Richard Sherman Calls Concussion Protocol "Absolute Joke"

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3hkkt4es said:
kf3339":3hkkt4es said:
adeltaY":3hkkt4es said:
kf3339":3hkkt4es said:
Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.

So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.[/quote

Show me a construction worker who makes millions of dollars per year. That isn't even close to the same situation as professional athletics. No other profession can be compared to those parameters.

Injuries in construction are caused by mishaps and human error, not by normal courses of work. This isn't even a valid parallel. If you want to draw a parallel, look at soldiers in combat exposed to explosive ordinance and exhibiting CTE. Look at MMA fighters etc.

there are safeguards in place to limit human error and those are systemic in nature and thus comparable to this issue in the NFL.