Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":8t3dqqfm said:
Even my Niner fan friends are saying they think he should be cut. What a waste

The times have really changed, even in the last six months.

I think there's a real chance that guys like Joe Mixon, Frank Clark, and Tyrek Hill wouldn't even get drafted today. I've got no problem with that, just as I've got no problem with the 9ers cutting him if this is anywhere as serious as it sounds.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'd support the team fully if they decide to cut him, but I don't expect that they will.

Like it or not, talent level plays a big part in how these issues are dealt with. Additionally, Reuben is very well liked in the locker room and by Kyle and John in particular. This isn't a defense of him BTW, Im just saying what I THINK is going to happen.

My guess is that they will have a long talk with him and then suspend him (perhaps not even waiting for the league to take action). This is it though. If there is another infraction, he's done. Sadly, in that case it may only be a matter of time. Somebody has to smack him upside the head to get through to him. He's throwing it all away.

The thing we don't know though is exactly what happened. There is nothing she could have done that would warrant him putting his hands on her, but if he grabbed her wrist its one thing. If he punched her? He's done now. He'll be released TODAY.

rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin49":14ex53s0 said:
I'd support the team fully if they decide to cut him, but I don't expect that they will.

Like it or not, talent level plays a big part in how these issues are dealt with. Additionally, Reuben is very well liked in the locker room and by Kyle and John in particular. This isn't a defense of him BTW, Im just saying what I THINK is going to happen.

My guess is that they will have a long talk with him and then suspend him (perhaps not even waiting for the league to take action). This is it though. If there is another infraction, he's done. Sadly, in that case it may only be a matter of time. Somebody has to smack him upside the head to get through to him. He's throwing it all away.

The thing we don't know though is exactly what happened. There is nothing she could have done that would warrant him putting his hands on her, but if he grabbed her wrist its one thing. If he punched her? He's done now. He'll be released TODAY.

Sorry man but I disagree. John and Kyle have already set the tone. Last off-season Robinson (I think ) was cut for the SAME issue. I think they have to continue to set the tone in the locker room that no one is above the standard. Hell they released Bowman. He slowed down, but was a locker room leader. The Niners organization needs to cut ties with players that are off-season cancers.

They could always draft another LB or two. Lets be real Foster was never going to play a full season. He is made of glass. Its better to bite the bullet now than to deal with another off-season of turmoil. Just my opinion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet, plenty of people on here toasted the Hawks for their so called "horrible" decision to not get this guy. There's a reason he fell that far down in the draft.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":221e9q53 said:
Marvin49":221e9q53 said:

Sorry man but I disagree. John and Kyle have already set the tone. Last off-season Robinson (I think ) was cut for the SAME issue. I think they have to continue to set the tone in the locker room that no one is above the standard. Hell they released Bowman. He slowed down, but was a locker room leader. The Niners organization needs to cut ties with players that are off-season cancers.

They could always draft another LB or two. Lets be real Foster was never going to play a full season. He is made of glass. Its better to bite the bullet now than to deal with another off-season of turmoil. Just my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me...

...I'm not saying what SHOULD happen. I'm saying what I think WILL happen. To be honest...I haven't really decided what I think should happen, but I'm leaning toward release. The hard part is that I dunno what really happened.

The reason I think they will keep him though is that John and Kyle really had no connection with Brock. It was an easy decision. I have always thought there was more going on with Navarro. What little I've heard involved insubordination and a very unhappy player who was taken off the field on passing downs.

This is different. They are far more likely to give him another chance given what they have invested in him (and I'm not talking about the $$$ or draft pick, I'm talking about the fact that he was one of THEIR guys).

He could be released today and I won't have a problem with it, but I just don't think thats whats gonna happen. If it does, I think that'll tell you it was a severe incident.

If the DO release him, it'll send a really clear signal to the rest of the team not to screw up. It will also tell them that there are no second chances.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It would be nice to see a team send that message. So many players seem to think they can do whatever they want w/out consequences.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hsenris said:
Yet, plenty of people on here toasted the Hawks for their so called "horrible" decision to not get this guy. There's a reason he fell that far down in the draft.

There were still people very, very recently roasting the FO for "giving Foster to the 9ers". Boy do they look stupid.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3826g91r said:
It would be nice to see a team send that message. So many players seem to think they can do whatever they want w/out consequences.

Thats true, but nobody wants to be THAT team who has to make the sacrifice of a possibly great player to make that point.

They all want it to be some other team to take the hit. Niners went through this with Aldon and with Ray McDonald...while its a bit different and we don't know everything yet, it sucks to be here again.

kobebryant

Reaction score
chris98251":1l1ol3h4 said:
kobebryant":1l1ol3h4 said:
This is part of the problem with going discount shopping for big time talents. You can’t be totally risk adverse, because sometimes you get Tyrann Matthieu or Frank Clark, but other times you might get Reuben Foster, Randy Gregory or Malik McDowell.

Malik McDowell hardly fits the DV situation, he made a stupid mistake with the ATV incident and was a loud mouth to authority.

My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply all those guys had comparable issues (should have been clear with the inclusion of Tyrann) , just examples of how sometimes rolling the dice on talents who have been devalued due to any variety of red flags can sometimes pay off and sometimes don’t. But the payoff on a hit is often well worth it .

nanomoz

Reaction score
That sucks.

Hopefully the victim in question is okay, and Foster can find some help dealing with his demons.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chapow":4gwu8zgv said:
SoulfishHawk":4gwu8zgv said:

There were still people very, very recently roasting the FO for "giving Foster to the 9ers". Boy do they look stupid.

Yeah the Hawks really put that pick to good use.

rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin49":2zv21pcg said:
rlkats":2zv21pcg said:
Marvin49":2zv21pcg said:

Don't misunderstand me...

...I'm not saying what SHOULD happen. I'm saying what I think WILL happen. To be honest...I haven't really decided what I think should happen, but I'm leaning toward release. The hard part is that I dunno what really happened.

The reason I think they will keep him though is that John and Kyle really had no connection with Brock. It was an easy decision. I have always thought there was more going on with Navarro. What little I've heard involved insubordination and a very unhappy player who was taken off the field on passing downs.

This is different. They are far more likely to give him another chance given what they have invested in him (and I'm not talking about the $$$ or draft pick, I'm talking about the fact that he was one of THEIR guys).

He could be released today and I won't have a problem with it, but I just don't think thats whats gonna happen. If it does, I think that'll tell you it was a severe incident.

If the DO release him, it'll send a really clear signal to the rest of the team not to screw up. It will also tell them that there are no second chances.

Its a messed up situation regardless. Sad.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't know, I've seen some pretty physically aggressive women. I think it is funny how people in general think an ass kicking just falls from the sky for no reason. Not saying women deserve to be hit but I wish society would hold women liable as well. Two men get into a fight they are both getting arrested if the police are called. I think everyone can agree that two people, especially grown adults, shouldn't assault each other.

chris98251

Reaction score
Man hits man it's a fight or assault.

Man hits women it's domestic violence.

Glad they are equal, man will be charged almost every time yet we see the other side of the coin with harassment and discrimination also.

My Aunt would take a coffee cup (plastic) and hit herself and call the cops when she was pissed at her husband and said that at a family get together. She said she can mess up his world with a phone call, he hits her she calls, he don't she uses the coffee cup and calls, they take him either way and he can't argue it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2a9a4nil said:

This statement isn't true. The difference between DV and assault isn't the sex of the perpetrator or the victim, it's the situation. It's DV assault if it's on a family member or significant other. It's just assault if it's on someone outside that close circle of famiy/partner

Back on topic...2 arrests in a month, there'd have to be some overwhelming evidence in his favor for me to say he should not be cut whether he was on my team or another.

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":13a8pfgh said:
chris98251":13a8pfgh said:

This statement isn't true. The difference between DV and assault isn't the sex of the perpetrator or the victim, it's the situation. It's DV assault if it's on a family member or significant other. It's just assault if it's on someone outside that close circle of famiy/partner

Back on topic...2 arrests in a month, there'd have to be some overwhelming evidence in his favor for me to say he should not be cut whether he was on my team or another.

Ok you live here, Uncle Bob and women fight it's DV,

Uncle Bob and Me it's a fight and a assault.

Uncle Bob and a kid it's assault and child abuse.

It depends very much on the arresting officer how it is written up.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":o0smofrp said:

Glad they are equal, man will be charged almost every time yet we see the other side of the coin with harassment and discrimination also.

My Aunt would take a coffee cup (plastic) and hit herself and call the cops when she was pissed at her husband and said that at a family get together. She said she can mess up his world with a phone call, he hits her she calls, he don't she uses the coffee cup and calls, they take him either way and he can't argue it.

Two points -

First, do you apply this experiential skepticism to any other large group of demographics and if not, why not and if so why so? Think about how you treat populations with corrupted or phony individuals within a greater superset of individuals - this isn't to discredit the idea that there are bad faith actors in DV situations but the incredulousness seems reserved for entire demographics that you have seen individually acting in bad faith, which seems short sighted.

Secondly, I've seen a handful of same-sex DV cases in my own neighborhood - Capitol Hill. As the post above me states plainly it is the contextual situation and relationship between people that defines assault versus DV.