Rumor: Max Unger expected to be released (per ESPN radio)

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5k5rjan7 said:
austinslater25":5k5rjan7 said:
I would be all for signing him if the price is right.
This. But regardless we need to either do something big in FA or the draft about the interior OL before it shortens Russ' s career. Lynch we can replace easily. Wilson? No way, he's a generational level talent. The only elite level quarterback this franchise has ever had.

Define "easily"?

DJrmb

Reaction score
1. Yes I'd take him back for a stop gap solution or even a backup solution to whatever else we do.

2. Does this finally prove that the Unger/Graham trade was not "bone headed"? :stirthepot:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle needs to improve in the interior OL and the DL.

If price is right, not many FA options out there who would be as familiar with scheme. Unger was a leader for this team and respected. Seattle has had issues with bringing outsiders into the locker room. Unger would not have those issues.

All about the dollars I'd think.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bring back Max. Bring back Browner. Sign some young and hungry up and comers. Draft the hell out of the oline and dline.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3rh8agzr said:
MizzouHawkGal":3rh8agzr said:
austinslater25":3rh8agzr said:
This. But regardless we need to either do something big in FA or the draft about the interior OL before it shortens Russ' s career. Lynch we can replace easily. Wilson? No way, he's a generational level talent. The only elite level quarterback this franchise has ever had.

Define "easily"?

Easily: already done with an undrafted free agent.

massari

Reaction score
McGruff":1urvxt2u said:
Bring back Max. Bring back Browner. Sign some young and hungry up and comers. Draft the hell out of the oline and dline.
^ This.

If the rumors are true, I'm guessing since no team made a trade for Unger with 1 year 6M left on his contract, it'd probably take 4M-5M APY to sign him? 3 years 12M maybe? Vet minimum for Browner would be nice.

Seems like the perfect year to load up on the OL/DL in the draft.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If they could bring back Unger, all would be almost forgiven.

If they brought back Unger and Browner? I would throw a party. Not exaggerating.

Exittium

Reaction score
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:
TwistedHusky":2gj2oi06 said:

If they brought back Unger and Browner? I would throw a party. Not exaggerating.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Saints shedding contracts. Jahri Evans first to fall. Might be some teeth to the Unger rumors.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
JSeahawks":34xe3x5j said:
Mistashoesta":34xe3x5j said:
MizzouHawkGal":34xe3x5j said:
austinslater25":34xe3x5j said:

Define "easily"?

Easily: already done with an undrafted free agent.

Right. Because your able to tell at this current time that he will return back to form 100% and run same way he did? Because your able to tell at this current time that he is a for sure thing given his extremely small sample size? I love Rawls as much as the next guy/gal but to crown him the "successful" successor of ML already seems a bit premature.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":9bbshw38 said:
Right. Because your able to tell at this current time that he will return back to form 100% and run same way he did? Because your able to tell at this current time that he is a for sure thing given his extremely small sample size? I love Rawls as much as the next guy/gal but to crown him the "successful" successor of ML already seems a bit premature.

Nobody knows if Rawls' success will continue, and that's true for every player. Career ending injuries happen all the time, but Rawls already successfully succeeded Lynch when Marshawn had to have surgery this season. He's proven he can play in this league. Rawls or not, we still need to bring in another young back, but that's less of a priority than shoring up the offensive line. Even if we were to say that we are fine with it the way it is (I'm not saying that), we still have guys who will be free agents.

Okung will be an UFA

Sweezy will be an UFA

Bailey will be a RFA

LJP will be an UFA

Each of these guys saw substantial playing time this season, and we don't have the depth to cover them all and keep Wilson safe.

Whether we keep any of these guys or let them all go or somewhere in between, we definitely need to concentrate on the Offensive Line this off season.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2lln8a4y said:
timmat":2lln8a4y said:
Did NO teach him to snap the ball straight? If not, no thanks in Seattle. His snaps were a circus for years.

Overplayed . . . a total of two fumbled snaps over 91 games in Unger's career, including zero last season with the Saints. He has had the occasional awkward shotgun snap, but it's never been a serious issue.

It wasn't a serious issue? Then why did the Seahawks get rid of him? I recall Russell almost needing to dive for MOST shotgun snaps he got from Unger. His snaps were always low and right if I recall.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
rideaducati":2tf4w7fl said:
hawknation2016":2tf4w7fl said:
timmat":2tf4w7fl said:
Did NO teach him to snap the ball straight? If not, no thanks in Seattle. His snaps were a circus for years.

Overplayed . . . a total of two fumbled snaps over 91 games in Unger's career, including zero last season with the Saints. He has had the occasional awkward shotgun snap, but it's never been a serious issue.

It wasn't a serious issue? Then why did the Seahawks get rid of him? I recall Russell almost needing to dive for MOST shotgun snaps he got from Unger. His snaps were always low and right if I recall.

They didn't just "get rid of him." The Saints needed to clear $8.5 million in salary cap space by trading away Jimmy Graham, and they needed a starting center. Allowing the Saints to acquire Unger was a prerequisite of the trade.

Carroll was clear about the very real tradeoff that occurred in losing Unger, but the hope was (and continues to be) that Graham will make it all worth it in the end.

If the Seahawks can somehow get Unger back on a reduced contract, while keeping Graham and having already used that 4th Rounder as part of the deal that led to drafting Tyler Lockett, then it turns into an A+ trade.

I'm just not confident that the Saints will choose to release Unger. It sounds like empty speculation at this point. It is true they are still in salary cap hell, but their decision to release Jahri Evans instead makes me think they will keep Unger afterall, which is really too bad. The Seahawks need a real center.

Throwdown

Reaction score
We barely had Unger when he was here, getting Graham for him and a first was a win, specially when we weren't going to keep him around.

I wouldn't have a problem with him coming back and competing for the center spot with Patrick Lewis.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Throwdown":1qt11067 said:
We barely had Unger when he was here, getting Graham for him and a first was a win, specially when we weren't going to keep him around.

I wouldn't have a problem with him coming back and competing for the center spot with Patrick Lewis.

Re: not keeping Unger around, even if he was not part of the Graham trade. That's just empty speculation with nothing to back it up. Unger has proven to be a good center in this league, while Lewis is just a guy. Unger played pretty damn well in 75 games as a starter for the Seahawks. And Unger started all 16 games for New Orleans this past season.

Hypothetically, if Unger was released by the Saints and re-signed by the Seahawks, it would only be a "competition" with Lewis to the extent that every position is considered a competition under Carroll's philosophy. It would be like the equivalent of Cassius Marsh "competing" with Cliff Avril.

I do agree with you that the trade was a win because I think Graham has a chance to become a unique receiving weapon in this offense. Now that Wilson has had an opportunity to develop their connection, it's just a matter of Darrell Bevell getting out of his own way and using Graham like the big outside receiving threat that he is.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Even if the price isn't quite right, I say get him back. We need some solid options up front while we continue to groom these younger guys. We can't keep putting a franchise QB behind rookies and reclamation projects.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Throwdown":2udry6wd said:

Throw is right here. Clayton and others have said he would of been gone at his salary and injuries mounting up so being able to move him was a plus.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2vyc1hij said:

You must have not watched a lot of Browner last year. He needs to move to safety in the worst way.

NINEster

Reaction score
If Unger is an FA, I'm sure SF would consider pursuing him as well.

About time we get something out of the Hawk/Niner exchange program. :thirishdrinkers:

WillSaints81

Reaction score
Wow, I am just amazed by all of this. First off, the offensive line is the most important thing to the saints. And Evans was cut because someone who was underperforming or injury prone had to go. Strief is a better leader also so he stays so far. The saints are getting rid of the players that so far contributed less to the defense and oline this year.

Hate to burst your bubbles but Unger will be staying with us.