Report: Niners will make run at Revis trade

mikeak

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":1jl1jzn9 said:
If the 49ers go after Revis they would be following the Eagles model of recent years...

Where is the like button on this website?

Goldrush

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hko6ox7 said:
I have been hoping this is true all day. I want them to turn all those picks into less players.

The Niners would be stupid not to do that, 15 rookies cant survive on a superbowl quality roster. They will trade quantity for quality and likely stock up draft picks for future years as well. As for Revis, well he's the best CB in the league bar none and a very rare talent. Last time we went out and pick up a free agent CB of his caliber it worked pretty well for us in 94. Lets not kid each other, this would be a huge plus for 49ers and yet another huge obstacle for our opponents, whether it will happen or not remains to be seen, I kind of think it won't to be honest.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Goldrush":2gb4hxgw said:
Scottemojo":2gb4hxgw said:
I have been hoping this is true all day. I want them to turn all those picks into less players.

The Niners would be stupid not to do that, 15 rookies cant survive on a superbowl quality roster. They will trade quantity for quality and likely stock up draft picks for future years as well. As for Revis, well he's the best CB in the league bar none and a very rare talent. Last time we went out and pick up a free agent CB of his caliber it worked pretty well for us in 94. Lets not kid each other, this would be a huge plus for 49ers and yet another huge obstacle for our opponents, whether it will happen or not remains to be seen, I kind of think it won't to be honest.
Revis has a history of holding out. He is coming off an ACL. Do I want you to trade 3 high picks for him? Hell yes. Even if it is a good pickup for the Niners. Any pick you don't use to get the next Justin Smith, Dashon Goldson, or Frank Gore is fine with me.

KJ Wright and Richard Sherman were bonus picks. More picks is a very good thing, and having a dozen guys compete for roster spots half of them won't get is a good thing. If your front office does not see it that way, and wants to divest themselves of picks, I am fine with that.

A good test of your front office this year will be if they can turn those picks into picks for next year DURING the draft. Become the Bank of the 49ers, a la Bill and the Patriots. That would impress me far more than turning a handful of picks into an injured veteran. That would establish them as players in the salary cap era, and capable of sustaining the model. The current success of the 49ers is built around high draft selections. If the Niners keep being a good team, and they should, they will have to establish that they can get stars in the 24-32 draft pick range, like the Ravens and Patriots do. And make hay in the 2-4 rounds, like the Patriots and Ravens do.

For the record, Seattle has to do the same. SO far, our success in drafting is built on a need for players long neglected by the NFL model. LEO, long press corners, oddball 5 technique, short QB with intangibles...we don't have a lot of competition for those guys in NFL circles. We have not built up our draft day bank of picks because we have not had a lot of talent that other teams covet enough to trade for. I have called the Niners the most talented team in the NFL for 5 years now, and Seattle is not there yet. Every year, we trade back for a couple of extra picks on draft day, but that isn't the same as going through the off season with 10 plus picks, most of which are in the second through 4th rounds. We have ten this year, but lots of those are in the 7th round.

Goldrush

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1xwu02o5 said:
Goldrush":1xwu02o5 said:
Scottemojo":1xwu02o5 said:

Revis has a history of holding out. He is coming off an ACL. Do I want you to trade 3 high picks for him? Hell yes. Even if it is a good pickup for the Niners. Any pick you don't use to get the next Justin Smith, Dashon Goldson, or Frank Gore is fine with me.

KJ Wright and Richard Sherman were bonus picks. More picks is a very good thing, and having a dozen guys compete for roster spots half of them won't get is a good thing. If your front office does not see it that way, and wants to divest themselves of picks, I am fine with that.

A good test of your front office this year will be if they can turn those picks into picks for next year DURING the draft. Become the Bank of the 49ers, a la Bill and the Patriots. That would impress me far more than turning a handful of picks into an injured veteran. That would establish them as players in the salary cap era, and capable of sustaining the model. The current success of the 49ers is built around high draft selections. If the Niners keep being a good team, and they should, they will have to establish that they can get stars in the 24-32 draft pick range, like the Ravens and Patriots do. And make hay in the 2-4 rounds, like the Patriots and Ravens do.

For the record, Seattle has to do the same. SO far, our success in drafting is built on a need for players long neglected by the NFL model. LEO, long press corners, oddball 5 technique, short QB with intangibles...we don't have a lot of competition for those guys in NFL circles. We have not built up our draft day bank of picks because we have not had a lot of talent that other teams covet enough to trade for. I have called the Niners the most talented team in the NFL for 5 years now, and Seattle is not there yet. Every year, we trade back for a couple of extra picks on draft day, but that isn't the same as going through the off season with 10 plus picks, most of which are in the second through 4th rounds. We have ten this year, but lots of those are in the 7th round.

Well I would agree it would be bad to trade our 3 top picks, that's not going to happen so we aren't starting from the same position. I would suspect a similar deal like Smith got, a 2nd and a conditional performance based pick the following year. Expect the Niners to them trade up a few times to hit their targeted players and then trade back a few times to stock up for next year as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Reports were that the Jets wanted two ones at minimum. San Fran doesn't have that, but their top three picks would probably be enough. Or their top two. Or thei first and a first next year. I wasn't pulling the three picks out of my ass, the Jets are asking for a kings ransom.. I also don't think San Fran would do it, but that is the cost right now

Goldrush

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2uhwrk9f said:
Reports were that the Jets wanted two ones at minimum. San Fran doesn't have that, but their top three picks would probably be enough. Or their top two. Or thei first and a first next year. I wasn't pulling the three picks out of my ass, the Jets are asking for a kings ransom.. I also don't think San Fran would do it, but that is the cost right now

Well I'm basing mine on a basic concept of reality. 2 #1's is never gonna happen with any team for several reasons. Jets can talk about what they would like all day but no one is giving up that compensation with that salary, plus the injury risk, plus the draft and free agent options this year.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Goldrush":3d4sv3dy said:
Scottemojo":3d4sv3dy said:

Well I'm basing mine on a basic concept of reality. 2 #1's is never gonna happen with any team for several reasons. Jets can talk about what they would like all day but no one is giving up that compensation with that salary, plus the injury risk, plus the draft and free agent options this year.

Yeah... Especially since the Jets aren't in the best situation to negotiate. Revis is more than likely going to be gone from NY next year -- They simply can't afford him!

If I were the Jets, I'd take a #1, and then get a few #2 or #3 picks.