Russell Wilson at his minimum salary of $1.21M?

Will you want Wilson back for $1.21mil?

• Yes

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 98 80.3%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He will come back someday to Seattle. That time is years away. When he does come back, it will be to celebrate all that he gave to this team when his name is placed into the Ring of Honor, not to step a single foot on the field again as our quarterback.

Aircrew

Reaction score
He will come back someday to Seattle. That time is years away. When he does come back, it will be to celebrate all that he gave to this team when his name is placed into the Ring of Honor, not to step a single foot on the field again as our quarterback.
As much as the thought makes me sick to my stomach, I know you're right, Aros.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I agree. Time heals.

Here's my take. The human condition is to live in the present. If you're a parent, have you ever looked at your teenager, and struggled to "remember" what they looked like at age 2 or 4 without a photo?

Russ needed a detailed scheme and plan in which to operate, but when he had that, and when other components aligned, he was almost unstoppable.

I cringe at the "We would have won more Super Bowls with player XYZ". We may have won some more games in 2019 or 2020 or whenever the ego train hit full steam.

BUT

Do you remember the read option early on? Do you remember the "We've Arrived" win against the Pats in 2012? How about the the win against Chicago in OT that year which started a 5 win winning streak to close the year? Then the playoffs where we win our first road Playoff win since 83'. We moved on to ATL where Russ orchestrated an amazing comeback lead only to be given away be the D which is never criticized.

Then 2013...

Remember losing big at half against TB but not feeling that worried because you knew Russ would bring us back. The SF domination and Russ staying cool in the NFCCG despite an early fumble. A Super Bowl performance where the O put up 43?

Yeah, it sucks how it ended. Russell ended up being a strange character and I tired of his poser like antics quickly. I never felt like he allowed us to know his genuine self, and as a fan, I wanted that connection.

All that said..

For a brief moment in time, dude was an effin' assassin and I'll always be grateful for that.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Russ coming back to this team, in any capacity, is a major step back.
What are you smoking??? Just look at the stats! Russell gave his all for the majority of his career here and because you got butt hurt by some rumors of his behaviors, you'd turn your back on him? He's a seahawk in my book. Listen, it won't happen but damn you'd be a fool to pass up Russ for 1.3 million!! What are you smoking? The cheapest backup and the best backup in the league and you wouldn't take it? OMG!!! What is this world coming to? It's about dedication and performance. Russ has proven success in both areas. Is the better than what we have? Maybe, maybe not...who cares? For 1.3 mill, you're saying he wouldn't be the best backup in the league? And one of the cheapest!!!

hangumhi

Reaction score
What would he mentor? How to not read a Defense and how to properly roll out, do circles, and get sacked?
Good God you people got your privates hurt apparently. Russ is a dedicated and good player. He cares about winning and he's a good person. Period. His stats are better than most starters in this league this year but who cares about stats when your butt hurts...am I right?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
What are you smoking??? Just look at the stats! Russell gave his all for the majority of his career here and because you got butt hurt by some rumors of his behaviors, you'd turn your back on him? He's a seahawk in my book. Listen, it won't happen but damn you'd be a fool to pass up Russ for 1.3 million!! What are you smoking? The cheapest backup and the best backup in the league and you wouldn't take it? OMG!!! What is this world coming to? It's about dedication and performance. Russ has proven success in both areas. Is the better than what we have? Maybe, maybe not...who cares? For 1.3 mill, you're saying he wouldn't be the best backup in the league? And one of the cheapest!!!
Good God you people got your privates hurt apparently. Russ is a dedicated and good player. He cares about winning and he's a good person. Period. His stats are better than most starters in this league this year but who cares about stats when your butt hurts...am I right?

Welcome to the board Russ! We were just having a discussion in another thread on whether players, current or former, visited this board.

Make yourself at home. You'll find lots of love for you over in the NFL forum.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Agree. He's not coming back. Also agree, I will be the loudest of his audience when he's inducted into the ring of honor. He was our qb when I got my one and only superbowl win as a Hawks fan and that to me means everything! I was born in 77 and can tell the difference in a fan of twenty years vs a fan of 40. The new generation of fans have had it too good. We suffered through heartache year after year after year and we still worship Largent, Kennedy etc. They weren't perfect but they were the inspiration we needed and the players we had. They showed up and played hard every single week, just like Russ did. He's a Hawk. I love him for being part of my life and for the SB he helped give us all. I love what he did for the franchise and will always feel positively toward him. Just my 2 cents.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Welcome to the board Russ! We were just having a discussion in another thread on whether players, current or former, visited this board.

Make yourself at home. You'll find lots of love for you over in the NFL forum.
😅. That's just funny right there. You had me laughing so hard I forgot what count I was on, on my high knees! Jk, truly that was a good reply. Respect.

flv2

Reaction score
Well, if contract offsets prevent him from playing he could always become the new OC.

...I'll see myself out.

chris98251

Reaction score
1.21 million would be well used on a run stuffer that can pressure the QB up the middle.

Raifers

Reaction score
Nah I would not be a fool to pass on him. Cheapest backup that would probably need an entirely different playbook if needed to play. Too many distractions. Dedication? That’s debatable if he truly was dedicated he wouldn’t have gained so much weight, but then again I remember how dedicated he was doing high knees on a flight so I’ll give him credit for that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't know. I think this squealing about "butt hurt" might just be a little projection to take your mind off of your own stinging ring.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Signing Wilson for the vet minimum makes TOO MUCH SENSE not to do it.

1A. Wilson knows the offense, and if he's going to be signing anywhere on a 1 year deal it would make sense to go somewhere he's likely to succeed as an audition for a new deal elsewhere.
1B.The Hawks get someone who knows the system and has been humbled enough to play within it. No more "let russ cook".

2. The Hawks already have to eat a huge dead cap hit when they release Adams, and there would be a cap hit for cutting Geno as well, but getting a starting QB replacement for $1.4M would save them enough money to not only absorb both of those cap hits but also go out and sign a decent FA to fill a hole.

Both sides would benefit greatly from such a deal. Russell would get to rehab his on-field and off-field reputation, and the Hawks would be gifted with a 1-year bonus to cancel out major dead cap hits. Both sides would be free to part ways after the season, with both having likely benefited.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Over 100 voted, and 80% voted no for all the right reasons. These are my take:
  1. Wilson is Wilson, if he wouldn't or couldn't change after being humiliated in 2022, and under his dream coach in 2023. WIlson will not change. He is what he is, a limited QB on physical decline.
  2. As is, Wilson of 2024 would be similar to Geno, better in some areas and not as good in other. With Geno or Lock a lot easier to coach than an uncoachable (just ask Payton) Wilson.
  3. The bad blood between Wilson and Pete/John run pretty deep, so not happening. Quite sure John will not want to deal with Wilson's agent, and Pete do not want to deal with Wilson and his media army.
  4. Can we find a franchise QB in 2024 draft with our draft position? I don't know, do you?
  5. Skill sets and bad blood aside, at $1.2mil, money wise he might just be that perfect bridge if we managed to find that future QB.
my 2p.