Russell Wilson "lobbies" for more no huddle up tempo

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
austinslater25":xr8suhq4 said:
I don't think Wilson thinks it should be utilized all game long just in spots.
I think what he's really lobbying for is the keys to the Porsche. He wants to call the plays. He should.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":26brpc9w said:
Anthony!":26brpc9w said:
classicaaron":26brpc9w said:
i think hurry up or no huddle would work for wilson as he always tends to really find his rythym in those situations. its why hes had so many 4th quarter come backs.

however this doesnt match the philosphy of the team where you want to pound the ball, control the game clock and play solid defense.

its like 6 of one a dozen of the other, which method would really be better. wilson hitting his strides or letting beast mode go off. i think they need to do it situationally when the offense either struggles a bit or when wilson has his slow starts.
A Majority of the slow starts can be fixed my getting rid of the scripted plays, 25 scripted plays that must all be used before you start using plays that can take advantage of what is really happening is ridiculous. That is why we have slow starts most of the time those scripted plays do not work. I agree with more up tempo, sprinkle in some hurry up, no huddle and then some normal offense and you can keep the other team of balance. Even in the normal offense just provide the personal group and let Wilson call the play that is when things always seem to role. And above all stop be conservative and taking your foot off the throttle.
This was from a Seattle Times article in 2013 titled "Seahawks’ offense slowing after going off the script"

Seattle, like many teams, scripts about the first 15 offensive plays. The players are told what those plays will be the day before, and they rehearse them during the walk-through. The team won’t necessarily run those 15 plays in that exact order in the game, as there are some adjustments made for third-down situations or if the team has the ball inside the 20-yard-line, but for the most part, the team sticks to the sequence laid out in advance.

The goal of following that prepared script?

“We’re trying to execute well,” said Darrell Bevell, Seattle’s offensive coordinator. “We’re trying to score points, which I think we’ve done a pretty decent job of doing that. There’s some fact-finding you’re trying to find out.”

The offense is trying to judge defensive tendencies, to see if the opponent is using the same alignments and coverages as previous weeks and to test whether it is adjusting the same way.

Bill Walsh (who Pete takes much of his coaching philosophy from) was among the first to use scripted plays. As he puts it (Link):
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game. So we prefer to make our decisions related to the game almost clinically, before the game is ever played. … Without question you can make more objective decisions during the week as to what you would do in the game than you can spontaneously as the game is being played. To be honest with you, you are in a state of stress, sometimes you are in a state of desperation and you are asked to make very calculated decisions. It is rarely done in warfare and certainly not in football; so your decisions made during the week are the ones that make sense.”

thats all great but that was then and this is now and it has not worked well for us. FYI Bevell said I think a year or so ago he does 25 plays. The reality is you have a ply book with hundreds of plays but you are going to restrict yourself to no more than 25. That is pretty stupid. The FACT that we move the ball better once we are done with those plays or go uptempo or no huddle or hurry up proves that.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jake206":24v8yob2 said:
No more excuses, Wilson's not a sacred cow. This one is not on Bevell...this is on Wilson. Russell even admitted that he didn't get the ball out quick enough. Fans should no longer use Bevell's play calling as an excuse for his poor execution. Russ has to take responsibility for his mistakes. The onus is on the players not the coach. And at this point in Russell's development, he should be able to audible out of any play, he doesn't like.

Okay First Russell would take responsibility even if it was not his fault. That is what a leader does. That said Bevell has show he is a below avg play caller and our pass plays lack any NFL level work. Even the experts have said our route trees are High school level. As to Audible or not since you cannot prove he is allowed to you cannot put it on him. AS Rodgers said no QWB calls his own plays or audibles out of a lot of them. The fact Wilson completed 78% of his passes says he was doing his job and then some. Despite constant pressure, despite a drop TD by Stone Hands Luke, and despite no run game. Was it his best game , no but is was not a bad game either. The fact we moved the ball easily once w e went to uptempo were Wilson was controlling things tells anyone with an open mind who is not a member of the WHB what you need to know. Play calling and design when not in uptempo. hurry up, or no huddle sucks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jake206":3ehfvlvh said:
No more excuses, Wilson's not a sacred cow. This one is not on Bevell...this is on Wilson. Russell even admitted that he didn't get the ball out quick enough. Fans should no longer use Bevell's play calling as an excuse for his poor execution. Russ has to take responsibility for his mistakes. The onus is on the players not the coach. And at this point in Russell's development, he should be able to audible out of any play, he doesn't like.

Has it occurred to you that both Wilson and Bevell might be responsible?

I don't understand this thing where we fans insist that it's just one thing. I think we do it out of unconscious hope, because if it's just one thing, it's easier to fix.

In reality, Wilson's failing to pull the trigger or make the right decision on a lot of plays, and Bevell's putting him in a lot of situations that don't favor him or play to his strengths.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
When Wilson is the one running the show in no huddle, we move the ball effectively and fast.

I'm totally with Russell on this. Not to be used the whole game, but in certain moments.

Fire bevell

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2hwsp7il said:
When Wilson is the one running the show in no huddle, we move the ball effectively and fast.

Almost every offense in the NFL looks better in no huddle. It's not about calling the plays. Most times, you run a very simple version of your offense in no huddle. But you count on the potential to put the opposing defense on its heels and trap them into unfavorable personnel. However, there are consequences (to both sides of the team) that have to be balanced against any benefit you get from it.

For people who love the fullback, you can forget about that on a no huddle team. No way this team is running an entire series with a fullback on the field. We'll be 3WR/1TE or 2WR/2TE the entire time. A lot of shotgun. I hope people understand that.

OrFan

Reaction score
In my opinion what Wilson is really trying to say is...........

Fire Bevell!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think some of us hear no huddle and think hurry up. Mostly because we have rarely seen Seattle go no huddle of recent unless in hurry up.

But they are not the same. Hurry up is rapid fire pace, no huddle is a way to keep the defense from subbing. You can still take the playclock down to the nubs in no huddle.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yep. But even in a slow no-huddle, you change your identity a bit. Much less I-formation because two backs aren't optimal over an entire series. Also, Lynch is a consideration. Dude runs hard and pulls himself out of plays all the time as a result. Can't do that in no huddle without letting the defense sub. I wonder if you can get his buy-in. Historically, Turbin has always been the no-huddle back. Maybe because he can block, but maybe also because he doesn't have the juice to pull himself out.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I know pre-season isn't a good indication, but Philly blitzed GB defense with up-tempo and scored a lot of points against the Packers....they didn't do well the other night, but in spots, I think reducing the number of decisions for RW and allowing him to make plays is better than trying to out-execute teams.

The last 3 games (Green Bay, New England and then Rams), all had Seattle doing most of it's scoring while up tempo.

Latest posts