Rooting for the Cardinals or the 49ers to win NFC West

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":hdbn4s6x said:
And how many of those whiner titles came before free agency and the salary cap? Different league now. Can you imagine that 2013 team with no cap, no free agency, and the world's richest owner?

That's just the dumbest thing ever.

I don't claim the 5 rings as if they are relevant now, but claiming it was somehow easier because there was no salary cap is just ludicrous. I'm willing to bet you weren't even a football fan when those seasons took place.

You are correct that there was no salary cap and owners could pay whatever they wanted, but what is ALSO true is that there was NO FREE AGENCY. There was no going and getting the best free agents and there was no over paying to keep people because nobody could leave unless released.

That means teams were build via the draft and trades.

The 49ers stars of the 80s and 90s were DRAFTED (or traded for, like Steve Young).

The salary cap was instituted SPECIFICALLY to control spending in a Free Agent world and stop a team from being the Yankees.

What you are also ignoring is that the players who were on the 5 49ers championship teams were radically different. Jerry Rice wasn't on the team for their first 2. Steve young was the QB of the 5th. They had different RBs throughout: Patton/Cooper, Tyler/Craig, Craig/Rathman x2, Watters/Floyd. WRs went from Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon to Jerry Rice and John Taylor. Defense changed dramatically. Pass rushers from Fred Dean to Charles Haley.

There is no question it was easier to keep a team together, but it was FAR harder to assemble the team to begin with and remain great with low draft picks and no free agency.

There are alot of teams who got good for awhile, but only ONE team won 5 rings in a single era with multiple starting casts.

None of this is to claim some relevancy over anything today or to imply one franchise better than the other, but dismissing the rings because they were prior to the salary cap is just stupid.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":2oa7ltbp said:
TAB420":2oa7ltbp said:
And how many of those whiner titles came before free agency and the salary cap? Different league now. Can you imagine that 2013 team with no cap, no free agency, and the world's richest owner?

I don't claim the 5 rings as if they are relevant now, but claiming it was somehow easier because there was no salary cap is just ludicrous. I'm willing to bet you weren't even a football fan when those seasons took place.

You are correct that there was no salary cap and owners could pay whatever they wanted, but what is ALSO true is that there was NO FREE AGENCY. There was no going and getting the best free agents and there was no over paying to keep people because nobody could leave unless released.

The 49ers stars of the 80s and 90s were DRAFTED (or traded for, like Steve Young).

The salary cap was instituted SPECIFICALLY to control spending in a Free Agent world and stop a team from being the Yankees.

What you are also ignoring is that the players who were on the 5 49ers championship teams were radically different. Jerry Rice wasn't on the team for their first 2. Steve young was the QB of the 5th. They had different RBs throughout: Patton/Cooper, Tyler/Craig, Craig/Rathman x2, Watters/Floyd. WRs went from Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon to Jerry Rice and John Taylor. Defense changed dramatically. Pass rushers from Fred Dean to Charles Haley.

There is no question it was easier to keep a team together, but it was FAR harder to assemble the team to begin with and remain great with low draft picks and no free agency.

There are alot of teams who got good for awhile, but only ONE team won 5 rings in a single era with multiple starting casts.

None of this is to claim some relevancy over anything today or to imply one franchise better than the other, but dismissing the rings because they were prior to the salary cap is just stupid.

Edward DeBartolo wasn't really playing within the rules either............. But thats ok.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":1p1r30ih said:
TAB420":1p1r30ih said:

I never said you wrote it. I said it's how we got to where we're at.

TAB420

Reaction score
chris98251":2weg6hj0 said:
Marvin49":2weg6hj0 said:
TAB420":2weg6hj0 said:

Edward DeBartolo wasn't really playing within the rules either............. But thats ok.
Sorry but you will never convince me that the salary cap and free agency doesn't make it harder to keep players. Weren't the niners under investigation for paying their players under the table after the salary cap was but into place? Maybe that was just a rumon.

9er4life

Reaction score
TAB420":3vqbu75i said:
Marvin49":3vqbu75i said:
TAB420":3vqbu75i said:
Marvin49":3vqbu75i said:
.....always seems odd to me that some people need to puff our their chest over an accomplishment like that.

I mean, you don't see me bragging about the Niner win streak against the Rams. I mean hell, it could easily end this week.

Does the fact that Wilson and the Seahawks have played very well against the Niners in his tenure somehow make you a more knowledgeable fan or have better points to share?

I mean it works both ways. Equally as weird when niner fans talk about the rings...but what about that success has ANYTHING to do with Mac (not Mack) Jones or Trey Lance?
Maybe it's because this is a Seahawk board...hmm.

....so you are implying that using irrational arguments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand and is nothing more than puffing up your chest about something entirely irrelevant to the conversation is because....

....you are a Seahawks fan on a Seahawks board?

You might want to spend a bit more time on that one.
No...here's how it goes down. A niner fan comes on to a Seahawks board talking smack about our record. He is reminded that two of those victories came from said Niners. Then that niner fan starts bringing up championships from 20 years ago and so on. This is amplified by another niner fan taking shots at our GM and so on. That is how we got here. We put up with a lot from niner fans and sometimes they have to be reminded of some things, like their 4 victories in 21 meetings. I got suspended at the denial zone for referring to a wide receiver as Crap Tree. Maybe we should get that strict around here. There's an old saying "don't start nothing, won't be nothing ". Take it for what it's worth.

You should reread post in this thread. Go to post #11, Sports 1st in this thread. Then tell us again how the 9er fan brought up previous Super Bowl wins.

As a matter of fact no 9er fans even posted in this thread until after his.

TAB420

Reaction score
9er4life":3vs8durf said:
TAB420":3vs8durf said:
Marvin49":3vs8durf said:
TAB420":3vs8durf said:
Maybe it's because this is a Seahawk board...hmm.

....so you are implying that using irrational arguments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand and is nothing more than puffing up your chest about something entirely irrelevant to the conversation is because....

....you are a Seahawks fan on a Seahawks board?

You might want to spend a bit more time on that one.
No...here's how it goes down. A niner fan comes on to a Seahawks board talking smack about our record. He is reminded that two of those victories came from said Niners. Then that niner fan starts bringing up championships from 20 years ago and so on. This is amplified by another niner fan taking shots at our GM and so on. That is how we got here. We put up with a lot from niner fans and sometimes they have to be reminded of some things, like their 4 victories in 21 meetings. I got suspended at the denial zone for referring to a wide receiver as Crap Tree. Maybe we should get that strict around here. There's an old saying "don't start nothing, won't be nothing ". Take it for what it's worth.

You should reread post in this thread. Go to post #11, Sports 1st in this thread. Then tell us again how the 9er fan brought up previous Super Bowl wins.

As a matter of fact no 9er fans even posted in this thread until after his.
And maybe you should reread where I wrote on our board. I didn't say on this thread. Infact, the first one was in reference to the thread about Jimmy's glass thumb.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":2u75kzz1 said:
Marvin49":2u75kzz1 said:
TAB420":2u75kzz1 said:

What rules?

What pre-salary cap rules did he break that made them champions? What free agents did he sign when there was no free agency? What players did he draft that weren't available to every other team?

Its nice to throw out comments like that with zero verifiable information, but at least make an argument that makes sense. Please...tell me...what rules were there that he broke in those years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":68fcapyb said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/news/amp/NFL-probing-49ers-for-salary-cap-violations-3308679.php?espv=1

Seriously?

You can't be this dense.

The article is about SALARY CAP VIOLATIONS and the conversation is about PRE-salary cap rings.

Is this too difficult a concept?

TAB420

Reaction score

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":rjyhuhpu said:
Marvin49":rjyhuhpu said:
TAB420":rjyhuhpu said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate.com/news/amp/NFL-probing-49ers-for-salary-cap-violations-3308679.php?espv=1

Seriously?

You can't be this dense.

The article is about SALARY CAP VIOLATIONS and the conversation is about PRE-salary cap rings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercur ... mp/?espv=1

Wow...you really are this dense.

1) That had nothing to do with the team
2) The riverboat thing was three years AFTER the salary cap was put in place...and still doesn;t answer the question.

All of your posts are basically just noise.

Let me try to make this simple.

Tell me what rules were broken pre salary cap to build those championship teams.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zf6jqat said:
TAB420":1zf6jqat said:
Marvin49":1zf6jqat said:
TAB420":1zf6jqat said:

Seriously?

You can't be this dense.

2) The riverboat thing was three years AFTER the salary cap was put in place...and still doesn;t answer the question.

Tell me what rules were broken pre salary cap to build those championship teams.
I mean this is the header of the story. "NFL probing 49ers for salary cap violations". Also, I was answeing the question you ask the obove poster on how Eddie was supposedly cheating. You know Marvin, I've noticed lately that you are starting to attract people on a personal level here. If you can't debate and be civil maybe you should leave.Maybe we should all just head this off and block you.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":2bhyxof7 said:
Marvin49":2bhyxof7 said:
TAB420":2bhyxof7 said:
Marvin49":2bhyxof7 said:
Seriously?

You can't be this dense.

I mean this is the header of the story. "NFL probing 49ers for salary cap violations". Also, I was answeing the question you ask the obove poster on how Eddie was supposedly cheating. You know Marvin, I've noticed lately that you are starting to attract people on a personal level here. If you can't debate and be civil maybe you should leave.

bro.

I asked the poster what rules were they breaking PRE SALARY CAP. The POINT of the question was that there were no rules to break so how could he have been breaking rules?

You are posting articles about post salary cap investigations.

So...

...how is that on topic?

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":87k4echy said:
Marvin49":87k4echy said:
TAB420":87k4echy said:
Marvin49":87k4echy said:
Seriously?

You can't be this dense.

I mean this is the header of the story. "NFL probing 49ers for salary cap violations". Also, I was answeing the question you ask the obove poster on how Eddie was supposedly cheating. You know Marvin, I've noticed lately that you are starting to attract people on a personal level here. If you can't debate and be civil maybe you should leave.Maybe we should all just head this off and block you.

I see you did an edit and now want to block me.

Please do.

In the meantime...you still haven't answered the question. Sounds a whole lot more like you are now "offended" because you are wrong and have no other recourse.

9er4life

Reaction score
Marvin49":3cbvof8t said:
TAB420":3cbvof8t said:
Marvin49":3cbvof8t said:
TAB420":3cbvof8t said:

Please do.

In the meantime...you still haven't answered the question. Sounds a whole lot more like you are now "offended" because you are wrong and have no other recourse.

But he's a 6'5" 255 lb ginger, you can't hurt him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
9er4life":2pt1em69 said:
Marvin49":2pt1em69 said:
TAB420":2pt1em69 said:
Marvin49":2pt1em69 said:

Please do.

But he's a 6'5" 255 lb ginger, you can't hurt him.
Didn’t you claim something like that under your previous personality’s?
I’m mean you always wanted to “meet up” and all.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Lol, 49ers fans are the most delusional fan base in the league. They once claimed Garoppolo was their savior after the 5 game win streak in 2017 against subpar opponents and a Rams team playing it like a preseason game.

Now Trey Lance is their savior. A kid who played less than 20 college games for a small school. Gave up all those picks and coulda had the better quarterback if they stood pat.

Not to mention they still cling to their accomplishments from last century. Back when they still had hair. :lol: