Russell Wilson adrenaline junkie

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I was thinking about the last two NFC Championship games. I wonder if Russ is creating a deficit early so he can achieve his high.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think he performs his best when the pressure goes up, but doesn't try to induce the pressure. He works hard to be the football equivalent of Michael Jordan or Derrick Jeter. He has also confided in both of those guys. Dude does the work.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Before you guys jump all over Aristotle, you should know there's actually a similar case that could be made to explain Russel Wilson's tendency to occasionally struggle early and come through late. Basically, everyone one of us is born with different reactions to stimulation. As kids, some of us could entertain ourselves by being alone for hours with a pen and paper but be overwhelmed by interactions with other people and others would be bored stiff without toys or games and plenty of other kids around to interact with. These two groups are usually referred to as introverts and extroverts. As we grow up, our experiences might allow us to learn to do just about anything no matter how uncomfortable or boring it was as a kid but that innate preference is still always there.

Russel Wilson, like most professional athletes, probably grew up either inwardly focused on his own enhancement of his skills or outwardly focused on finding groups and situations where he could express himself through his actions and skills. Whether Russel Wilson started as someone with a mind more like an artist or a mind more like an adrenaline-seeker is hard to say because between his childhood and adulthood, he's grown into a very balanced combination of the two mindsets.

Thus, what Aristotle is referring to probably isn't an effort to crank up the adrenaline rush of a situation but instead Russel Wilson playing better because the increased pressure is more stimulating. He unconsciously gets more mentally engaged as the margin for error gets smaller and he plays better because he's closer to his highest mental and physical capability. It's not because he's in it for adrenaline. It's because he's only human and one that is highly accustomed for the stimulation of the high-pressure situations found in professional sporting events at that. These days he might just need especially difficult situations to pique his interest, which is yet another reason why we should be so glad that PC has not and hopefully will not succumb to the belief that a QB needs to carry the team 24/7. The QB needs to carry the team in the clutch and our offensive system generally caters to that idea and RW's adeptness in filling that role.

When ya'll trash a poster for seeming to be blatantly wrong, you're only missing out on an opportunity to enhance your own mind!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if to some extent Russell sub-consciously wants the game to be close at the end so he can have a chance to be in a tight, exciting, Adrenalin backed ending. Obviously Russell wouldnt never admit to others, or even himself, that this might be the case. It's very Freudian. So I get what OP is saying on some level.

IMO close-minded people will just say "no" without thinking how the unconscious mind works

Seanhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":14nsi53v said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if to some extent Russell sub-consciously wants the game to be close at the end so he can have a chance to be in a tight, exciting, Adrenalin backed ending. Obviously Russell wouldnt never admit to others, or even himself, that this might be the case. It's very Freudian. So I get what OP is saying on some level.

IMO close-minded people will just say "no" without thinking how the unconscious mind works

Yet the OP did not mention him sub-consciously wanting it to happen...he used the words "creating a deficit early" implying he was playing himself into a hole on purpose. Two different things. Your scenario can be debated, the original is ridiculous.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Seanhawk":q0kxjl8r said:
therealjohncarlson":q0kxjl8r said:

Yet the OP did not mention him sub-consciously wanting it to happen...he used the words "creating a deficit early" implying he was playing himself into a hole on purpose. Two different things. Your scenario can be debated, the original is ridiculous.

Yeah thats true. OP could have expressed himself better if he meant similar to what I was saying

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
To suggest that he created the deficit would be awfully presumptuous. But if you watched one of the micd up segments from the NFCCG he was so emotional on the sideline. There was one segment where he was walking behind Pete yelling "I'm not losing" or something to that effect. I want that mentality in my quarterback! To some its a cliche' but to Russell Wilson it is an ethos!

Latest posts