Russell needs to lose weight for next year

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sondevil89":2qqpig6h said:
It seems curious that he trained off-season purposely to help prevent injury and then that is exactly what happened. I am not saying he got injured because of that, but if you look around at the league's best QB's (Ryan, Rogers, Brady, etc.) none of them bulk up. It's difficult to know for sure how it contributed but I think he might re-evaluate his training this year in favor of longer, rather than bulkier, muscle mass.

Perhaps his wife is to blame. She demanded a bulkier muscle mass.

Russel needs to convince her longer muscle mass truly does have merit...

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Bs if you all want a lb for a qb go get one thry are a lot cheaper . Maybe rw kicks some money back in to buy a line, an oc, and something nice for sherm to play with. Weighing as much as cam doesnt make a cam

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

SeaChat

Reaction score
I've been saying that Russell is looking pretty fat all season, and that was his biggest problem. He was slowed down by the extra weight he is carrying around. He came into the season out of shape. I kept posting about his poor conditioning along with a few other players, starting the season, and directly attributed a lot of their injuries directly to that factor.

Also noticed that when the Seahawks granted the big money contract to Russell, it went straight to his head, the high dollar suits, the sluffing off in conditioning, his distractions with partnerships and investments in projects in Seattle, and shilling them in press conferences, then came the radical change in his play on the field, the holding the damn ball all day, working his entire offensive compliment to death trying to accommodate him with way more time than he realistically needed to get a play off, seemingly worrying more about his fantasy football character stats than he was about playing real world football, and winning games..

The receivers were almost always available to him but he wouldn't pull the trigger, plays that were clearly designed to be handed off to the running back we're withheld, with Russell thinking he was going to save the day by himself instead of trusting his teammates to do their jobs, and almost always ended up sacked with a loss of yards and no 3rd down conversions.

I blame Russell exclusively for about half of our losses this year. I think management needs to set his ass down in this offseason and straighten him out. We may be buried in his contract, and seriously crippled ourselves by trying to do right the right thing by him, but if he doesn't get refocused and start doing right by the Seahawks , that he needs to be reminded that we are still a competition for position team, and the truth is if you compare Boykin and Russell's stats over the same number of plays, Boykin has been the more productive QB of the two.

Maybe, if Russell can't get his act figured out, it's time to let Boykin have his shot at QB, if fair is fair and we truly allow players to earn their spot by competitive results, then practice what we preach. Maybe sitting Russell on the bench backing up Boykin will help him get his swelled head deflated enough to get his feet back on the ground and his focus back on the field and in the game, where it was before we filled his bank account.

I realize I'm being hard on Russell, it's only because we know what he is capable of and who he was before we gave him all the money and made him our franchise QB. I was concerned about him almost immediately afterwards, I remember telling my wife that he was so heavenly bound that I was afraid he would become of no earthly good if someone didn't check his ass and quick. All that crap about being ordained by God who had empowered him to do amazing things in his name. God gave Russell some amazing gifts, but if he doesn't do the work to ensure his chances to go out there and fulfill his potential, he isn't going to do much more than embarrass himself, his teammates and his God for that matter.

I want the Russell Wilson back that we drafted and who gave his everything to be a productive member of the team, and not this one man show stuff he's been feeding us the past couple of seasons. I'm sure I have offended a few people with my take on this matter, but in that same vein I wager I've taken the words right out of a lot of people's mouths as well.

I've got 40 going on 41 seasons as a 12th man and I want nothing more than great things for all the Seahawks. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, Russell needs to strengthen his link in that chain. We all know what he's capable of and we all know how hard he had to work to get where he was and where he needs to be again if he wants to remain the 1st string QB for the Seahawks. If he doesn't want to make the sacrifices to fulfill his destiny then he needs to get out of the way and let another talented young gun take his shot at that greatness.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
pacific101":18hb8l7n said:
I've been saying that Russell is looking pretty fat all season, and that was his biggest problem. He was slowed down by the extra weight he is carrying around. He came into the season out of shape. I kept posting about his poor conditioning along with a few other players, starting the season, and directly attributed a lot of their injuries directly to that factor.

Also noticed that when the Seahawks granted the big money contract to Russell, it went straight to his head, the high dollar suits, the sluffing off in conditioning, his distractions with partnerships and investments in projects in Seattle, and shilling them in press conferences, then came the radical change in his play on the field, the holding the damn ball all day, working his entire offensive compliment to death trying to accommodate him with way more time than he realistically needed to get a play off, seemingly worrying more about his fantasy football character stats than he was about playing real world football, and winning games..

The receivers were almost always available to him but he wouldn't pull the trigger, plays that were clearly designed to be handed off to the running back we're withheld, with Russell thinking he was going to save the day by himself instead of trusting his teammates to do their jobs, and almost always ended up sacked with a loss of yards and no 3rd down conversions.

I blame Russell exclusively for about half of our losses this year. I think management needs to set his ass down in this offseason and straighten him out. We may be buried in his contract, and seriously crippled ourselves by trying to do right the right thing by him, but if he doesn't get refocused and start doing right by the Seahawks , that he needs to be reminded that we are still a competition for position team, and the truth is if you compare Boykin and Russell's stats over the same number of plays, Boykin has been the more productive QB of the two.

Maybe, if Russell can't get his act figured out, it's time to let Boykin have his shot at QB, if fair is fair and we truly allow players to earn their spot by competitive results, then practice what we preach. Maybe sitting Russell on the bench backing up Boykin will help him get his swelled head deflated enough to get his feet back on the ground and his focus back on the field and in the game, where it was before we filled his bank account.

I realize I'm being hard on Russell, it's only because we know what he is capable of and who he was before we gave him all the money and made him our franchise QB. I was concerned about him almost immediately afterwards, I remember telling my wife that he was so heavenly bound that I was afraid he would become of no earthly good if someone didn't check his ass and quick. All that crap about being ordained by God who had empowered him to do amazing things in his name. God gave Russell some amazing gifts, but if he doesn't do the work to ensure his chances to go out there and fulfill his potential, he isn't going to do much more than embarrass himself, his teammates and his God for that matter.

I want the Russell Wilson back that we drafted and who gave his everything to be a productive member of the team, and not this one man show stuff he's been feeding us the past couple of seasons. I'm sure I have offended a few people with my take on this matter, but in that same vein I wager I've taken the words right out of a lot of people's mouths as well.

I've got 40 going on 41 seasons as a 12th man and I want nothing more than great things for all the Seahawks. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, Russell needs to strengthen his link in that chain. We all know what he's capable of and we all know how hard he had to work to get where he was and where he needs to be again if he wants to remain the 1st string QB for the Seahawks. If he doesn't want to make the sacrifices to fulfill his destiny then he needs to get out of the way and let another talented young gun take his shot at that greatness.

Amen

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Here's an article about his trainer, who said they focused on injury prevention this season, and the coach wanted him at 218-219, if anyone is to blame for the speed he lost maybe it should be directed at his trainer. It's a good read and give you context into what the training plan was for this season.

He is not fat, he had to put on muscle, to some folks those muscles will make their face more rounder. Even in the article it stated he wanted to focus more on speed, but he was convinced even by Carson Palmer to put on more muscles.

I will say that his sideline speed is the only thing that changed and he was not use to running with the new weight, maybe this off-season he convince the trainer to get back to the lower weight, but still have enough muscle and speed to balance things out.

A year ago, Wilson's focus was clear: He wanted to get faster. While speed will always play a role in Wilson's offseason training, Flaherty wanted him to look at the bigger picture this time around and shift his focus.

He’s getting to that point where you can’t keep training the way you’ve trained your entire life," Flaherty said. "Because there comes a point in your mid-20s, your late 20s, where your body really starts to change. You can’t continue to beat it down every single offseason in the hopes of getting bigger and stronger and faster, because at some point there’s a breaking point.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... prevention

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3mx2ezpa said:
Mistashoesta":3mx2ezpa said:
I was watching the game with my wife when in the 4th quarter she asked "Why doesn't Wilson cut his hair? He's so handsome when he does. Is he trying to look like Froddo Baggins?" I had no energy left to defend him so I simply said, "Yes, yes he is".

LOL.

Somehow, that post reached a level of awesome I did not expect.

Don't forget, Sam played college ball...

2014 10 17 Rudy2

Rudy offsides

Scorpion05

Reaction score
:vodka:
pacific101":3lx4ygti said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've read. For a second I thought I was reading about Jamarcus Russell or Cam Newton. Not a QB who sacrificed his injured body, was convinced by trainers to bulk up, and is widely regarded in the Seahawks facility as one of the hardest workers in the room

And quite frankly, LOL at his status as our franchise QB ever coming into question. Or Boykin being better. Stop holding him to such unfair standards

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Might as well say he bulked up 'cuz he's afraid of Future.

The entire premise of this thread is ridiculous.

Boycie

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3qayotpm said:
Here's an article about his trainer, who said they focused on injury prevention this season, and the coach wanted him at 218-219, if anyone is to blame for the speed he lost maybe it should be directed at his trainer. It's a good read and give you context into what the training plan was for this season.

He is not fat, he had to put on muscle, to some folks those muscles will make their face more rounder. Even in the article it stated he wanted to focus more on speed, but he was convinced even by Carson Palmer to put on more muscles.

I will say that his sideline speed is the only thing that changed and he was not use to running with the new weight, maybe this off-season he convince the trainer to get back to the lower weight, but still have enough muscle and speed to balance things out.

A year ago, Wilson's focus was clear: He wanted to get faster. While speed will always play a role in Wilson's offseason training, Flaherty wanted him to look at the bigger picture this time around and shift his focus.

He’s getting to that point where you can’t keep training the way you’ve trained your entire life," Flaherty said. "Because there comes a point in your mid-20s, your late 20s, where your body really starts to change. You can’t continue to beat it down every single offseason in the hopes of getting bigger and stronger and faster, because at some point there’s a breaking point.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... prevention

Thank God he did bulk up this year, because he would have been destroyed by some of the shots he took courtesy of our human turnstiles. If he was lighter he would have missed games.

Skansi82

Reaction score
WOW. It's definitely fair to question some of his in game performance: not throwing to Jimmy, staring down receivers, hesitance to throw to the middle of the field, etc.. To question Russell's commitment is beyond laughable. The same guy that woke up every 3 hours for treatment? The same guy who spends more time at the facility than anyone?

Get a grip people. 10+ wins in every year in the league. At least one playoff win every year in the league. 8-4 in the playoffs. Yep, Russell is the problem.....trade him! What a joke.....

SeaChat

Reaction score
Having read a little further on the subject of Russell Wilson's weight I think perhaps I was a little hard on him in regards to the state of his conditioning. I still maintain that there is a lot that has gone on with him since the contract that has caused him to lose focus on the task at hand.

Like they tell all the other players, what you do during the off season, is your business, so long as it does not negatively effect the team. I think that the circumstances surrounding the destruction of his first marriage, the big contract, the new relationship, the coming of a baby, the business investments that have required much more than his dollars, and that have distracted his attentions from the task at hand on the field in Seattle, coupled with his religious convictions, which on one hand are admirable, are also at times troublesome, when, by his words would lead folks to think that he is ordained by God to be a great quarter back and to accomplish great things in his career. While I am not anti Christianity or any other religious belief system, I think that at times Russell has been so heavenly bound that he has become of no earthly good, and that he needs to check himself and be re minded that good things come to people who work for them. God may have blessed him with some special talents, that seems pretty clear, its up to Russell to respect and appreciate those gifts by doing the work that allows him to possess them ongoing.

I will also say that whoever they hired to do all of this injury prevention development with the team, needs to be sent packing, I'm old school in my understanding and practices in "injury prevention ". I posted several times early on in the season that it appeared to me that a lot of the players were coming in out of shape, and that this was exposing them to injuries. That my experiences had proven that extreme conditioning efforts, well above and beyond what most teams subject their players to, in readying them for the type of championship competition that the NFL season would subject them to, are not optional in my way of thinking, it is absolutely necessary if they hope to be the best and reduce the number of injuries.

Injuries in my experiences, both as an athlete and as a coach, stem from not being in the type of physical condition necessary to compete in whatever sport it is that you are competing in. Injuries are avoided almost completely when you are conditioned to endure the punishment that your body will surely need to endure in order to compete. bulking up only slows you down and makes it easier for your opponent to take you apart.

I know a lot of folks will argue, and that's okay, I just look at the facts, the experiences of others, in drawing my conclusions. I think had the Seahawk's coaching philosophy provided for a much higher standard and requirement of the players overall conditioning, that a great many of the injuries that plagued us throughout he season would have been avoided. A lot of the types of injuries that resulted in our players being taken out of the game, were conditioning related injuries, sprains, hamstrings, groin, etc.,. Even broken bone and joint injuries are conditioning related. If the surrounding muscles, tendons, and ligaments are conditioned well enough, they collectively, can often times be the difference between a walk it off, scenario and a season ending situation.

I concluded that Russell, in spite of the pre-decided weight gain decision by the coaches and himself, being a disastrous choice, he still has a lot of work to do, if he ever wants to find himself and his team on the field competing for a Super Bowl Title again, Russell needs to get back to the things that got him to Seattle and the Super Bowl. I also maintain that Russell's mindset and indecision, cost the Seahawk's about half their losses this year. Our defense failed to do their job in Earls absence, and that's not their fault or Earls fault, no defense should be so fragile that it cannot continue to function at a championship level in the absence of one or two key players. That is a reflection on the coaching staff and their philosophy being failed. If that is a sound defensive philosophy and strategy, then the unit should be able to continue executing effectively no matter who is able to play or whoever is unavailable to play on game day.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Wilson needs to learn how to slowly climb the pocket. Seems like I see all the other good QBs do that, but he never does...

erik2690

Reaction score
pacific101":1xigopga said:
Having read a little further on the subject of Russell Wilson's weight I think perhaps I was a little hard on him in regards to the state of his conditioning. I still maintain that there is a lot that has gone on with him since the contract that has caused him to lose focus on the task at hand.

Like they tell all the other players, what you do during the off season, is your business, so long as it does not negatively effect the team. I think that the circumstances surrounding the destruction of his first marriage, the big contract, the new relationship, the coming of a baby, the business investments that have required much more than his dollars, and that have distracted his attentions from the task at hand on the field in Seattle, coupled with his religious convictions, which on one hand are admirable, are also at times troublesome, when, by his words would lead folks to think that he is ordained by God to be a great quarter back and to accomplish great things in his career. While I am not anti Christianity or any other religious belief system, I think that at times Russell has been so heavenly bound that he has become of no earthly good, and that he needs to check himself and be re minded that good things come to people who work for them. God may have blessed him with some special talents, that seems pretty clear, its up to Russell to respect and appreciate those gifts by doing the work that allows him to possess them ongoing.

I will also say that whoever they hired to do all of this injury prevention development with the team, needs to be sent packing, I'm old school in my understanding and practices in "injury prevention ". I posted several times early on in the season that it appeared to me that a lot of the players were coming in out of shape, and that this was exposing them to injuries. That my experiences had proven that extreme conditioning efforts, well above and beyond what most teams subject their players to, in readying them for the type of championship competition that the NFL season would subject them to, are not optional in my way of thinking, it is absolutely necessary if they hope to be the best and reduce the number of injuries.

Injuries in my experiences, both as an athlete and as a coach, stem from not being in the type of physical condition necessary to compete in whatever sport it is that you are competing in. Injuries are avoided almost completely when you are conditioned to endure the punishment that your body will surely need to endure in order to compete. bulking up only slows you down and makes it easier for your opponent to take you apart.

I know a lot of folks will argue, and that's okay, I just look at the facts, the experiences of others, in drawing my conclusions. I think had the Seahawk's coaching philosophy provided for a much higher standard and requirement of the players overall conditioning, that a great many of the injuries that plagued us throughout he season would have been avoided. A lot of the types of injuries that resulted in our players being taken out of the game, were conditioning related injuries, sprains, hamstrings, groin, etc.,. Even broken bone and joint injuries are conditioning related. If the surrounding muscles, tendons, and ligaments are conditioned well enough, they collectively, can often times be the difference between a walk it off, scenario and a season ending situation.

I concluded that Russell, in spite of the pre-decided weight gain decision by the coaches and himself, being a disastrous choice, he still has a lot of work to do, if he ever wants to find himself and his team on the field competing for a Super Bowl Title again, Russell needs to get back to the things that got him to Seattle and the Super Bowl. I also maintain that Russell's mindset and indecision, cost the Seahawk's about half their losses this year. Our defense failed to do their job in Earls absence, and that's not their fault or Earls fault, no defense should be so fragile that it cannot continue to function at a championship level in the absence of one or two key players. That is a reflection on the coaching staff and their philosophy being failed. If that is a sound defensive philosophy and strategy, then the unit should be able to continue executing effectively no matter who is able to play or whoever is unavailable to play on game day.

Congrats you followed an insane post with another one. You again state as if fact that he isn't working as hard b/c he believes he can be great. You aren't making sense. You have it in your head that he isn't working hard despite no evidence and are building everything off that opinion. And your injury notions are the opposite of medically or logically sound. People in great shape get injured all the time playing football.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
By pacific's logic half of our starters must not be conditioning correctly because they all got injured during the season.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
maybe it was sympathy weight, he gained as Ciara gained. Her fault. Good news is as she delivers he should drop weight too :)

erik2690

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":ecrabsa3 said:
By pacific's logic half of our starters must not be conditioning correctly because they all got injured during the season.

It's a baffling opinion. Like yeah being in good shape vs. being in bad shape presents an obvious correct choice. But arguing that all or even a large majority of injuries are caused b/c players just aren't working hard enough on training is wild. It's hard to understand actually thinking of that as factual.

mrt144

Reaction score
erik2690":2kkezu2p said:
theincrediblesok":2kkezu2p said:

It's a baffling opinion. Like yeah being in good shape vs. being in bad shape presents an obvious correct choice. But arguing that all or even a large majority of injuries are caused b/c players just aren't working hard enough on training is wild. It's hard to understand actually thinking of that as factual.

Even a "this is speculation on my part but I feel that..." would at least make it seem less earnestly insane.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ Just have to compliment that phrase 'less earnestly insane' - it's quite brilliant.