Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":27mt0bhl said:
Willyeye":27mt0bhl said:
Anthony!":27mt0bhl said:
hawknation2015":27mt0bhl said:
Let's not be completely deaf, blind, and dumb to the facts.

This was no different than any other extension -- Lynch received no additional money in the last year of his deal, other than his signing bonus. It was no different than Kam, Sherman, or Thomas' extensions, which also had signing bonuses that were prorated into the final year of their original contracts.

It would be no different than Wilson agreeing to an extension now with a signing bonus that was prorated in 2015 or Wagner doing the same.

And just like Newton, Lynch also agreed to reduce his 2015 base salary so that his signing bonus did not negatively impact the salary cap.

Whether you think the later terms of the extension are fair is another matter. I personally think they are fair because I believe Lynch will continue playing at an MVP-caliber level. But as to whether Lynch received more money on top of the usual signing bonus? No, he did not. That's not a debatable issue whatsoever.

Huge difference Lynch threated to retire. FYI Lynchs Salary cap number is the same as it was before the extention. Also again they said they would no renegotiate a contract changing the last year yet they did how hard is that for you to understand.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... o-new-deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... m-seahawks

Huge difference, enough said

Ummm, you're mixing things up Anthony...the Hawks FO said they wouldn't negotiate an extension with Lynch while he still had 2 years left on his contract...kind of similar to Bennett trying to get more money with 3 years left on his contract. Those 2 links you gave were for articles before the 2014 season, when Lynch was still under contract for both 2014 and 2015. They did move some monies around for 2014, but they DID NOT extend his contract prior to the 2014 season. They extended Lynch THIS offseason for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, but for the 2015 contract, they only added the signing bonus. The Seahawks FO has NEVER had a problem extending a player's contract when that player still has 1 year left on the contract.

as you pointed out though they gave Lynch more in 2015 something they have said they will not do for Wilson so again my point stands.

LOL, Anthony.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":25gql42j said:
Anthony!":25gql42j said:
Willyeye":25gql42j said:
Anthony!":25gql42j said:
Huge difference Lynch threated to retire. FYI Lynchs Salary cap number is the same as it was before the extention. Also again they said they would no renegotiate a contract changing the last year yet they did how hard is that for you to understand.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... o-new-deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... m-seahawks

Huge difference, enough said

Ummm, you're mixing things up Anthony...the Hawks FO said they wouldn't negotiate an extension with Lynch while he still had 2 years left on his contract...kind of similar to Bennett trying to get more money with 3 years left on his contract. Those 2 links you gave were for articles before the 2014 season, when Lynch was still under contract for both 2014 and 2015. They did move some monies around for 2014, but they DID NOT extend his contract prior to the 2014 season. They extended Lynch THIS offseason for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, but for the 2015 contract, they only added the signing bonus. The Seahawks FO has NEVER had a problem extending a player's contract when that player still has 1 year left on the contract.

as you pointed out though they gave Lynch more in 2015 something they have said they will not do for Wilson so again my point stands.

You are full of it. Any signing bonus would be more than Wilson is set to receive in 2015.

Admit you are full of it.

sorry I made my point deal with it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell Wilson CAN NOT hold out this year. He is under contract and has to report to camp no later than 30 days prior to the first regular season game. If he does hold out longer than that, he LOSES HIS ACCRUED SEASON. Read the new CBA rules.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":bf4y64oh said:
Russell Wilson CAN NOT hold out this year. He is under contract and has to report to camp no later than 30 days prior to the first regular season game. If he does hold out longer than that, he LOSES HIS ACCRUED SEASON. Read the new CBA rules.

:13:

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":1175c433 said:

perhaps but there is always next year and the year after etc. FYI he can hold he just would loose his year and we would loose a year of contending, a year off of the Kam, ET, Sherman, and Lynch contract. He may loose his year accrued but the team looses far far more, add in distractions, QB issues, winning issues etc. Hate to tell you he still has leverage of holding out, it would harm the team way more than him. Of course we all know he will not, as does the FO which they will take full advantage of.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anthony!":2d3rv0b2 said:
rideaducati":2d3rv0b2 said:

perhaps but there is always next year and the year after etc. FYI he can hold he just would loose his year and we would loose a year of contending, a year off of the Kam, ET, Sherman, and Lynch contract. He may loose his year accrued but the team looses far far more, add in distractions, QB issues, winning issues etc. Hate to tell you he still has leverage of holding out, it would harm the team way more than him. Of course we all know he will not, as does the FO which they will take full advantage of.
He does not have the option to hold out at this point. His salary is only 1.5 million this season, and he has a bunch of new weapons on offense. If he holds out he will loose quite a bit of money, and jeopardize his season from the lack of repetition with his new weapons. Holding out would be foolish for Wilson at this point, it is not even an option, especially if Wilson's side is playing hardball. Right now, the best course of action for Wilson is to continue to negotiate, and try to put up big numbers this upcoming season.

My understanding of the situation is that both sides are comfortable with where they are at. Right now they are playing the waiting game to see who blinks first. If anything I think Wilson's agents ideal scenario is a free agency bidding war. He even said it himself, waiting is his preferred method.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And he can be franchised a few times as well if it really came down to it (which is won't)
Not worried one bit.

Polaris

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1twfoau6 said:
My understanding of the situation is that both sides are comfortable with where they are at. Right now they are playing the waiting game to see who blinks first. If anything I think Wilson's agents ideal scenario is a free agency bidding war. He even said it himself, waiting is his preferred method.

I think you're right because in baseball, it's almost always advantageous to take it to free agency and a free agency bidding war. The problem is this isn't baseball, and it WON'T be a true bidding war. The Seahawks have too many overwhelming structural advantages designed specifically to foil what Wilson's agent seems to be trying to do.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Polaris":1xmo46up said:
Spin Doctor":1xmo46up said:

I think you're right because in baseball, it's almost always advantageous to take it to free agency and a free agency bidding war. The problem is this isn't baseball, and it WON'T be a true bidding war. The Seahawks have too many overwhelming structural advantages designed specifically to foil what Wilson's agent seems to be trying to do.
I do wish I could be a fly on the wall during these negotiations. I wonder what the agent is thinking, my guess is that he is looking at the salary cap increasing, and the future Rivers, and Luck contracts in lieu of free agency. This guy is most definitely taking a baseball approach to football negotiations though. I'm interested to see how this whole situation pans out.