RIP Dick Butkus

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, growing up in Chicago, Butkus was in the Chicago HOF along with the likes of Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, Bobby Hull, Stan Makita, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Ernie Banks, etc... Legend. He was such a mean and nasty SOB who played the game as if it wasn't a game at all, but rather some life or death war of survival. When you think of all time great defensive players, I mean the very best of the HOFers, he's in that group. Nobody liked playing against him.
Absolutely! When I was a student at U.I., we sometimes wanted the opponent to get the ball so that we’d have one more chance to see Butkus smear some running back. He didn’t just tackle people. He wanted to rip their head off. There will never be anyone like Butkus.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
I'll always remember seeing him in NFL Films growing up. He truly defined an era and the position of MLB.

Here's the Hall of Fame's tribute to him.

He was also a fine actor as he had a small part in My Two Dads as the manager of the cafe at the building the family lives at. RIP, sir.

His nephew Luke also coached with us from 2010-2011. He now coaches for the Packers.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, growing up in Chicago, Butkus was in the Chicago HOF along with the likes of Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, Bobby Hull, Stan Makita, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Ernie Banks, etc... Legend. He was such a mean and nasty SOB who played the game as if it wasn't a game at all, but rather some life or death war of survival. When you think of all time great defensive players, I mean the very best of the HOFers, he's in that group. Nobody liked playing against him.
Here's some memorable quotes from Butkus:

Came in response to a Playboy reporter in 1970 while dealing major knee problems and a losing team. After being shut out 24-0 by the Vikings the reporter asks Butkus what do you get out of this miserable football this constant losing this frustrating loss, why do you continue to play?

"Hell. That's like asking a guy why he f***s."

Or this one:

I wouldnt ever set out to hurt someone deliberately unless it was, you know, important-like a league game or something.

NoGain

Reaction score
Here's some memorable quotes from Butkus:

Came in response to a Playboy reporter in 1970 while dealing major knee problems and a losing team. After being shut out 24-0 by the Vikings the reporter asks Butkus what do you get out of this miserable football this constant losing this frustrating loss, why do you continue to play?

"Hell. That's like asking a guy why he f***s."

Or this one:

I wouldnt ever set out to hurt someone deliberately unless it was, you know, important-like a league game or something.
I like that last one. LOL

I remember some center on some team remarking on how the football was always wet in Chicago. Then he finally found out why. He caught Butkus spitting on the football between plays.