Richard Sherman on Playing Receiver

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Richard-Sherman-Week-12-Press-Conference/52fd6ab5-cdfa-4a01-bc0e-887484cb46d7[/urltargetblank]

Above is a link to the video of the press conference. He was pretty funny today.

When asked about having played receiver in college and if he could play in the nfl, he talked about how great it would be because nobody would be allowed to touch him after 5 yards.

There was some pretty good stuff. He was even asked if Pete's ever asked him to play WR and he said no comment jokingly. At the end they ask if that no comment will spur rumors about that and he said he hopes so and that he also hopes it's quoting anonymous sources.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I know that interview was in jest, but by far the guy most suited to catching fades in the red zone is Richard Sherman. I love the idea of at least seeing what looks he forces from a defense. I bet the Cards would feel forced to move Peterson out on him.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I can actually understand why they've been reluctant to throw out there with all the injuries in the secondary but with Simon playing reasonably well and with Maxwell and Lane getting healthier. Plus, with the season on the ropes and practically win or go home, I can see the desperation from the coaching staff.

I think Sherman could be an elite Red Zone WR, be a 6-8 TD situational WR, not many DBs out there have his length or his ability to attack a jumpball, the guy also knows how to play like a defender which means a bad throw or deflection, Sherman can switch to CB mode in a fly and possibly prevent an INT.

The guy makes 11-12 mil per season (AAV), any added value that can help this team score points and win should be explored (if he has the skill and ability to contribute). It will only make his contract an even better investment in the long-run.

drdiags

Reaction score
I could see redzone, but don't see him as much of a threat on the outside in the middle of the field. At least with how low the passing numbers are currently. It couldn't hurt. Hopefully it will turn out better than when the coaches tried him at safety.

Watching that Rams/Denver game, too bad the team didn't take a flier on Britt here I could see why he went to the Rams and Fischer.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maybe they can use him for a few redzone plays. He's tall and can jump for high passes. So he could be the temporary tall target that is lacking currently in the WR dept in those situations.

A

Anonymous

Let's be real, if Sherman lines up on offense Arians will have penciled-in a scenario for it and there would be no way he'd let a pass be completed to him.

The only reason it worked by putting Watt in for his TD catch was because a 200lb DB would fall off him like rain. Sherman is tall, but is by no means un-coverable.

The ONLY reason he would go in would be to draw attention. If they actually threw to him, I'd probably unplug my TV and computer, as I would have seen it all.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3vfrwiiw said:
Let's be real, if Sherman lines up on offense Arians will have penciled-in a scenario for it and there would be no way he'd let a pass be completed to him.

The only reason it worked by putting Watt in for his TD catch was because a 200lb DB would fall off him like rain. Sherman is tall, but is by no means un-coverable.

The ONLY reason he would go in would be to draw attention. If they actually threw to him, I'd probably unplug my TV and computer, as I would have seen it all.
You are correct, but that in itself is a reason to do it. Sherman is unlikely to get hurt running an end zone fade, Arians is likely to put Peterson on him (and off our smaller guys Peterson would easily push around).

I think the most intoxicating aspect of this for us fans is the pure number of Sherman's interceptions that have come on those deep ball jump ball situations. He plays over his shoulder better than most receivers. I remember his first pick, when he ran AJ Frickin Green's route better than AJ Green.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
maybe even as a decoy? Whatever it takes, by whatever means necessary, we need to stop leaving 4 points off the board on these drives.

A

Anonymous

Scottemojo":30yeyavf said:
HoustonHawk82":30yeyavf said:

You are correct, but that in itself is a reason to do it. Sherman is unlikely to get hurt running an end zone fade, Arians is likely to put Peterson on him (and off our smaller guys Peterson would easily push around).

I think the most intoxicating aspect of this for us fans is the pure number of Sherman's interceptions that have come on those deep ball jump ball situations. He plays over his shoulder better than most receivers. I remember his first pick, when he ran AJ Frickin Green's route better than AJ Green.

Oh, there IS a salivation ratio here, no doubt.

If it'll happen, it'll be on a mid-field 2nd and 1-2.

What the hell, let's do it!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I think he could be used reverse scenario-like the Patriots used Troy Brown(WR) as a DB when injuries cause them to do so.
I like the idea of Sherm as a situational RZ target.

Foghawk

Reaction score
JMO, but I would have rather seen Richard on the other end of that 4th down fade pass than Doug last Sunday. I don't think he would have given up on it.