Russell Wilson, game manager

randomation

Reaction score
theascension":3pao7jnz said:
Meanwhile over in the colts forums they often are drinking the kool-aid saying Luck is the best QB in the league and that he did everything with 0 talent.
Yeah sure.. throwing a pick 6 on the 3rd play of the game in the playoffs against a poor defense makes you the best QB in the league.

Of course they are god forbid they admit the colts had the number 9 scoring d play in a weaker conference and division and better pass protection nope its all luck. ESPN and other's adoration of Luck is trending toward the tebow level of annoying.

IM_Mvp

Reaction score
randomation":dx6hqs0p said:
theascension":dx6hqs0p said:
Meanwhile over in the colts forums they often are drinking the kool-aid saying Luck is the best QB in the league and that he did everything with 0 talent.
Yeah sure.. throwing a pick 6 on the 3rd play of the game in the playoffs against a poor defense makes you the best QB in the league.

Of course they are god forbid they admit the colts had the number 9 scoring d play in a weaker conference and division and better pass protection nope its all luck. ESPN and other's adoration of Luck is trending toward the tebow level of annoying.

Luck is a player who still lives off his draft reputation, where he was the next "once-in-a-generation" QB. Of course, NFL "experts" will continue to slurp him and ignore his shortcomings in the playoffs where he has eight INTS and a better supporting cast on offense than Wilson.

He's a good QB, don't get me wrong, but it's really silly to see the national media constantly proclaim how elite and infallible he is while labeling Wilson as a game manager at the same time. It's like they don't actually watch the games.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theascension":29breir2 said:

Yeah and the bad par t is he has plenty around him. A HOF WR, another in the top 20, an oline ranked in the top 10 in pass blocking, a defense in the top 10 in scoring, and then an rb running game, meaning minus the QB rushes, that was statistically as good as ours, the difference was only 17 yards and 4 attempts a game. Oh and an significantly easier schedule than Wilsons. What it boils down to is no one bother to check out the facts and just assumed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Man, we just can't get any respect. LOL. Until Wilson is called the greatest to ever play the game, some will get butt-hurt by what they perceive as disrespect.

Show me a great QB that was not a great game manager. It's the FO's job to put the pieces on the field, the coach's job to coach those pieces and the QBs job to manage those pieces when the offense is on the field. I would call Joe Montana a game manager and I'm sure he, Rice, Taylor, Rathman, Craig, Clark etc would agree, and the latter doing so in complimentary fashion.

Is Russ a playmaker? Hell yeah he's a play maker and so was Montana. Making plays and / or positioning others to make plays is critical to game management. Few, if any, are doing that better than Russell Wilson. And a the end of the day, do we really care what some writer, hard up to meet a deadline, says about our SB winning QB? Why? I couldn't care less.

Not every writer can write the exact same story and instead of hunting for the odd negative story, I am grateful for the tons of respect our team, city and QB has received over the past 2 seasons. Time to put the disrespect card away. It's embarrassing.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Seems to me the term "print manager" should be applied to many writers. If RW is indeed just a game manager, there are a ton of NFL/sport writers who rate below print manager.

hawk45

Reaction score
Game manager is a legit term it just doesn't apply to Russ because it carries with it the notion that the QB can't take the team on his shoulders. Anyone who watched the 10 game stretch with a walking wounded OL knows damned well only 1 QB in the NFL keeps racking up the wins under those circumstances. That's the difference between homefield and a Lombardi, and a wild card and facing the Saints or Niners at home in very close games that maybe don't go our way.

Shoot Russ doesn't even need a clean pocket, he just needs a bit of an escape hatch not provided by the SFs and CARs of the world to buy time. Russ with time is just stupid good as shown in Atlanta and the Superbowl.

evergreen

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":1grrwfc8 said:
If he keeps managing us to Wins and Super Bowls then I don't care what people label him as.
That is an interesting observation. I think the injury happened against the 9ers in SF. He got blindsided during that game and was a bit different after that. As for the Az.game he was just plain awful with his worst play being a mental mistake. Right before half we had the ball and were driving on 3rd down. Instead of taking the open run to the sideline and a 1st down, he inexplicably threw wide to Baldwin and drive over. That is the single worst play I ever seen him make-yeah, worst than the strip fumble in the NFCCG.

As for Indy having no talent, did everybody forget they were perineal playoff team? They lost Peyton and immediately sucked for Luck. #1 pick and Presto, back in the playoffs! And yeah he's really good too. We were a 4, 5, 7 and 7 win team and then well you know...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
They can call him a game manager all they want. I just want to see him make 18+million because that's his worth--game manager or not. There are great number of sheep and bean counters out there who will only give RW his due respect when he starts padding stats or is getting paid like the elites.
RW set records and put dollars in many owners pockets.
He payed well enough to deserve MVP of both the Pro Bowl and Superbowl.
The fact he didn't win either is being used against him by some ignorant detractors to support their theory that he is irrelevant.
Well if production often determine who is relevant and salary is a confirmation of value and standing then detractors will have less to stand on when he makes elite player money and continues winning against Brady and Manning.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
They can call him a game manager all they want. I just want to see him make 18+million because that's his worth--game manager or not. There are great number of sheep and bean counters out there who will only give RW his due respect when he starts padding stats or is getting paid like the elites.
RW set records and put dollars in many owners pockets.
He payed well enough to deserve MVP of both the Pro Bowl and Superbowl.
The fact he didn't win either is being used against him by some ignorant detractors to support their theory that he is irrelevant.
Well if production often determine who is relevant and salary is a confirmation of value and standing then detractors will have less to stand on when he makes elite player money and continues winning against Brady and Manning.

Mick063

Reaction score
If Russ had glaring flaws, this board would be all over it. We would be calling for his head. We would be collectively debating his worth.

We don't. We know.

Unlike most fans, we watch every game and know all the circumstances. The bad/injured pass blocking. The elite defenses in the NFC West. The coaching philosophy of low risk offensive calls.

But when the time comes. When the team is behind. When the opposing pass rush is huge. When our biggest red zone receiver goes down. When the running game can't get going.......

Our man flat gets it done. He doesn't "give away" victory. He doesn't choke. Instead, he snatches victory away. He "manages" big plays. Crucial, game changing plays.

I would take Russell Wilson over any other quarterback in the league.

He is 7-0 verse Rogers, Brees, Brady, and Manning and that does not include preseason. He owns as many rings as three of them. On another note, what has Brady won without a "stacked" defense?