Russ owe Bevel, Marty, and now Hacket big time.

Torc

Reaction score

BamKam

Reaction score
No he wasn’t. He looked pretty mediocre everywhere he went.
He had some good years here. He won’t be remember as a great OC and it WAS time to move on when the Seahawks did. Still doesn’t take away he wasn’t nearly as bad as people made him out to be at the end of his tenure.

olyfan63

Reaction score
When Bevell threw Lockette under the bus after SB49 that was a fireable offense and Pete failed to act on his values. "Protect the team".

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russell certainly got Hackett fired. With a QB that could actually run an NFL offense, Hackett was actually decent. Recall the Indy game where KJ Hamler threw his helmet at the turf in frustration after Russell didn't even look at his primary read that would have been the game-winner?

Hackett's major fault was being too late to realize Me3 can't run a real NFL offense like the one Hackett wanted to run, and not being faster to schitt-can all that and run the "Russell Wilson offense" or benching Russell for a QB who can run an NFL offense. Hackett trying to be too positive and too nice cost him big time. The Broncos needed a Mike Ditka type that would have held Russell accountable and benched him. Hackett probably didn't feel he had the mandate to do that.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Hackett's major fault was being too late to realize Me3 can't run a real NFL offense like the one Hackett wanted to run, and not being faster to schitt-can all that and run the "Russell Wilson offense" or benching Russell for a QB who can run an NFL offense. Hackett trying to be too positive and too nice cost him big time. The Broncos needed a Mike Ditka type that would have held Russell accountable and benched him. Hackett probably didn't feel he had the mandate to do that.
Hackett didn't have that kind of power. There was no way out of this for him except to be fired.

Denver's next coach might have that pull depending on how this offseason goes, but Russ had too much juice in the dynamic with Hackett/ownership.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hackett didn't have that kind of power. There was no way out of this for him except to be fired.

Denver's next coach might have that pull depending on how this offseason goes, but Russ had too much juice in the dynamic with Hackett/ownership.
And to think, all the posters here who wanted to keep Russell and ditch Pete... good thing Jody made the right call on that one.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
And to think, all the posters here who wanted to keep Russell and ditch Pete... good thing Jody made the right call on that one.
Yeah, regardless of how you felt about Russ's play, what he expected the team to do for him was way beyond what was reasonable. Denver is seeing the results of what Russ wanted to stay here... but I actually do put some of the blame on Pete here. He didn't just protect Russ in terms of game planning. He probably set the stage for some of this type of behavior and Pete overly bought into it for a long time as well.

But at least he never went full Denver.

olyfan63

Reaction score
As in Schottenheimer? Or did you really mean his son Brian, past Seahawks OC?

EDIT: Now I get it. You are (correctly) questioning the use of "Marty" in the thread title, when it's "Brian" who should have been in it.
At first I thought you were jokingly "accusing" Cyrus12 of *being* Marty, lol.

Last edited:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Russ got all three fired and should be paying severance and healthcare for their families. That would be a Christian thing to do.
Assuming this is serious:

Bevell and Schottenheimer have been coaching at the NFL level for 20 years. They have made plenty of money and continues to make more because they continue to have jobs.

Hackett has about a decade's worth of NFL time. He made $4 million this year. It was a four year deal; as @Torc pointed out, he'll be paid the remainder of his three years after this year if he doesn't work, so probably another $12 million.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson had the protection of Pete in the don't let them pick on me and hurt my feelings with the team, is what divided the locker room, pissed off the defense, and probably had a lot to do with Lynch being disgruntled as well.

Now he is the Franchise and for worse or Better does not have anyone overshadowing him.

Here they tried to make him the Face, he worked hard on his Brand, but this was Kam's, Sherman's, Wagner's and Lynch's team hands down.