Russell Wilson is no longer a good quarterback

5thgen

Reaction score
Kids and family will take time away from work. He has less time to prep and exercise these days and it showing in his perfomance.

groundchucklives

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1tu2crcz said:
Comparing Russ to Tom Brady, who just became one of the oldest active QB in the history of the NFL, provides an interesting contrast. Tom is 6 inches taller and quite thin and Russ has packed on the weight in the past two years to slow him down noticeably. It is highly unlikely that Russ will still be playing when he is 43.

This X1000. Russ has become kinda chunky the past 2-3 years. No way that has NOT had an effect on his wheels!

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Scorpion05":23l42fe7 said:
Then trade him. Being a Seahawks fan and arguing about this every week is exhausting. Trade Russ and let him succeed elsewhere. Sign or draft the QB you’re absolutely sure would out produce him.
It really is exhausting isn't it? At this point I'm almost wish they'd just burn it down so we don't have to hear about it anymore. The hate Russ/love Russ, hate Pete/love Pete battle can move to the NFL sub and we can move on to a fresh new set of people to have the same arguments about. :3-1:

AKSeahawks

Reaction score
The thing I see with Russ is that he has too much things going on outside of football. From opening up a school, BLM, clothing line, superstar wife, podcast, etc... All great things and goals for him to accomplish but as a football player it feels like a big distraction trying to manage all things at once. I'm sure he has managers to help him but from his interviews this pass season, it feels like he is leaning towards and pushing his agenda other than solely focusing on football

hoxrox

Reaction score
groundchucklives":2wyni6z4 said:
Bigpumpkin":2wyni6z4 said:
Comparing Russ to Tom Brady, who just became one of the oldest active QB in the history of the NFL, provides an interesting contrast. Tom is 6 inches taller and quite thin and Russ has packed on the weight in the past two years to slow him down noticeably. It is highly unlikely that Russ will still be playing when he is 43.

This X1000. Russ has become kinda chunky the past 2-3 years. No way that has NOT had an effect on his wheels!

Yeah watching the Bucs offense, they use the middle of the field a lot.

So if Russ has indeed loss his ability to scramble and be elusive, and is not able to utilize 1/3 of the field from the pocket consistently, then that becomes a huge liability - especially with how much he's being paid.

Compound with coaches inability to adapt, and this is the results we're gonna get.

No deep, no middle... what's left?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
AKSeahawks":21edbaxp said:
The thing I see with Russ is that he has too much things going on outside of football. From opening up a school, BLM, clothing line, superstar wife, podcast, etc... All great things and goals for him to accomplish but as a football player it feels like a big distraction trying to manage all things at once. I'm sure he has managers to help him but from his interviews this pass season, it feels like he is leaning towards and pushing his agenda other than solely focusing on football

He is starting to sound more like a politician!!

keasley45

Reaction score
50821235366 c3253e66fa20210103_175554 by J_Otte, on Flickr

50821235281 29ee83044520210103_175623 by J_Otte, on Flickr

So who's fault was this? Pete or Schotty's?

This happened far to manytimes to count this year. Every game is full of them, starting with the first loss to Arizona. Russ either cant, or wont throw timing routes, hots, close to the line or crossers and defenses know it. They've given us that oart of the field week after week and even when the plays are there, we dont pull the trigger.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
keasley45":2btk5etp said:

This happened far to manytimes to count this year. Every game is full of them, starting with the first loss to Arizona. Russ either cant, or wont throw timing routes, hots, close to the line or crossers and defenses know it. They've given us that oart of the field week after week and even when the plays are there, we dont pull the trigger.

I'm starting to believe that he can't even see them due to lack of height.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Blaming the O-line is an easy scapegoat. But Russ had much better years with much worse O-lines. It is NOT the O line's fault. Could they be better? yes. Is it only on them? hell no.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Not only is Russ the best quarterback in the NFC, we need to double down on the LRC movement and let him call his own plays. He is, in effect, our best offensive coordinator. His ability to read a defense pre-snap is on par with Peyton Manning in his prime, and for the sake of the franchise and to extend our championship window, we need to provide him with more tools to do so.

Stop trying to chop down a tree with an axe, and use the damn chainsaw.

ducks41468

Reaction score
keasley45":14zpq5qd said:

In past years Russ would break out of such slumps; this year he never did. He's missing these plays repeatedly and on top of that there's no coaching system to hold him accountable, since the coaching staff is just as complicit and inept.

To add to this, why is Austin Davis our QB coach? Imagine if you're a 10 year vet in your industry and the underachieving intern your same age that you had 5 years ago is now one of your supervisors. This seems bizarre to say the least.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I’m not gonna say he’s not a good quarterback because he is .he’s definitely way overpaid and overrated but he still a good quarterback. But I am too looking towards the future because I don’t think he’s going to get any better he’s got a lot of things he’s doing on the side he came in looking a little fat and definitely his wheels are not what they were . My biggest problem with him is that he refuses to throw the ball on time because Pete’s pounding it in his head turnovers turnovers turnovers that’s why he’s holding the ball way too long I totally believe that. I mean look at the kid last night in Washington that ball was out in two seconds almost every time he threw it read the defense and let it fly most quarterbacks in this league that ball is out no matter what. except him double triple clutching the ball terrified of throwing an interception it’s showing

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
He totally lost his confidence after the first AZ game where they lost after being up 10 late and he threw a pick on the potential "Russ's magical game winning drive." That messed with his head and he hasn't been the same since.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
keasley45":3d618ehb said:
FearTheHawk":3d618ehb said:
All true. I'm also going to say it. Russ's height is an issue. Now that he's slowed down and defenses have schemed for him, his height is starting to become a huge issue. Not hitting hot routes over the middle is devastating when facing a good D line. He can't hit slants. and teams have figured out how to attack outside routes while pressuring Russ and he and Pete haven't adjusted in the slightest.

This. For all the folks who seem to think the season tanked just because Pete reeled it in, if that's true, it should have just gone back to what its always been, because it was never what we saw through week 6 this year. And why is it when we have an o-line that ranks better than the abysmal o lines we had under Cable, is the QB performance worse. And for the love of God, can we please stop pretending that Russ is just a victim of the playcall, as if he is just handed the plan on Sunday and isn't involved in selecting what we run.

I don't know 100% why we abandoned shallow and mid passes, or seemed incapable of hitting hot routes to beat pressure. But I do know that those plays were there on many occasions for the taking. And we left them. Russ held the ball longer this year than I've seen in his career. Commentators commented on it and stated many times that he just needs to get the ball out. Pete even commented several times over the season that sometimes you have to take what a defense gives you. We didn't do that all year. And I think it's finally come to the point that what tge defenses give us, Russ simply can't take. He can't see it, so he can't feel it, can't trust it, and with his fear of the turnover, won't throw it. That's as much the issue as anything else and certainly more plausible than this conspiracy theory that has Pete squashing a dynamic o in favor of one that mandates we either run the ball or throw deep.

Also hate to say it but I also think the early season success also went to Russ's head and that he bought into the media's mvp hype. I mean when ever hS it been his character to AGREE when asked that we should be MVP? I think he's responsible as anyone for wanting to constantly hit the deep ball and constantly feed DK.. who btw has for sure bought into his hype. On a day like yesterday when mixing up the pass attack was one way to loosen up the Rams D, Russ forced the ball to DK far too often.

I think its entirely insane to lay the blame for the offense's failures at Pete or Schotty 's feet when so much of the evidence points to qb played uncharacteristically poorly this year, with more tools than he has ever had at his disposal.
The height factor is real and has always been the case,it was just easy to hide with movement
out of pocket and shotgun.
I tried to point this out over the years...No quick slants or passes down the middle ect
while you may have seen one it was rare and the reason is not the OC or PC.
Defenses learn these things and take away even more of a limited field.The slower RW
makes all this worse..It sucks to see but we are seeing it more and more.

hoxrox

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1ebzec9t said:
keasley45":1ebzec9t said:
FearTheHawk":1ebzec9t said:
All true. I'm also going to say it. Russ's height is an issue. Now that he's slowed down and defenses have schemed for him, his height is starting to become a huge issue. Not hitting hot routes over the middle is devastating when facing a good D line. He can't hit slants. and teams have figured out how to attack outside routes while pressuring Russ and he and Pete haven't adjusted in the slightest.

This. For all the folks who seem to think the season tanked just because Pete reeled it in, if that's true, it should have just gone back to what its always been, because it was never what we saw through week 6 this year. And why is it when we have an o-line that ranks better than the abysmal o lines we had under Cable, is the QB performance worse. And for the love of God, can we please stop pretending that Russ is just a victim of the playcall, as if he is just handed the plan on Sunday and isn't involved in selecting what we run.

I don't know 100% why we abandoned shallow and mid passes, or seemed incapable of hitting hot routes to beat pressure. But I do know that those plays were there on many occasions for the taking. And we left them. Russ held the ball longer this year than I've seen in his career. Commentators commented on it and stated many times that he just needs to get the ball out. Pete even commented several times over the season that sometimes you have to take what a defense gives you. We didn't do that all year. And I think it's finally come to the point that what tge defenses give us, Russ simply can't take. He can't see it, so he can't feel it, can't trust it, and with his fear of the turnover, won't throw it. That's as much the issue as anything else and certainly more plausible than this conspiracy theory that has Pete squashing a dynamic o in favor of one that mandates we either run the ball or throw deep.

Also hate to say it but I also think the early season success also went to Russ's head and that he bought into the media's mvp hype. I mean when ever hS it been his character to AGREE when asked that we should be MVP? I think he's responsible as anyone for wanting to constantly hit the deep ball and constantly feed DK.. who btw has for sure bought into his hype. On a day like yesterday when mixing up the pass attack was one way to loosen up the Rams D, Russ forced the ball to DK far too often.

I think its entirely insane to lay the blame for the offense's failures at Pete or Schotty 's feet when so much of the evidence points to qb played uncharacteristically poorly this year, with more tools than he has ever had at his disposal.
The height factor is real and has always been the case,it was just easy to hide with movement
out of pocket and shotgun.
I tried to point this out over the years...No quick slants or passes down the middle ect
while you may have seen one it was rare and the reason is not the OC or PC.
Defenses learn these things and take away even more of a limited field.The slower RW
makes all this worse..It sucks to see but we are seeing it more and more.

Yeah I think Kyler Murray is shorter than Wilson, but Kyler will quickly, and decisively run for big plays when he's not able to find an open receiver. Russ, on the other hand, is still looking down field for the big pass play. Or he will take the sack. He doesn't use his legs until the 4th quarter...

Elemas

Reaction score
Let's remember the first 5 games. What happened? Did defenses figure it out. While that may be part of it, we all know what really happened. It went back to Pete ball.

Russ DID play like shit and couldn't execute with the changes that were made. But, I find it hard to pin this on Russ.

All that hoorah without the ability to adapt....

Danny Darko

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":jcn28ixu said:

I would agree. Now that we have Schotty and the O-line protects he looks like he stays in the pocket and can't see over him. He's always been effective outside of the pocket and he's missing open guys and hanging on to the ball forever looking swallowed by taller folks until he's brought down. I would run the option more again and get him vision lanes if we are sticking with him because I think height has become an issue in the pocket.

John63

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":2rrh71hd said:

The problem with what you are saying is even 6 foot 2+ QBs need throwing lanes. Th eline man are 6 foot 5 so no QB shorter than 6 foot 6 can see without lanes, let alone throw.