Russell listened to me last week!!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2sff2bot said:
Maybe this is why the offense seemed different on Sunday?

This is a great thread, lot of good stuff.

Anthony!, are you a big Catcher in the Rye fan? Have you ever wanted to get the attention of Jodi Foster?

Bugsy Malone was one of my favourite childhood films, so I grew up having a pretty big crush on her. Needless to say I was devastated to find out she didn't like boys. Still, I reckon I'd have a shot at turning her.

XOXO

Not John Hinckley Jr.

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":14gf1egu said:
pehawk":14gf1egu said:

Anthony!, are you a big Catcher in the Rye fan? Have you ever wanted to get the attention of Jodi Foster?

Bugsy Malone was one of my favourite childhood films, so I grew up having a pretty big crush on her. Needless to say I was devastated to find out she didn't like boys. Still, I reckon I'd have a shot at turning her.

XOXO

Not John Hinckley Jr.

You couldn't turn anyone in a women's prison, carrying cigarettes and pardons. It's not 1997, Hugh Grant has lost his luster.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":36qqr7mg said:
SomersetHawk":36qqr7mg said:
pehawk":36qqr7mg said:

XOXO

Not John Hinckley Jr.

You couldn't turn anyone in a women's prison, carrying cigarettes and pardons. It's not 1997, Hugh Grant has lost his luster.

Oh bugger off would you Pehawk. I could shag whoever I damn well please, and please who ever I damn well shag.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Anthony!":2rych3ak said:
Recon_Hawk":2rych3ak said:
Anthony!":2rych3ak said:
Recon_Hawk":2rych3ak said:
Russell made some very smart plays, buying time to scramble for positive yards or just plain getting rid of the ball. I still want to see him and the team handle situation ball better, though. They took two sacks on two separate drives which put them out of field goal range. Both were avoidable with a throwaway.

Ye sand if he throws it away you do not get those plays and may even get grounding penalties. I am still amazed at how you guys only want to nick pick on anything and everything. For everyone you want him to throw it away on he has 5 were he makes something happen.

There's not a football coach at any level that would think pointing out two mistakes that left 6 points off the board as nit-picking. Hell, I even gave him a compliment to open up this thought cause people like you can't even discuss any scrutiny of Russell without getting your panties in a bunch.

Because people like you cannot just say he had a great game and leave it like that, there is always a but.

He had a "good" game, but I wouldn't call it "Great". He missed some wide open easy throws, took 2 sacks that cost us 6 points, had one of is lower completion % games (not that big of a deal to me, he's the one that wanted 70% this year), and threw an easy Pick 6 that was dropped. Good thing it was dropped, or that's 12 points off of his mistakes alone. Guess what, we won by 10. The offense still has a lot of work to do, and Russ would be the first to say it, and I'd venture to say if he read this thread, he wouldn't be offended.

As for the OP, yea I'm guilty of yelling out the same thing. I'd agree with Recon Hawk though, in that I'm learning to balance yelling "get rid of it Russ!" to more situational football. Half the time I'm yelling "get rid of it" and half the time I end up saying something clever like "nevermind" or "well, yea, that works too" when he makes a great play.

Typically his really big plays come from him beating the blitz with his legs and either running or throwing it for a big gain. When teams rush 3 or 4, they can spy Russ and limit what he does.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1n3cc7kh said:
I motion that Anthony! be barred from commenting on any thread involving Russell Wilson or using the words "Russell Wilson" in any other discussion on this board.

Seconded.

timmat

Reaction score
I wish Russell would now listen to me - Please stop stiff-arming with your throwing hand. I noticed it a lot last week and this year overall as he's ran more. I love what he does with his feet. His ability to create makes him one of the most unique players we've seen. I don't ever want to see that taken out of his game. Yes, getting rid of the ball quicker, etc. would be nice at times as well. And please do keep scrambling and creating. But please,please, don't hurt a wrist or finger on your throwing hand trying to stiff-arm a monster D-lineman or linebacker. He's great at protecting himself from the big hit, but please do the same for that all important hand/fingers. I'm fine with losing a few yards to protect that hand.

kearly

Reaction score
I won't pretend to be an X's and O's guy, but I would be very disappointed if Pete decided to make our offense the Russell Wilson Magic show for the foreseeable future. Yes, it's a talent Wilson possesses and yes it is difficult to defend, but it's not 100% consistent. Further, I personally believe that Wilson with his polish, veteran nuances and work ethic is capable of so much more.

Heading into the Dallas game, Wilson was nearly leading the NFL in passer rating, he was around 114 or something like that. We may have hated the bubble screens and some of the gadgetry of that early season offense, but for a solid month, Wilson was extremely efficient running it. Then drama started happening, Wilson clearly lost his focus, and he had a rough stretch as a result.

When a QB is struggling, it's coaching 101 to go back to the basics with him until he gets his mojo back. That's what Pete did with Wilson, reverting to a 2012 style of offense about a month ago (with a few key differences, but the gist of the late 2014 and late 2012 offenses are the same). I think this is smart coaching. But I don't think we should limit Wilson to such an oversimplified offense in the long term.

We have seen some real growth from Wilson this year, but it's been masked by a brutal stretch in the middle of the season where he developed erratic accuracy issues. Wilson has shown real progress in the short passing game, passing over the middle, and passing to beat the blitz. He still has a long ways to go, but there have been baby steps this season.

I think that if Seattle gets a QB guru OC and a Brandon Marshall type receiver, Wilson could grow into a devastatingly good traditional QB. That can also make magic happen when he needs to. I am now completely certain that Bevell will never be the guy to get Wilson there. I don't think Bevell sucks, but I do think he might be the worst kind of OC, the one that holds his team back but isn't quite bad enough to be fired (and not quite good enough to get hired away). He's the Andy Dalton of OCs.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Well put Kearly.

The other thing that I feel like a lot of people forget is that Wilson is getting older and will continue to get older and eventually lose of his quickness and elusiveness, thus making the development of a more traditional NFL passer all the more important. No one is saying that Russell has to become Peyton Manning and crumble into the fetal position at the first sign of an unblocked D-Lineman, but it would help him and the offense to learn how to better handle the hot read and blitzing. I don't know if it's a lack of the pre snap read, too much trust in the play calling, or what but I agree with OP, I'm often saying "get rid of it Russ" even before the snap as soon as I see that the defense is bringing a blitz. We did a much better job of that this last game and I hope growth in that area continues.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":3hs9q8r7 said:
I think that if Seattle gets a QB guru OC and a Brandon Marshall type receiver, Wilson could grow into a devastatingly good traditional QB.

Jay Cutler disagrees with this statement.

I know everyone geeks for Trestman. What has he done with that offense loaded with two #1 WRs, an elite TE, an elite RB, a fantastic O-line and a big-armed QB? His offense is #14 DVOA, #13 DVOA in passing, #16 in points per drive, #18 in points, #18 in yards. By what metric has he been better than Seattle's staff with his superior skill talent? The Chicago fan base, by and large, despises his play calling.

Seattle is #5 offense DVOA (#5!), #12 in passing, #9 in points per drive, #11 in points, #11 in yards.

The only other "QB guru" in the league is in San Francisco. I hear that's not working out too well either.

pehawk

Reaction score
Well well, a job just opened up that'd be perfect for Mr Bevell. And it's a perfect way for Team Sarlacc and Team iRo to rachet down their troop levels, sign a peace treaty, with each side being able to claim victory.

Russell and all of us strongly encourage your opportunity, Mr Bevell. We'll be fine! Thanks for the memories...

XOXO

Brooks Bollinger

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2uxa2iho said:
I won't pretend to be an X's and O's guy, but I would be very disappointed if Pete decided to make our offense the Russell Wilson Magic show for the foreseeable future. Yes, it's a talent Wilson possesses and yes it is difficult to defend, but it's not 100% consistent. Further, I personally believe that Wilson with his polish, veteran nuances and work ethic is capable of so much more.

I'm not sure this is the offense what Pete necessarily wants, but I think it's an offense he's accepting as both dangerous and supportive of Wilson's play style. Its become a point of emphasis to encouraging the team and fan base to accept it. Its not the ideal offense, yet, though. I think they still want more growth in the offense so that's there a mix Russell's magic with a traditional passing offense.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1dx1j9b5 said:
Jay Cutler disagrees with this statement.

Well I think we both know that Wilson would light it up in Chicago.

I'm not convinced that Jay Cutler is the right guy for them. Talking about 2014 is cherry picking anyway, that Chicago offense was elite in 2013, in large part because Cutler played less.

But forget Chicago. Anyone with eyeballs knows that Seattle needs a tall play-maker to run fade routes right now. I also think a lot of what our receivers get criticized for really just comes down to poor usage. The Hawks aren't the best team for putting their receivers in position to succeed. I'm not a Bevell hater, but I think he is probably near the bottom of the league in terms of utilizing receivers to their potential.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Everyone has hated on this idea but I wouldn't mind Mike Holmgren as OC/passing game coordinator... as long as he scuplts his style into Pete's system and philosphy and can temp his ego enough to allow Tom Cable to have complete control of the running game.

I think Holmgren would love to work with a special talent like Russell Wilson... kind of like the QB he wanted to mold out of Seneca Wallace... and on Holmgren's team he usually made average WRs look like stars.

Not only that I think Holmgren's time based WCO would mesh well with Wilson's unique ability. And I think Holmgren will give Wilson more control with using audibles to throw defenses off. And his offenses were always super disciplined as he was a stickler in Practice and demanded perfection.