cynical about anyone that presses charges against a famous athlete/celebrity

hawk45

Reaction score
If it wasn't his kid that's a tough one. I feel it's best to have spanking in the parental toolbox myself, but I'd be leery of anyone else's kid. Even if it would do them good, not sure it's my place to go physical with punishment, would worry about legal ramifications if they objected or didn't believe in it, and if I was a millionaire public figure I damned sure wouldn't give someone a reason to target me.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":f2g68fx1 said:
Marvin49":f2g68fx1 said:
kearly":f2g68fx1 said:
I got far worse from a loving father, and I'm young enough to be a millennial. Physical punishment typically is not child abuse.

Grey area. My sister-in-law works for CPS and she says you can hit a child with an open hand and but not a clenched fist. I'd never hit my children, but that's my personal choice and not an indictment on those who do.

Hitting them with a switch. Grey area. Dunno where to go with that. I'd suspect it would depend on the specific instance.

Clenched fist is wrong for sure. But I was disciplined with a rod or twitch and it was just fine.

My parents eventually came to realize that there were other forms of punishment I hated much worse that were non-violent. But still, I'd like to think that as many reasonable forms of discipline should be left on the table.

Agreed. As I said...not hitting my children is my personal choice. No judgment on those who do.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":hk74gpd7 said:
We're talking Texas, so if there's an indictment then I'm guessing it's serious. And I've no idea why so many of you are bragging about being beaten severely as children, but that's for another thread in a different forum, I suppose.

It's not bragging, it's just recognizing the differences between what was acceptable between now and when I was a kid.

We also rode around in the back of pickup trucks and generally without seat belts. I don't remember baby gates being a thing. I think parents are arrested now for the lack of supervision we had.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/ag_publications/txts/childabuse1.shtml[/urltargetblank]

Information on Texas Child Abuse Laws for those interested enough to read through. It does specifically say that laws allow for reasonable physical discipline

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ikmdmjd said:
nsport":3ikmdmjd said:
I will say that I find it extremely odd that it is labeled an indictment - this indicates some pretty serious accusations. I'm definitely not an expert in any way - but I think if it's ordinary parental discipline that may result in the need for an investigation it would first be done by Social Services - where a full assessment might take place. This "indictment" is just disturbing, making it sound a lot more serious than a parent with a lost temper.

Apparently this is the result of an investigation that's been going on for awhile. Dunno what to make of that.

Found this on another site.
Sources say Peterson was first ‘no billed’ by the grand jury when the prosecutor first presented this case but the District Attorney’s office took it a second time and this time the panel in Montgomery County accepted the criminal charge

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It's bragging (mostly). Anyhow, I think what this boils down to is the nature of the injury AND to what extent one is allowed to discipline another person's child. Physical discipline is generally a lazy person's method, IMO, but if it has to be used, then it's only for extreme situations.

How AP gets off beating someone else's kid to the point of injury is beyond me, but I think the general consensus around here is to wait for more details. Still, it doesn't look good.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I was never switched but I got the wooden spoon once or twice. Never for breaking anything or making a mistake (even a bad one) but I did get spanked for telling lies or being defiant.

Hitting someone else's kid, though? Not sure how I feel about that. (Though I got stuck in line at Best Buy a few days ago behind a couple of kids who could have benefitted from a good spanking.)

I'd say it would be interesting to see how this shakes out, but I expect more of the same banal discussion from the talking heads on ESPN and NFL Network so I expect to get sick of this story in short order.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/[/urltargetblank]

This article shows images of the injuries as shown in the police report.

Full size images here:

[urltargetblank]https://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-son-injuries-1.jpg[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/adrian-peterson-son-injuries-2.jpg[/urltargetblank]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":218al7y4 said:
[urltargetblank]https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/ag_publications/txts/childabuse1.shtml[/urltargetblank]

Information on Texas Child Abuse Laws for those interested enough to read through. It does specifically say that laws allow for reasonable physical discipline

Looks like that exclusion only applies to parents/guardians of the child, though. AP would be held to a higher standard (assuming it wasn't his child).

Text: "The law specifically excludes “reasonable” discipline by the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator;"

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
kidhawk":1bps6vbt said:

Key word is reasonable - and that is for interpretation.

I would say without a doubt - if you injure your kid (or someone else's) it should be considered beyond reasonable. No black eyes, no bruises from clinched fist, no draw blood or scratches, no broken bones, no sprained ligaments... If his ass stings because you swatted it, I think that's ok. - I'd even give a pass to a pinch if it didn't cause a bruise.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3mddm14z said:
kidhawk":3mddm14z said:

Looks like that exclusion only applies to parents/guardians of the child, though. AP would be held to a higher standard (assuming it wasn't his child).

Text: "The law specifically excludes “reasonable” discipline by the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator;"

The latest link I posted says it was his child and the child was 4. I'd previously read that it wasn't his child. Of course conflicting reports are to be expected this early in a case like this. I'm leaning towards believing the report that it was his child because the report with that includes images from the police report.

Either way though, if the child was in his care, I think that would count as guardianship, even if it was only temporary.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I learned today that my parents were felons.

We will see what happens. As I understood the new abuse policy, it applies to both women and children. Which could mean 6 games for Peterson. Or an indefinite suspension.

hawk45

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rlm72n7 said:
DavidSeven":1rlm72n7 said:
kidhawk":1rlm72n7 said:

The latest link I posted says it was his child and the child was 4. I'd previously read that it wasn't his child. Of course conflicting reports are to be expected this early in a case like this. I'm leaning towards believing the report that it was his child because the report with that includes images from the police report.

Either way though, if the child was in his care, I think that would count as guardianship, even if it was only temporary.

Guardian is a specific term that doesn't apply to caring for someone else's child temporarily. You have to go through a bunch of training, get a Guardian Ad Litem appointed to assess your fitness and write a recommendation, get a court date, and be appointed a guardian and get it renewed annually where they review your financials and assess the kid.

Latest posts