Russell Wilson Development

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He's going to take a big step having a target like Jimmy Graham. If only the Hawks could have also found a true playermaker to play outside at WR too, you'd really see Russell take the next step. I wonder how many years he will have to go without a top tier WR. Seems like this team will never pull the trigger on one in free agency or hit on one in the draft. Give him the kind of weapons Peyton has had in Denver and you will see Russell looking as good as any QB in the NFL.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jzenlr87 said:
Fade":jzenlr87 said:
Darrell Bevell I think is impeding Russell's development. DB will be exposed when he fails to implement Jimmy into the offense and Seattle is in the bottom 1/3 in RZ offense next year.

It will be really entertaining to see DB make excuses and throw people under the bus. While watching the media and apologists defend the guy that cost Seattle back to back championships.

I hope I'm wrong.

If we all agree that Pete and John are two of the smartest NFL minds in the league............and agree that Pete is one of the greatest HC's in the league, if not of all time. Then why is Bevell still the OC?

If Bevell was as terrible as some of you make him out to be, costing us games and impeding player development, why is he still here?

IMO Bevell and Russell work great together, so much so that Russell is one of the fastest developing QB's of all time who is already in the top of the league in completion percentage, QBR, TD's to INT ratio, rush yards and two SB/Pro Bowls under his belt.

I think Bevell is good too. I think the philosophy of rotating players on the offensive side of the ball is what the problem is. There was not a single reason to have Brian Walters in on a passing play at any point last season. There was ALWAYS a better option. Third and 3 or less and they have Lynch lined up as a receiver and an empty backfield. Kearse blocking so that Lockette can catch a slant pass was brilliant too. They know what their guys can do better than I do, but they like to try to outsmart the room a bit too often. They get away from their supposed philosophy of putting the right players in the right places to succeed on the offensive side of the ball.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
When did we start referring to Bevell as DB . especially when our #1 receiver has the same initials . Makes no sense really.

Russell Wilson is just so beastly , how could he improve anymore?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1fztpzm0 said:
Fade":1fztpzm0 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1fztpzm0 said:
Wilson doesn't tend to hyper focus on one guy like Romo does with Dez. We'll see though.

Tony Romo spread the ball around well I thought

WR 1 Dez Bryant 16 TDs
WR 2 Ter Williams 8 TDs
WR 3 Cole Beasley 4 TDs
TE 1 Jason Witten 5 TDs
TE 2 Gav Escobar 4 TDs

on 476 team pass attempts

Russell Wilson

WR 1 Doug Baldwin 4 TDs
WR 2 Jerm Kearse 1 TD
WR 3 P Rich 1 TD
TE 1 Luke Willson 3 TDs
TE 2 Cooper Helfet 2 TDS

on 454 team pass attempts

Darrell Bevell is the worst redzone play caller I have ever seen.
Ya and that obviously has nothing to do with the talent difference between the two receiving groups... Wow the hate runs deep in this one

You actually just proved his point. Look at the talent disparity, look at the amount of TD's Romo threw with similar attempts. Both teams had similar run games. I would say Romo had a cleaner pocket, but Russ is much more athletic.

Now insert Jimmy Graham. If your OC doesn't have his head up his ..... then how is Graham NOT going to get at least 10 TD's ? How many times did we kick a FG in the red zone ? Those are all opportunities for our offense to get more efficient, without increasing volume. Look at it...who else is going to catch TD's consistently ? You proved his point.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1pst8bu7 said:
He's going to take a big step having a target like Jimmy Graham. If only the Hawks could have also found a true playermaker to play outside at WR too, you'd really see Russell take the next step. I wonder how many years he will have to go without a top tier WR. Seems like this team will never pull the trigger on one in free agency or hit on one in the draft. Give him the kind of weapons Peyton has had in Denver and you will see Russell looking as good as any QB in the NFL.

We won't be able to afford one. If we want a play maker on the outside, we're doing to have to be able to reliably draft one every 4 years or so. We spend way to much on the defensive side, and Wilson's new contract won't give us a lot of wiggle room for more expensive skill position players.

They were willing to pay Rice, willing to pay Harvin, and willing to pay Graham. They pay Lynch a good amount and now have to pay Wilson a fair above average league QB salary.

Not many teams have more than 3 expensive offensive skill positions and still have a competitive defense. Something has to give, and the recent trend has been the defensive side of the ball. Personally, I think our version of bucking the system and relying more on the defensive side of the ball works pretty well.

Believe me, I'd like to see it. I've been banging the drum for an elite OL for years, but the thing is, we have to save somewhere and that's where Cable earns his keep. He turns low round draft picks and UDFA's into leading the league in rush blocking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":3tio8o9c said:
Believe me, I'd like to see it. I've been banging the drum for an elite OL for years, but the thing is, we have to save somewhere and that's where Cable earns his keep. He turns low round draft picks and UDFA's into leading the league in rush blocking.

Do elite O-lines exist anymore? We're not doing anything every other team has to do, save cap space on the O-line for other positions of need. That is why Pete pays Cable so much, he can make average lineman above average. Maybe not elite, but good enough.

Dallas has arguably the best O-line, and it's all been through the draft.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I anticipate Russell to continue on his upward trek of growth.
In regards to Bev (not DB), he's the primary coach responsible for fostering that growth in Russell, so I see nothing to prevent that trend from continuing and I'm very happy he's still on the staff. All this talk about red zone inefficiency being pointed squarely at him is nothing but garbage. The idea is to put more points on the scoreboard than the opponent and the Hawks have been doing that quite smoothly and the addition of Jimmy will only enhance that proficiency.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":32ayezp6 said:
the Hawks have been doing that quite smoothly and the addition of Jimmy will only enhance that proficiency.

Seattle was 29th in the Redzone last year. 31st in goal to goal. With Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch.

29/32, 31/32 is anything but smooth or proficient, its HORRIBLE.

*edit* It is why they traded a 1st & Max Unger for Jimmy Graham & 4th.

The Hawks were one of the worst RZ teams in the NFL.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ktxwlke6 said:
Hawks46":ktxwlke6 said:

Do elite O-lines exist anymore? We're not doing anything every other team has to do, save cap space on the O-line for other positions of need. That is why Pete pays Cable so much, he can make average lineman above average. Maybe not elite, but good enough.

Dallas has arguably the best O-line, and it's all been through the draft.

I think we're saying the same thing. I'm just saying we can't afford to keep an elite OL (if we had one). Once it's time to get paid, we're going to lose them, and that does hurt continuity. I think continuity is what makes very talent OL's into elite ones.

As for are there any elite OL's in the NFL anymore ? I'd have to say Dallas. I haven't really scouted all the other teams, but GB's played our DL pretty damn well, at least in pass pro. It's really hard to say, as my personal theory is that the athletes are getting so good on defense that it really turns OL's into either elite run blocking or elite pass blocking lines now. It's rare to see both. It's also another reason why teams are starting to value athleticism at the QB position more and more. I read a scout's comments on Winston and one of them was "he can't run". Can't remember the last time I heard that about the QB position in the NFL.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3buktc3k said:
Wilson doesn't tend to hyper focus on one guy like Romo does with Dez. We'll see though.

You're correct for the most part but I thought he was hyper-focused on Kearse in the NFCCG. I hope he has learned from that and having Graham may alleviate that some.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2cy1n4su said:
Siouxhawk":2cy1n4su said:
the Hawks have been doing that quite smoothly and the addition of Jimmy will only enhance that proficiency.

Seattle was 29th in the Redzone last year. 31st in goal to goal. With Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch.

Do they by and large put more points on the scoreboard than their opponents? The answer is yes.
Are they on the verge of making their third Super Bowl? The answer is yes.
Go ahead and hunt windmills if you want, but the Seahawks offense is proficient.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nqh9l90w said:
Fade":nqh9l90w said:
Siouxhawk":nqh9l90w said:

Do they by and large put more points on the scoreboard than their opponents? The answer is yes.
Go ahead and hunt windmills if you want, but the Seahawks offense is proficient.

Yet and still the Hawks recognized they were a horrible RZ team and traded for Graham. So I guess they're chasing windmills too?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":1nmuqo6w said:
Siouxhawk":1nmuqo6w said:
Fade":1nmuqo6w said:
Siouxhawk":1nmuqo6w said:

Yet and still the Hawks recognized they were a horrible RZ team and traded for Graham. So I guess they're chasing windmills too?
They added a new cog to their offense that has a history of scoring touchdowns. Yes, I agree he is a nice upgrade, if that is your point. I think upgrades at all positions is the goal every offseason. I look forward to the continued success of meeting the high standards our offense has established.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think Wilson needs to improve in the same areas that I've been looking for him to improve for the last two off seasons also.
I think he definitely still has time make these improvements, but TBH I've been incredibly surprised by his lack of development in the areas I was expecting.

*Wilson still uses an internal clock to break from his designated spot rather than responding to pressure. I thought he would have developed a little bit more in this regard, but I have yet to see it.

*On non-gimmick pass plays he's still almost exclusively throwing from above the pocket, or after having broken from the top of the pocket if nothing is available to him when his internal clock starts ringing. Some people say this is a height thing, and I don't think that's even remotely true. Drew Brees really isn't much taller than Wilson, and he's excellent at this: he 1) stays at the top of the pocket until he feels pressure (it's not an internal clock thing), 2) he steps into the pocket (Wilson still rarely does this unless it's winding up to throw, and 3) he manipulates the pocket to buy more time while keeping his eyes up field. I thought Wilson would be intermittently doing all three of these things by now, and I haven't just seen any development along any of these lines at all.

*Wilson's accuracy still runs very hot and cold. It's always been a strange one for me, because I don't see anything in his mechanics that would cause this, and because he's really consistent in his mechanics (clearly something he has put a lot of work into). This has always been a big head scratcher for me. I'm just not sure what it is.

Overall the Russell Wilson I watched last year really hadn't developed from the Wilson I watched the year before or the year before that. That was masked a little bit by his outlier year rushing the ball last year, and the wild fluke of none of his fumblings being lost last year.

Also worth saying that none of these are things that you can blame on WR or O-Line play. If anything, bad WRs and a bad OLine would give someone MORE opportunity to develop these skills, and these are PRECISELY the skills that guys like Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady posses that make bad WR and line play look like good WR and line play to the untrained eye.

And just to insulate myself from some of the hate a little bit, I believe that currently Wilson is as he's been: a very good quarterback.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":1htvlhmq said:
I think we're saying the same thing. I'm just saying we can't afford to keep an elite OL (if we had one). Once it's time to get paid, we're going to lose them, and that does hurt continuity. I think continuity is what makes very talent OL's into elite ones..

I guess you need to define "elite O-lineman."

Unger was a top center for a couple years before he got hurt all the time..........and I don't think Pete and John would have a problem with paying any elite player on the Hawks, as long as their play warranted their salary. That includes an O-lineman.

themunn

Reaction score
Fade":2begmet5 said:
themunn":2begmet5 said:
Fade":2begmet5 said:
Marlin Man":2begmet5 said:
I forsee DB calling the game so that Jimmy G. goes from 100 rec a year down to about 35-40, and to top it off will blame others for HIS lack of proper play calling. Then maybe, just maybe the POS will be gone.

M.M.

It won't be that bad, but it will be maddening watching the play calls in the redzone. They will have Jimmy block on a bubble screen, or run to the flat, instead of running down the seam, or on a corner route. The drive will bog down kick a field goal, repeat.

55 catches 7 TDs for Jimmy this year, which is a joke still. With a Competent OC 75 catches 16 TDs.

Even in a low volume passing O he should get 16 TDs every year like clock work.

Dallas only threw the ball something like 20 more times than the Seahawks last year and Dez had 16 TDs.

So why hasn't he had 16 TDs every year like clockwork in the league's highest volume passing offense?

Follow Me

2010: 5 GS 5 TDs
2011: 11 GS 11 TDs
2012: 9 GS 9 TDs
2013: 12 GS 16 TDs
2014: 13 GS 10 TDs
Total
50 Games Started 51 Touchdowns

2015: 16 GS __ TDs fill in the blank.

So yes I stand by my statement if JG is on your team and he starts 16 games he should have 16 TDs. especially when teams have to load up for Beast Mode and worry about RW keepers. :3:

Insert Darell Bevell as your OC and you get 7 TDs. lol

The high volume passing is irrelevant when it comes to accumulating TDs. see Tony Romo to Dez 2014.

It takes good Redzone play calling, and players executing. I see the players executing the plays for the most part, but the play calls are terrrible.

Drive stall. Field Goal.

WTF sort of ridiculous logic is that. TE is not a position where "starts" actually matter, last year his second highest yardage total came in a game he didn't start (out of 2).
In 2013 he started 12 games and scored 11 TDs in them, and in the other 4 he didn't start and scored 5.
In 2012 he started 9 games and scored 5 TDs, in the other 6 games he played but didn't start, he scored 4 TDs.
In 2011 he started 11 games and scored 9 TDs, in the other 5 games he scored 2 TDs (but totalled 381 yards, over 75 yards per game, so was still massively effective)

I've left out his 2010 rookie season as he played in a lot of games but didn't start getting targets until the last part of the season, so the figures are skewed somewhat.

The point is that it doesn't matter if he starts or not, his impact is broadly the same regardless. In fact since 2011 he's only played in 1 game where he didn't have a single reception (against the Lions this year where he was basically used as a decoy in the few plays he had) and that means that since 2011, even excluding that game, he's played in 62 games and recorded 46 TDs - around 0.75 per game.
That should mean that his target for this year should be around 12 TDs if he plays every game - and that would still be better than all but his 2013 season.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Brett Favre once said, its not Talent but chemistry that wins games. Seahawks are in the right path in signing up core players and making the right moves. The OL is the most rotating non conitnual group, but Cable and RW feet is keeping that manageable. RW needs to trust his receivers more and deliver the ball even when he doesn't see the receiver there. That will be his progression for this year. Once he masters it like Drew Brees, it will be hard for someone to beat us. Red zone passes are the most difficult when the field is shorter and there are so many bodies. He trusted Golden Tate to fight and come down with the ball, he will have Chris Mathews and Jimmy Graham who will hopefully fight for the ball. With ball security key in us winning, he will learn how to trust and throw it in space even when the space has not been developed yet.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I'm not an X's and O's person, but I'd like to see Russ throw the ball quicker. Watching Two-step Tommy at the Super Bowl killing us with passes that he threw, like, 0.23 seconds after the snap made me wonder why we can't do that. Maybe an X and O guy can explain: Are our receivers not getting open? Are our slot guys and TEs too unreliable in short-yardage, high traffic situations? Is Russ lacking confidence in his targets (or himself)? Or is it just something Pete and Darryl don't like to do?

rideaducati

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":2ynhnpyn said:
I'm not an X's and O's person, but I'd like to see Russ throw the ball quicker. Watching Two-step Tommy at the Super Bowl killing us with passes that he threw, like, 0.23 seconds after the snap made me wonder why we can't do that. Maybe an X and O guy can explain: Are our receivers not getting open? Are our slot guys and TEs too unreliable in short-yardage, high traffic situations? Is Russ lacking confidence in his targets (or himself)? Or is it just something Pete and Darryl don't like to do?

Seattle was showing press and then bailing into zone coverage and Brady was taking what the defense gave him. I have never seen a more patient QB. Most QBs want to hit the Seahawks defense with big plays so they try things they shouldn't.

Most teams line their corners up tight against Seattle's receivers which makes those quick passes more dangerous. When other teams play off, Russell takes advantage of it when he needs it.