Dick Sherman

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I don't think there is a current thread on this topic so I'm going to try this out. I was thinking about the best CBs to ever do it and I'm a huge Dick Sherman fan because I feel like he used intimidation through his words to set up his opportunities in the games. His recovery skills were legendary to the point where you think he may have been doing what you and I do in a turkey bowl game, play away and lay in wait. His ability to bring out the best in his teammates and understanding the WR routes through college also seemed like a great skill that not a lot of CBs have experienced. His public persona has been polarizing and I admit that I hated seeing him with the 9ers. However, his authenticity with backing up his words (despite foibles that get us all) and being a dedicated competitor who hated to lose, makes me think that he should be top ten all time!

PS I call him Dick because of Dick Nightrain Lane. I think they had the same attitude, and both used psychological skills in addition to the rest of their repertoire

I've been a Seahawks fan since I was 5 and my grandpa took me to the game! the last two decades have been the most amazing fun. I feel so much gratitude for the opportunity to be a fan of such a great organization!

sutz

Reaction score
Took me a minute. Nobody calls him "Dick." I even googled it and came up with some musical guy. :LOL:

rjdriver

Reaction score
Sherman by himself was good. Sherman in that legendary trio of DB's was incredible.
It takes losing something to appreciate it. Don't get me wrong. I knew we had something special when we had it, but I'm not sure I truly savored just how damn good that defense was when Sherman was shutting down the entire right side of the field. Sherman could take chances not many others could with ETIIII being able to close ground so closely. When there were small holes an offensive could exploit, Kam was there to punish for having found them.

Sherman's mouth was the ultimate arrival FU for all us fans of an organization completely discarded of any national attention and respect for most it's history. Damn that squad was good.

chrispy

Reaction score
...to film study and practice so completely you know when and where to tip a pass to a teammate is so "next-level" that the game may never see it again. His physical attributes probably rank him below average, but he used everything he had to propel his career to one of the greats. Rarely can I stomach an athlete's ghost-written money grab, but I hope Sherm writes a memoir and let's us inside someday soon.

Rosco

Reaction score
Sherman was a great scheme CB. He wasn’t a Champ Bailey,Deon Sanders or Darrell Green.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Nice post. It shows you have some good stuff to add as a contributor here.
I'm trying to figure out if you browse at late, late hours, or really, really early hours. LOL
Thanks for the encouragement. I am in the restaurant business, so my hours are all over the place. I'm excited to see this current class of rookie CBs. Hopefully, the rookies plus the vets will have the fire, instincts and intelligence to duplicate the 2011 developmental situation in the defensive backfield. It's not like Sherman was the starter out of the gate. That's probably already in another thread.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
the best CB is hawks history was Dave Brown. loved Sherm but brown was better.

Rosco

Reaction score
Not sure about Baily or Green but Sanders couldn't tackle a wet paper sack. I'd take Sherm every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Deon.
No he couldn’t,but he could shut down any side of the field or a teams best receiver.
Sherman didn’t cover a teams best receiver unless he lined up against Sherman.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
I'm putting Sherm over Brown only because the WR's are bigger and faster now. But Dave Brown was that dude. Much respect.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I do love Dave Brown. He was a shut down corner in his era. He wasn’t required to cover the same kind of intricate passing attacks that Sherman was. IMO
I also need to say that it’s pretty difficult to compare players from different eras so we are mostly left with conjecture and opinion.

Rosco

Reaction score
I do love Dave Brown. He was a shut down corner in his era. He wasn’t required to cover the same kind of intricate passing attacks that Sherman was. IMO
I also need to say that it’s pretty difficult to compare players from different eras so we are mostly left with conjecture and opinion.
Yeah, back in the day CBs could ride piggyback on WRs on routes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seahawks fan underrate how good Sherman was at his best. The system helped for sure but he was still as good as anyone has ever been imo for a 3-4 year period. Opposing players always mentioned him when discussing the greatness of the defense. I get it he did some weird stuff and his antics were annoying at times but I think it causes people to overlook how special he was. Every advanced stat puts him in all time great company.