Rumor: Seahawks talking to Giants about Kam trade

sc85sis

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1ca2jcl9 said:
I'm surprised we are still talking about Kam ....it's clear that he's not 100% healthy.....just consider him Jason Pierre Paul 2.0....

Now it's not a fireworks accident with Kam, but JPP didn't report to the Giants until this weekend, after holding the Giants off for 2 months....he's now placed the team in a place where they need to make a quick and somewhat uninformed decision on whether to play him or not....they haven't seen JPP's hand to know what range of motion or strength he has and they desperately need to play him vs. Dallas, even at 65%, he's better than what they have.

Fast forward to Kam.....he HAS to pass a physical examination of his entire body (knee specifically), when he reports.....he doesn't have to pass or have any physical examinations sitting at home in VA.

The difference, if any with Marshawn was he eventually reported once the team started moving on his added year to his contract and raise, which he actually deserved. Lynch reported, passed him physical and didn't sit in Oakland, waiting for someone to guess on his healthy status.....ate some skittles and showed up ready to work.

Kam is different, he needed to heal up and gets as close to 100% as possible, while giving the team little chance to evaluate him vs playing him. If he reported today, he'd potentially play at worse vs Green Bay, despite not getting another dollar....there's an outside chance he'd play Sunday in St. Louis.

IF you traded Kam for a pick or player or combo of whatever his value is, he has to then immediately report and pass that team's physical....if he flunks the physical, the deal is then cancelled and then Kam's value goes from whatever little leverage he has to ZERO. He would be then recorded as a damaged player.

If he reports, the Seahawks are not going to publically disgrace him by placing him on the PUP list, they will play him and let the player earn his money. The question is what type of performance will he provide to determine whether he can hold up beyond this year. If he's not healthy and is the Kam with turf toe of a couple of years ago, he's not worth the 4.55M he's earning this year. Kam knows that and Seattle's Front office and Pete knows that as well.

The discussion is this and nothing else. Kam is clearly not 100%....if he was, performed and passed his physical, the front office can then evaluate and determine that he's not getting another guaranteed dollar, because he may (I stress MAY), be physically breaking down or not the same player we are used to. If Seattle evaluates his knee in late July 2015 and determines he may be best suited for sitting out, then he would be placing himself under the microscope of not this year, but what additional money can Kam capture beyond this year.

Kam is fighting for his earnings beyond this year. I think he believes that as much time off, extends his career. He played extremely hard, while anyone else would and perhaps should have shut it down, after tearing his ligament in the Friday before the Super Bowl. He may believe he earned additional money, playing at clearly less than 70%.

If Kam can get healthy this year and sacrifices 4 to 6 game checks and buys himself time through September, he's then healthier for the stretch run, where he is really needed. Playing 19 games at the pace he plays, is difficult and takes a toll physically. If he can reduce that to 9 to 10 games plus playoffs, perhaps he extends his playing career by another couple of years, whether here or elsewhere.

But to state he is selfish, just isn't true....he's playing it smart....it's his career and money at stake and realistically, he is of no use to Seattle if he's not healthy in December and January, not September or October. Let him sit and avoid being placed on the PUP list by reporting in July.....
He didn't appear to be hurt during OTAs and said he felt the best he had in years.

chris98251

Reaction score
So much information and opinions, can someone take the time to do a summery so we can fit it into one post? :)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Summary: Kam has three years left on his current contract. The contract was front-loaded with the guaranteed money. He feels he should get a new deal. The Hawks disagree. Both sides have dug their heels in. Fans are getting really PO'd now that it looks like Kam may actually miss games.

This entire situation sucks for all involved.

chris98251

Reaction score
sc85sis":3npp7uo9 said:
Summary: Kam has three years left on his current contract. The contract was front-loaded with the guaranteed money. He feels he should get a new deal. The Hawks disagree. Both sides have dug their heels in. Fans are getting really PO'd now that it looks like Kam may actually miss games.

Wins thread and now nobody has to read 9 other pages :)

OkieHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1u7j2gvb said:
sc85sis":1u7j2gvb said:

Delete all other posts and lock this thread. Dead horse is still dead.

Exittium

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3h9k6en6 said:
Really? Well, you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night then.

At this point I'm of the mind that Chancellor has got to have taken issue with something that was said by someone, somewhere. Could have been the locker room or the meeting room, but a coach or player must have overheard or been privy to something that got back to him. He didn't like it.

I know I'm speculating, but I can't help feeling that way. The speak-softly, carry of big stick types tend to do a lot of listening and things get pent up. A grudge is a plausible scenario the more I think about it.

I tend to believe this more, due to the fact he showed up for OTAs and the holdout was more sudden.

Cartire

Reaction score
chris98251":2jgub69i said:
So much information and opinions, can someone take the time to do a summery so we can fit it into one post? :)

65% - Are people mad at Kam and bewildered this is even a thing
13% - Are people discussing possible scenarios on how this could end.
11% - Are people trying to dissect Kams brain and figure out what hes thinking.
9% - Are arguing about the finer details of a contract thats available online for anyone to see (and have been posted both in links and copied here)
2% - Are post like these
Time for this thread to light up a blunt and smoke away the anxiety and stress.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dont mind my last two posts above, I was just revelating the fact that hawknations post was #420 in the thread or I was the 420th reply.

So what I wrote was in jest of that not particularly telling people on edge just to smoke up and deal with the Kam issues that way.

Even though they could.

A

Anonymous

OkieHawk":208o7047 said:
chris98251":208o7047 said:
sc85sis":208o7047 said:

Okie, please.

The meme...

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":an83cqce said:
Dont mind my last two posts above, I was just revelating the fact that hawknations post was #420 in the thread or I was the 420th reply.

So what I wrote was in jest of that not particularly telling people on edge just to smoke up and deal with the Kam issues that way.

Even though they could.

Trust me, I took your suggestion literally, aside from the wrap. RAW papers if I'm not using a vape or glass. That's also if I'm not consuming concentrates, which I have my E-Nail heating up as I type this.

Anyway, I honestly don't know where I stand just yet. While I'm extremely disappointed that this is happening with multiple years on Kam's contract, I also don't know all relevant information and find it a bit difficult to start venting about it. I guess I'm just of the mindset that I really hope Dion Bailey steps up and does well, but am expecting some rough patches early on (I'm sure like anyone else). As mentioned, I have a feeling that Kam wants more guarantees because he's starting to see his body break down and wants to secure his & his family's future even more than he already has; Likely expecting to hang up the cleats once this contract expires. I'm just curious how long it's going to take before he realizes that Seattle isn't going to fold and he's doing nothing but giving away that same security every week...

I don't want to doom Seattle by throwing out my "out of left field" hypothetical on what would make the organization reconsider their stance, and then have it come to fruition and be stoned to death by everyone here on .NET (although, I am stoned on .NET now & very much alive). I'll just have to continue checking online hourly for news/updates, unfortunately.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":253awcwq said:
OkieHawk":253awcwq said:
chris98251":253awcwq said:
sc85sis":253awcwq said:

Okie, please.

The meme...

I don't do meme's in unshacked forums. It's really safer for all that way.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2ua0mujl said:
themunn":2ua0mujl said:
Kam signed a contract when he was one of the top strong safeties in the game. But we're here 2 years later and he's no longer one of the top guys, he is the guy that is way ahead by a considerable distance.

Now Chancellor is in the exact opposite scenario where he is definitely outplaying his contract. ".

I cut down the quote without altering the meaning (at least that is not my intention) but I want to zero in on these two things

1) It is not 2 years later. It is one played season under that contract. He has played one out of four years. 25%

He agreed to a $5million signing bonus - they forget about that money later

2) I am 100% with the players that WAY outperform their contract, but there isn't a guy in this league that makes $6million that is asked to take a cut to $5million and says yes. They can get the $6million elsewhere.

If you are making minimum and playing as an all-star or being paid like an all-star and playing like a minimum player then you get a new contract / get cut.

When you just signed a new contract that pays you fairly or CLOSE to fairly then you need to play more than one season.
They can NOT "Get That Money Elswhere" if the team doesn't cut him free, he's in a vacuum.
That's exactly where I'd keep him too.
If Kam is okay with blowing up the team that signed him to an AGREED contract, that he agreed and SIGNED, I wouldn't cave to his tantrum, and in fact?, I would point out to him that he is screwing up his career by riding the sofa cushions.
The hard feelings that are going down, are of Kam Chancellor's own doing.

chris98251

Reaction score
tumblr_lhpu3rrOkp1qhxr17o1_250.gif~c200

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Is there a thread anywhere that actually talks about The defense will be like without Kam on the field? I find that much more interesting than his contract restructure. It's like taking away Willis in his prime an healthy.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":4g32uo51 said:
Is there a thread anywhere that actually talks about The defense will be like without Kam on the field? I find that much more interesting than his contract restructure. It's like taking away Willis in his prime an healthy.

Interestingly enough when that happened it gave opportunity first for Navarro Bowman to shine, and later for Chris Borland to almost win DROY. A large part of that was because of the quality of the surrounding players.

You drop Bailey in the Giants defense and its probably ugly. You drop Bailey in the middle of Earl, SHerman, Wagner, Wright, Irvin, KPL, Avvril, Bennett, Bane, Clark, Hill and Marsh and you've got a completely different look.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cartire":u28whlz9 said:
Kam is being fined 250,000 right now for breech of contract. He has the RIGHT to hold out. But its not an option in the contract, and therefor, he is incurring fines and losing out on the money the contract would pay out to him. Pretty simple.

Holding out isnt an option in the contract.

I dont quite understand why you are fighting everyone on his contract. Its not open for interpretation. Its math.

The problem, as I see it, and it comes up ALL THE TIME in these discussions, is that folks have the habit of applying a broad definition of "contract" to teams and a narrow definition of "contract" to players, or vice-versa.

If you want to apply the broad definition to teams you have to also do it with players, and holding out in the broad definition of contract IS part of the contract, as there are formal and legal rules about what happens and doesn't happen when a player holds out.

TEAM NARROW DEFINITION: NFL teams as a matter of daily business almost never honor the monetary payment of contracts as they are written.

TEAM BROAD DEFINITION: This lack of honoring monetary payment schedules (particularly toward the back end of contracts) is WRITTEN INTO the contracts themselves and the agreement with the NFLPA, which is why we have guaranteed money and non-guaranteed money, and why teams are still on the hook for "future" bonus money even if a player is cut.

PLAYER NARROW DEFINITION: This is what you're arguing for above.

PLAYER BROAD DEFINITION: Rather than being a traditional "breech of contract" which would have to be settled in court, the situation of holdouts is legally and literally WRITTEN INTO contracts and agreement with the NFLPA. Contract rules and regulatons are already in place for this situation, just as is the case when we apply the "broad definition" to teams.

Long story short, people who tend to support players in these matters tend to apply a NARROW definition of contracts to teams and a BROAD definition of contracts to players, whereas people who tend to support teams in these matters (as you're doing) tend to apply a BROAD definition of contracts to teams and a NARROW definition of contracts to players.

If you want to apply a BROAD definition for teams you need to also do so for players, and that means that you don't get to start talking about breech of contract until the hypothetical scenario in which Kam is gone and refuses to return his bonus money (in which case we'd have a real breech of contract even by the universally applied broad definition of contract and that case could be settled in court).

themunn

Reaction score
Exactly the point I was in the middle of making last night before the thread oddly disappeared (figured it had been deleted).

The only way Kam will be in breach of his contract for holding out is if the team doesn't waive his fines and he refuses to pay them.

Latest posts