Russell Okung has torn labrum in shoulder

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Okung is hurt and that he's been playing hurt for three weeks. I agree with L80 that he shouldn't be playing if he's hurt. It's a disservice to him and the team for him to be in there. It could damage him further and he is not helping the team. He wasn't playing all that well before he got hurt.

Maybe they can put Carpenter there and bring in a vet a guard. Carp was a LT in college and one of the reasons he was graded 1st round pick in the draft. That or find a vet. Didn't the Dolphins release Bryant McKinnie? Maybe go that route. Okung wasn't effective against the Cowboys and he's going against a better DL next Sunday against the Rams. Sit him until he's healthy.

It looks like McKinnie is available FA per Wikipedia (may not be accurate) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryant_McKinnie and NFL.com player page he's not assigned to any team http://www.nfl.com/player/bryantmckinnie/2505226/profile. Bring him in. He's a veteran LT. He's a head case but at this point he could be serviceable or better.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1x1b1jtb said:
.........Maybe they can put Carpenter there and bring in a vet a guard. Carp was a LT in college and one of the reasons he was graded 1st round pick in the draft........
Hadn't thought of that.........may be worth a shot. Last year you'd have been laughed out of the USA for such a suggestion. But this year............not so much IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Carpenter was given ample opportunity to be a tackle coming out of college. He couldn't handle it and got moved to guard, where he also struggled quite a bit before this season. I'll be the first to admit he's playing better this year than he has in previous seasons, but I just don't think he's up to the task of playing tackle. If he were, it's unlikely that Okung would still be out there.

Abach

Reaction score
What a bummer. Yet another testament to the failure of the FO by drafting Norwood, Richardson, and Michael instead of quality tackles/guards. :pukeface:

Largent80

Reaction score
kidhawk":1an2ldef said:
Carpenter was given ample opportunity to be a tackle coming out of college. He couldn't handle it and got moved to guard, where he also struggled quite a bit before this season. I'll be the first to admit he's playing better this year than he has in previous seasons, but I just don't think he's up to the task of playing tackle. If he were, it's unlikely that Okung would still be out there.

But Carpenter has a new diet designed and cooked by his G/F, that should surely make him a good tackle. :roll:

Okung is there because we are hosed on depth, while our 2nd round WR pick is inactive.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The fact they're announcing this tells me they're about to sit him for the year. I think they were just biding their time for Bailey to get right.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This was reported here last week right? Can we trade a couple of receivers for a decent lineman? In the off season we had better draft LT & center with our highest picks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":30w9ojh9 said:
The fact they're announcing this tells me they're about to sit him for the year. I think they were just biding their time for Bailey to get right.
That makes sense to me. It's looking like put up or shut up time may be arriving quickly.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":2f0i5dh4 said:
Just a strain per Pete. Wagner with turf toe is very scary though.

Bobby has turf toe..............crap, smh. These injuries are really starting to pile up for us.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Welp.. I stand corrected.. Pete just said he's not worried about Okung's shoulder.

:lol:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":33ocwbv3 said:
Just a strain per Pete. Wagner with turf toe is very scary though.

Well he did come back and play on it, which is encouraging.

I think Coyle can do ok against the Rams if that's what it comes to.. they are nowhere near the Cowboys in terms of protection or running ability.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Id be happy with sitting him against the Rams if that meant he was 100% for Carolina.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
And to make matters worse, we don't even have McQuistan to fill in for him anymore....

Or maybe that's a good thing...?

RockHawk

Reaction score
Publicly, of course they'll say Russell is fine so they they don't admit a weakness, but I'm 100% that it's a big deal internally.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
kidhawk":39z1z9xi said:
hawksfansinceday1":39z1z9xi said:
SalishHawkFan":39z1z9xi said:
Totally explains the false starts because he has to get a jump on the ball to be able to stop the defender. If the defender gets the jump on him, he's toast.
Yep.
So Bailey was active yesterday, right? Is it time to let Okung heal and try Alvin at LT? How long do you all think a torn labrum would take to heal? 8 weeks?

I'm no doctor, and I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express either, but I have read that an injury like that requires surgery eventually.

IIRC Bennett had a the same injury and played all last year with it and didn't do surgery this last offseason. Perhaps his is much more severe?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete said in his presser that Okung has a "sprained shoulder" but he's got full strength and is good to go

HawkWow

Reaction score
Abach":2jhbb2sj said:
What a bummer. Yet another testament to the failure of the FO by drafting Norwood, Richardson, and Michael instead of quality tackles/guards. :pukeface:

Totally agree with the exception of Norwood. This FO doesn't exactly have an eye for O-linemen, so expecting them to find a franchise LT in the 4th is overly optimistic, imo. That and Norwood is going to be a nice addition to this team. WRs take time, and missing camp didn't help, but his jersey will sell one day, mark my words.

I wanted ASJ (still do) but we passed on both him and worse, the OL kid from Nevada. Either would have helped us instantly. I assume the fear was that Harvin would again get dinged and Richardson would be his replacement. As you know Bevell just had all kinds of trickeration planned for Harvin (?!).

I also assume the Michael pick was a direct shot at Lynch. 'Shawn was making no effort to disguise his distain for our play calling. And while we want to believe Pete is / was just fine with Marshawn's free-spirited antics, that wouldn't be complete truth. Michael wasn't drafted because Turbin wasn't getting it done, he was drafted to replace Lynch. Michael hasn't come close to doing so, can't even step in for Turbin, and all this (dumb ass) pick did was add to Lynch's leverage.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

Pete is on the verge of erasing the accolades bestowed upon him from his peers in the NFL. He longed for that validation and I doubt he is going to dick around with this insane, gimmicky play calling much longer. This isn't what won him a natty and it's not what won him a SB. Unless he's gone completely senile, he understands this crap isn't disguising the fact we failed to address the O-line. I believe we are about to get back to USC-type, hardnosed, physical football and we will have to win or lose with this mess of an O-line. I'm good with that. This is still a young team and hopefully we learned yesterday that it all STILL starts with the O-line. We need to trade and / or cut Bevell's playthings asap, imo, then move up in this draft and get us a FLT (for starters).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":rymfiitu said:
I wanted ASJ (still do) but we passed on both him and worse, the OL kid from Nevada. Either would have helped us instantly. I assume the fear was that Harvin would again get dinged and Richardson would be his replacement. As you know Bevell just had all kinds of trickeration planned for Harvin (?!).

Again, aside from your raging Husky bias.. what does ASJ bring this team? Bitonio over Richardson is debatable, especially since our guard play has actually been fine.. but also bear in mind, we got Marsh from the trade back and it also gave us flexibility to land Norwood - the same guy you like for whatever reason.. cause I mean, he's clearly showing he can get on the field too, even though Richardson is a wasted pick for ... being inactive one game. :roll:

I also assume the Michael pick was a direct shot at Lynch. 'Shawn was making no effort to disguise his distain for our play calling. And while we want to believe Pete is / was just fine with Marshawn's free-spirited antics, that wouldn't be complete truth. Michael wasn't drafted because Turbin wasn't getting it done, he was drafted to replace Lynch. Michael hasn't come close to doing so, can't even step in for Turbin, and all this (dumb ass) pick did was add to Lynch's leverage.

Major reach on all accounts. Michael was added to bring a "lightning" element to Lynch's style. Turbin is built in the same way as Lynch with obviously much less of the skillset. Why he hasn't been able to find the field is anyone's guess.. AGAIN.. he can be active every week, it doesn't matter if our knucklehead OC dials up only 10-12 carries for a running back. The banging of the drum for Michael is hilarious because right now Bevell doesn't even give Lynch the necessary touches.

Pete is on the verge of erasing the accolades bestowed upon him from his peers in the NFL. He longed for that validation and I doubt he is going to dick around with this insane, gimmicky play calling much longer. This isn't what won him a natty and it's not what won him a SB. Unless he's gone completely senile, he understands this crap isn't disguising the fact we failed to address the O-line. I believe we are about to get back to USC-type, hardnosed, physical football and we will have to win or lose with this mess of an O-line. I'm good with that. This is still a young team and hopefully we learned yesterday that it all STILL starts with the O-line. We need to trade and / or cut Bevell's playthings asap, imo, then move up in this draft and get us a FLT (for starters).

You're right.. a couple bad outings will completely erase the Super Bowl win :lol: