Restructure Red, Clemons, sign Allen and let Bennet Walk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Vetamur":23rockh4 said:
Vetamur":23rockh4 said:
DEs that get pressure and get sacks are vital, but are semi-common, and a rush from the outside can be manufactured to an extent. In the case we are talking about, letting Clemmons go, and putting Irvin back at DE would probably result in roughly the same amount of pressure for less money. A year off from rushing, playing LB has also improved Irvins ability against the run and overall feel for the game so he wouldnt be a liability against the run I believe. We have depth at LB and LBs are fairly easy to find. With Smith emerging we already have 3 starting quality LBs.

A DT that gets pressure and sacks is a more rare breed. Bennett is one of those. Its those rare producers that I believe JS and PC want to spend their money on and I agree with it. Keeping Bennett is vital, its not likely we could replace the production we get from him at DT, plus of course we has flexibility to play outside when we want a BUNCH of pass rushers on the field at the same time.

"Moneyball" is difficult to do in the NFL, but there are certain moves that operate on its principles and I think this is one of them.

Well, never mind..according to reports Irvin is staying at LB where we will be stacked with very good LBs (none great in my opinion).

Oh brother.. "none great?" if you feel that way about Wagner, I'm speechlesss.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1h7msr9w said:
scutterhawk":1h7msr9w said:
Throwdown":1h7msr9w said:
We've done the old veteran thing before, prefer not to go down that road ever again.
You bet, that's like a cheap Band-Aid that seems to keep falling off when you least expect it to.

Bennett isn't coming back anyway.
Sure wish I could favorite some of these posts for future reference.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":kzwuheva said:
BlueBlood":kzwuheva said:
scutterhawk":kzwuheva said:
Throwdown":kzwuheva said:
We've done the old veteran thing before, prefer not to go down that road ever again.
You bet, that's like a cheap Band-Aid that seems to keep falling off when you least expect it to.

Bennett isn't coming back anyway.
Sure wish I could favorite some of these posts for future reference.

You should.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":gupslmr2 said:
This is by far my #1 choice for the off season in regards to the defensive line. Am I the only one concerned about giving Bennett 8-10 million per year at the age of 28? A deal like that is likely going to make him a Seahawk for 5 years and into his mid 30s. Consider what other contracts are coming up beyond this season I believe bringing in Allen for 1 or 2 years Max at 10 million per would be a better move. I just feel like Bennett wants too much for what he's actually accomplished. He was our best defensive lineman no doubt but I don't think that anyone would be able to argue that Allen would have had a much better season. You are talking about a guy that finished with 11 and a half sacks on a defense full of nobodies. Bennett just seems and speaks like a dude that will fold like a house of cards once he signs that big deal. I know everyone is about the money at this level but do you really have to make it so obvious?p He just rubs me the wrong way.

I think this is a terrible idea. Allen is 3 years older than Bennett, so you can discard the age thing.

And the thing that people keep forgetting regarding Bennett is that his flexibility is damn near impossible to replace. He can create effective pressure from inside or outside. That's hugely valuable.

Now, before anyone thinks I'm saying he was the ONLY reason our D-line did so well last year, that's not true. But he was a big part of it. His presence on the inside is a big reason why QBs couldn't step up and avoid the outside rush as much as they did in 2012.

And I don't think giving him $10M a year is a good idea, but it's a better idea than giving Allen $10M a year.

As for how Bennett "seems" to you and how he "rubs" you, that's your own personal hangups speaking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":2l95n44g said:
This idea that the difference between this year and last year is entirely due to Bennett, implicitly saying that Avril and the two Mcd's are average players, is ridiculous. I have no idea where it comes from.

You have no idea where it comes from because you made this counter opinion up out of thin air.

NO ONE from here, the media or the players and coaches themselves has said that the difference between last year and this year is ENTIRELY due to Bennett...............and no one from here, the media or players/coaches have said that Avril and the rest of the line are average players.

Bennett was an enormously successful free agent acquisition, so it's not really a big head scratcher to discuss giving him a nice contract extension. So why all the confusion?

NorCal

Reaction score
Bennett was the main problem for the Niners against you guys this season (at least on the Dline). I don't know how much longer he's got in top form, but I saw him as a huge part of your postseason success. I hope you let him walk.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Keep Bennett, restructure Clemons, pass on Allen, let Red walk. Sorry Red, love ya buddy, but too much money for a guy that only plays 50% of the snaps and is essentially just a run stop.

Allen is going to want big money that we need elsewhere. We have Hill and Williams waiting in the wings.

Honestly I see Clemons as the leader of the defense. He's making too much for a guy his age, but he's still a potent force. Sure his numbers "dipped" last year, but the guys opposite him exceeded expectations, which tell me he's still a huge factor. Would love to see him restructure and end his career here.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2uhmdt4n said:
As for how Bennett "seems" to you and how he "rubs" you, that's your own personal hangups speaking.
I dont deny that.

Latest posts